The Isuzu ute A league

[quote=ā€œThe Wild Colonial Bhoy, post: 904637, member: 80ā€]was at it yesterday, cant see how Brisbane will win it baesd on that, Brioch is great to watch but the rest of them lack composure

very close league where anyone can beat anyone

watching the roar in suncorp in the sun is class, roll on Perth Glory[/quote]
I know they beat you (again FFS), but how awful a team are Newcastle? They are the anti-football team, I fucking detest them and their scum fans.

Will Broich hang around Australia after this season?

bumped for fisty:D

Jesus christ. 4 defeats in a row, we were fucking BRUTAL on Friday night. 4 players atsrted from the team that won the grand final last year. Horrendous. Weā€™re playing in South Korea tomorrow night in the ACL, I dread to think what will happen.

Then Sydney on Saturday, hoping at long last to see Del Piero in the flesh.

Brisbane getting the wobbles @The Wild Colonial Bhoy ?

Finally, finally, I got to watch Allesandro Del Piero play football on Saturday. He was majestic, we won 2-1, breaking a five match losing streak. Sydney are an appalling football team, Del Piero is very slow and tired now, but you can see the class. He also seems to be a very nice man and I shook his hand after the game, which was pretty cool.

Brisbane Roar are the Hyundaiā„¢ A League Champions of 2014 after an extra time 2-1 triumph over the Western Sydney Wanderers last night at Lang Park, Brisbane, in front of a crowd of 52,000.

Congratulations to @The Wild Colonial Bhoy
Terrific game and the Roar are now the most sucessful football club in Australia with 3 A League titles. A remarkable achievement for the Wanderers to have reached their second final in the second season of their existance.
The Mariners amazingly finished third and were knocked out in the semi by the Wanderers.

Canā€™t wait for next season. football is taking off big time here. The NRL under serious pressure, crowds dropping, participation rates collapsing and scandal after scandal hitting this abomination of a sport.
Will be interesting to see what marquee players come here nest season. Damien Duff is mooted to be a big chance, Lots of rumours about Tottiā€¦

@Fitzy
i watched the 2nd half of Melbourne City and Wellington Phoenixes yesterday morning
Melbourne won 2-1 with a portly Ross McCormack who has been thru a string of championship clubs before getting the boot at Villa knocking in 2.
that lad from fiji roy krishna scored for the phoenixes and looked very lively all round, it was entertaining fare for a saturday morning and triggered me doing a bit of research on the whole thing,
it was difficult to gauge the standard, both defenses were non exisistent from most of the proceedings so it made for entertaining stuff, after one viewing i couldnt really place it, i would say tho , in comparsion to LOI , players are allowed more time on the ball and each team had a couple of standout footballers Kirishna, McCormack that may have papered over the restā€¦ it didnt have that typical hot country league feel about it that you see in cyprus, israel , greece and north africa where the players are all physically almost identical and play at a slow deliberate pace with very few goalsā€¦ this was all action stuff in fairness.

regarding melbourne, 2 teams in the city, both games yesterday were one after the other , the city game was sparesly attended one could see
it was hard for me to gauge the attendance, the size of the stadium tho led to very little athmosphereā€¦ the phoenixes bottom of the league but im guessing no system of relegation there

mccormackā€™s case made me think, ok Andy Keogh allegedly is doing ir for Perth, he is late 30ā€™s now, Roy O Dononovan did it for a while,these are lads retiring so im thinking the aussie league is place where journeymen could come to rest their weary bones and earn a few pound like MLS ā€¦ mccormack tho, its an odd one

there was big bash cricket and tennis on at the same time
a test match in sydney
does the soccer struggle for TV space?

in your own time there @Fitzy pleaseā€¦

Big bash is King this time of year. Thatā€™s more entertainment than sport though

The roar would get crowds of 10-15k.

Sorry mate, I will revert with a considered response later, first day back in work today.

Roars attendances are 40% down on last season

Ok

Itā€™s better than the Airtricity League. An A-League club has won the Asian Champions League when WSW won it in 2014. I couldnā€™t see an Airtricity team winning that. Also, the Socceroos team who I would consider to be fairly similar to us, will be 40% madeup of home based players. The Socceroos squad that home the Asian Cup in 2015 had 8 home based players, 5 of them would have been making a contribution. Couldnā€™t see Ireland ever drawing players regularly from the Airtricity. I suppose itā€™s a financial difference. They will hold on to their best home grown players slightly longer than the Airtricity, due to have more financial clout, however they will still leave, for example Mooy.

2 Likes

@mickee321
Itā€™s a strange one the A League. The association the FFA are itā€™s worst enemy, more interested in spin and stupid marketing gimmicks loke the recent Star Wars round ffs than building sustainable clubs. Their ongoing war witj Western Sydney supporters an example.
It certainly suffers from competition with other sports, which are more mainstream in Australian terms. Replicating a foreign football culture here isnā€™t really working and it needs to find itā€™s own way inztead of trying to ape European football.
The crowds are not good at all and falling. The standard has actually regresssed in the last two years (or at least since @Loko_Cove left these shores). Up to about 2 years ago, I thought it was going in the right direction, but a lot of teams have slipped. Melbourne Victory are terrible this season, ditto Brisbane. Adelaide play some very good football, but can be very flaky. Perth are completely inconsistent. Melbourne City are a fucking horrible corporate entity and a bunch of nasty little pricks on the pitch.
Neecastle are playing great football this season, a combination of a new manager, Ernie Merrick who has managed most A League clubs but kniws what heā€™s doing along with sone great signings, Oā€™Donovan one of them, though heā€™s injuredbat present.
The only club playing consistently good football, with a settled side, a definite plan and no ongoing on or off field dramas are Sydney Fc. They were last season and even more so now, years ahead of everyone else. Theyā€™ll win the title at a acanter.
The standard as I said has regressed, teams have very little structure and the defending as you saw is comical at times. The finishing is worse.
Itā€™s surprising as so much is being put into youth football and develoment now. I think in 10 years time the standard of player coming through will improve significantly as so many kids play football now in comparison to other sports.
The days of trying to sign huge names are over. We wonā€™t see another Del Piero. But there are some veey handy foreign players here, who would be well known in their native lands. Sydneyā€™s Ninkovic and Masjewjski are great examples and these kind of players are great for the league. Alingside that though there are the likes if that fat hun gimp we have to watch.
The biggest problem is apathy among the footballing class here. I know lots of chaps in their 20ā€™ and 30ā€™s who will start off Monday morning in work with an hour long conversation about the Epl and know everything about it. As soon as I mention the A League, they havenā€™t a clue and stare blankly at me. Sound familiar?
The ones who do know about domestic football donā€™t necessarily follow the A League. I have one mate who is typocal of this. A decent player in his day, still involved with a B licence, but for Blacktown City in the National Premier League, the second and third tiers. This supporter will be devoted and will turn up on a freezing cold tuesday night no problem to watch a bunch of semi pros.
This is wherr the whole argument for promotion / relegation kicks in. If Blacktown City or South Melbourne or Wollongong Wolves get promoted to the A League, you have a serious increase in crowds and probably standard too. Mediocrity then is no longer acceptable. It would probably be the end of my beloved Mariners in the A League, unless we start winning (though weā€™ve made a startt on that).
The FFA have to introduce it, stop treating fans like kids, stop being gimps and support grassroots football. Otherwise this league that I actually love will wither and die.
Sou d familar?

(Apologies for spelling and grammar, writing this on a phone)

3 Likes

I forgot to mention the abomination that is the VAR.
The Video Assistant Referee is a nice idea in theory. But itā€™s a fucking joke in practice. The FFA jumped atvthe chance to be the guinea pig for this, with basically no consultation whatsoever with players, clubs, supporters (stakeholder groups the Sir Humphrey like mandarins in the FFA could do without) or even the referees. So this season we have had the advent of the VAR, where the referee can stop the game, go to the sideline and view a play back if an incident on a fucking iPad. A player canā€™t request it incidentally, they will get booked for asking for it (Iā€™m not kidding).
Iā€™m sure this works in ā€œsportsā€ like rugby league and bridge and the like where there is an ad break every 3 minutes, but is association football, the beaitiful game we love, itā€™s a fucking disaster.
5 minute delay recently in a Sydney game to review an offside. Two Mariners players after getting justifiable yellow cards have them overturned when the ref goes to VAR. Overturned in that they were both sent off leaving us with 9 players against WSW. The Wanderers players were giving shit to the ref as they thought it was a joke. Meanwhile one if the Wanderers players gets away with a certain red (and three months for gbh if it was off of a football field) after a disgusting tackle.
The players hate it, the coaches hate i t, the refs hate it. Not that it matters to the FFA but the supporters absolutely hate it.
If itā€™s to be introduced to a leaf ue near you, resist. It will be the death of football.

1 Like

Interesting insights, @Fitzy.

I think itā€™s an offence for a player to ask for the VAR to be used wherever itā€™s been rolled out. Itā€™s seen as being similar to players waving imaginary cards and looking for opponents to be booked, for example. Iā€™ve watched a few Serie A games this season and players still do it.

I donā€™t have a list of what other leagues are using it in Europe but it was used in England for the first time ever last night in the FA cup third round tie between Brighton and Crystal Palace.

Say it ainā€™t so @Fitzy

1 Like

Farce

We havenā€™t renewed our membership for the coming season. Total jokeshop. Theyā€™re treating us like shit, Iā€™ve very nearly had enough of this bollocks. Iā€™ll give them one more season. I can take a team losing (Iā€™m a Wexford man and Ireland football supporter so Iā€™m used to it) but the sheer contempt this pommy bollocks owner is treating us with is too much.
I reckon Iā€™ll be a Wanderers supporter soon.

Big news coming out of Brisbane Roar tomorrow mate.

2 Likes

I see their Twitter account is ā€œFrozenā€ā€¦