The Insurance Thread

Being based in the sticks it was the cheapest option compared to a childminder or creche. They actually lived with my in laws but minded our kids and theirs. We shared the costs but we paid more given the au pairs lived with them. It was still worth it until the last one left before Christmas leaving us with no childcare so WFH really saved us while we figured something out.

Not yet no

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1805922714957365539?t=UYClBVXZlPCYBZMQowndoQ&s=19

Jesus that’s an awful story

This is a funny one but bear with me. I’m booking car insurance for Reunion Island. Reunion Island is in France. It’s not a French protectorate or overseas territory or any of that. It is France. So, do I book insurance for a European trip? The exact wording is “The countries
of the continent of Europe plus Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey and Israel but excluding any trip in, to, or through Russia and Belarus”

France is very definitely “a country of the continent of Europe” but I’m not going to europe.

Continent of Europe would seem to indicate the land mass i.e not reunion

But France is a country of the continent of europe. It’s odd they dont mention it. No mention even of the canaries, which is surely way more popular

Reunion is part of France. All of their overseas territories are classed as such and their currency is the Euro.

Surely the car hire company have the insurance included in the price? That’s always been the case any time I hire a car abroad. There should be no need to transfer your own insurance.

No I’m buying separate insurance as it’s a good bit cheaper

Ok. Go for the France option then. Hopefully you’ll never have need to use it.

Be aware that if you buy insurance separately the car hire company may treat you as if you have no insurance, i.e. may put a block on your card and if you have an issue you would need to pay up to the car hire company and make your claim separately.

In my experience they usually ask and I give them the name of the company

1 Like

there should be detailed terms and conditions which explain and define what certain terms mean. gernerally they have a legal definition such as the EEA instead of the continent of europe. dig into the terms further and it should set out exactly what continent of europe is, as its far too vague to not have a definition

I’m so old now that they increase my insurance to a minimum payable premium.