The Irish in Britain

Any word as to how Owen Garvan is playing these days???

Apparently Meyler’s injury is cartilage as opposed to ligament based and might not be as bad as initially feared.

so you’re saying MBB was wrong then?

I was extremely disappointed for Meyler but this would be a boost given it was initially looking very bleak.

In fairness he was saying (after i said it btw :lol: ) that it was the same knee. Nobody was going to know what exact had been injured till as far off as today, which is what seems to have transpired.

Great news if true.

S’up Mac? I was just saying what Steve Bruce said mate, thought that was pretty clear from my post?

I see Colin Healy is starting for Ipswich tonight. Didn’t realise he was even with them. Thought he was going to be a great player for Ireland back in 2002 before his leg break. Do we have any claim to the Connor Wickham lad they have playing up front? He was born in England I think.

Darren O’Dea also on show for Ipswich. Played a lovely 50 yard pass out over the endline there :blink:

Wes Hoolahan had another productive day for Norwich, looked dangerous throughout

I see Jonathon Walters scored a couple of nice goals for Stoke tonight.

I haven’t seen much of him play, is he a viable option for Ireland?

I haven’t been overly impressed with him. He’s scored a few goals this season, and it is only a few but that’s all any Irish players are scoring it seems, but he’s not getting much of a start at Stoke where Jones and Fuller are ahead of him and they tend to only play one up front anyway with Tuncay behind. He’s played a few times on the wing for them too when they’re chasing a game but it’s hard to judge him on cameo appearances there and the last thing we need is another winger.

We seem to have a good few strikers quite similar to that ie. Best, Stokes, Walters, Keogh, Long, Sheridan (maybe I’ve left out someone). Long probably being the only one scoring goals consistently. It’s difficult to see any of these stepping up to the plate and replacing Keane when Ireland’s greatest ever striker hangs up the boots.

I thought you didnt watch EPL - you’re hardly relying on a Premiership highlights package every weekend as a guide to the quality of players are you?

Walters is incredibly average. Bustling, quick but no guile or anything to go with it. He aint a winger just a shit forward that gets moved to the wing late in games. He suits the rugby tactics Stoke employ as a squad player but thats about it. A better option that the likes of Best, Stokes, Murphy possibly but even then not by much. Wouldnt mind Noel Hunt getting back among the goals as I think he has more about him than Walters. Ive watched him two or three times by the way.

Long has been in good scoring form lately and also put in a decent performance in Slovakia. He is third choice at this stage.

Paul Keegan just signed for Doncaster from Bohs till the end of the season.
i believe Bohs have lost 7 of last years squad, i must try and compile a list of the palyers and what clubs they have gone to.

in other former LOI legends related news Connor Sammon ex UCD and now prolific scorer with kilmarnock is in talks with Scunthorpe.

did anyone watch or hear how Cobh’s finest John O Fynn got on for Exeter last night in the Auto Windscreens Southern Area Trophy final first leg for Exeter against Brentford?
the game was live on SS1 but im away working offshore at the moment and have only intermittent internet service

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 57160”]
Don Givens in helping the career of a young Irish player shocker.

:huh: :guns:

Don Givens nearly ruined Conneely, he was playing him for the Ireland U21’s in central defence, a joke. He’s not related to a centre half. Did nothng for his confidence and knocked him back quite a bit for a while.
He was the best right back in the LOI until he left and was outstanding v Bray in final relegation playoff game in CM. His sale might mean GUFC can field this season, but then again, maybe not.

Duffer almost scored an absolute cracker…hit the bar with a 25 yard drive. I see David Norris scored for Ipswich…didn’t he get an Irish cap? I believe some other team wants him too…anyone seen him play lately??

Saw Norris a couple of times for Ipswich, a fairly limited plodder and lacking mobility, pretty much Delap without the long throw…Ian Harte scored for Reading today, always had an auld soft spot for him, lovely left peg on him…

I can’t recall Norris ever playing for Ireland. His Wiki says he’s eligible and was spoken to by Staunton when he was manager but it doesn’t say he was capped.

I remember him playing for them in Football Manager 2010 alright but that was about it…

Stephen McPhail is supposedly back playing well for Cardiff these days, probably the wrong side of 30 and lacks the bite or mobility Trap likes

For the first time in a long time we had a decent number of lads playing in the EPL today…Wilson & Delap started for Stoke and Whelan came on after an hour, while Duff got 90 minutes for Fulham…Carr, Fahey & O’Shea all started in the United/Birmingham match…Dunne and Clark started for villa while Doyle, Hunt and Ward started for Wolves…Coleman got 90 miniutes for Everton as well & Best played 60 odd minutes for Newcastle