The Joe Brolly tells porkies thread

“If he was so good in a courtroom he wouldn’t need to be turning tricks for RTE and the Mail to supplement his income.”

That’s begrudgers. Trying to run him down in other matters as he doesn’t agree with him on a subject and referencing money. “If he made enough”.
The fact that he earns 300k and does a lot of other things for free makes Fagan look stupid.
If you disagree with his view, argue that. Referencing money is the giveaway here.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1068071, member: 273”]“If he was so good in a courtroom he wouldn’t need to be turning tricks for RTE and the Mail to supplement his income.”

That’s begrudgers. Trying to run him down in other matters as he doesn’t agree with him on a subject and referencing money. “If he made enough”.
The fact that he earns 300k and does a lot of other things for free makes Fagan look stupid.
If you disagree with his view, argue that. Referencing money is the giveaway here.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was the limelight I was jealous of, kev?

Your thoughts made an awful fool of you.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1068071, member: 273”]“If he was so good in a courtroom he wouldn’t need to be turning tricks for RTE and the Mail to supplement his income.”

If you disagree with his view, argue that. Referencing money is the giveaway here.[/QUOTE]

You are the biggest begrudger on here.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1068059, member: 273”]@carryharry
I would also strongly consider a 2nd grade championship. If they want to keep the provincials as a stand alone pre-season then fine, that gives the small county the chance of a surprise and maybe silverware.
If you look at the divisional championships in Kerry, they are very highly rated and the odd time you’ll have a Junior team rattling a senior team and fairly regular intermediate beat senior. Those teams don’t think they should be in the Kerry senior championship however.
Wouldn’t say Sligo or Clare who have to a certain extent a gar for football and have half decent teams prefer a crack off Mayo or Kerry early and then go into a 16 team championship with a chance of winning.
Very few elite competitions in the world in team sport have 33 teams going for the cup, as invariably only a handful have a chance. NFL does, but look at their structure, nobody loses out.
I think the league should determine your championship placing. So I think 4 regional sections of 8 seems the logical solution. Cost is down straight away and teams already have 7 games so nothing changes. Get rid of national league finals or play offs, you’d just win your region and you are then preparing for provincial. I would consider scraping the provincials but there are too many yokels who want to keep them alive so everyone needs something. Provincials played in 4 week period, all finals in same weekend and a week break afterwards for all. Games finish on the day, end of story.

It means even the very first league game is of importance. I think it will also increase crowds as maybe your last 16 position gets you home or away. Let’s say cork are 3rd in the league going into the last league game with Tipp who are 2nd, Kerry 1st. Cork need the win to get a home last 16 spot. A loss will mean top 4 but the possibility of Dublin or Donegal away in last 16.
1/4’s onwards all in CP.

I think Provincials could start in middle of April. Championship starts in last week of may. You could maybe give a week between 1/4’s and semi’s (add to quality) and you’d nearly be done at tail end of June.

There is too much short sightedness for this right now, but at least the likes of this is being explored and talked about. Usually takes 5-6 years for the idea to become obvious to a lot of people.[/QUOTE]
We’re you in Australia when the Tommy Murphy Cup descended into farce because counties had no interest in it?

Because of the way it was treated, that’s why.

I think you just want to begrudge anything really as you don’t agree with his ways or much of his views.

By the counties who you think should be interested in it.

I wouldn’t begrudge you a box on the nose. You need it.

No by the GAA. They made U18 games more important and they did no promotion for it. RTE and other media partners would have to be on-board.
Sky would do a good job at it.

It also keeps the club game someway balanced. In a 32 team knock out some counties will be way ahead of others.
It also give CB’s a definitive time frame to run their leagues and then championships. It’s fairly simple really but you are too bogged down by nostalgia and a blurring memory.

Funnily enough I agree with a lot of what he says and how he says it. Where did I say otherwise. He is bang on the money about inter county training demands and what it will do to the game. Also admired him greatly as a player.
Thought he went ott about Tyrone against Monaghan that time but then he is a first cousin of Vinny Corey so that might put a bit of context on it.

Bitter and angry but also a coward.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1068094, member: 273”]No by the GAA. They made U18 games more important and they did no promotion for it. RTE and other media partners would have to be on-board.
Sky would do a good job at it.[/QUOTE]
Don’t be silly. You think Sky would broadcast a football game in a secondary competition between Waterford and Carlow in front of 200 people?

No but they’d make a big deal of the semis and finals (like they do with the challenge cup In Rugby) and in times that marketing will become embedded and then those first round games become more important to Carlow etc as they see Croke Park and tv and glory.

It won’t happen over night, but just cos they made a balls of it the last time does not mean it’s a bad idea. These things take time. Sky are patient, RTE and the GAA not so much.

[QUOTE=“Fagan ODowd, post: 1068097, member: 706”]Funnily enough I agree with a lot of what he says and how he says it. Where did I say otherwise. He is bang on the money about inter county training demands and what it will do to the game. Also admired him greatly as a player.
Thought he went ott about Tyrone against Monaghan that time but then he is a first cousin of Vinny Corey so that might put a bit of context on it.[/QUOTE]
You questioned his skills as a lawyer and inferred he is greedy. But I surmise you are jealous of him making that money and getting to do side jobs he enjoys like writing and football and being in TV. He clearly loves it. I think that’s you exposing your unhappiness.
You are begrudging him it.

I make money off a sideline, it makes me happy to do it and it’s cream. I’d probably still do it with out the money. In fact I often have. People who make twice as much as me over all have openly begrudged it of me. I can see begrudgers a long way off.

For some reason the lads think I missed your quip about the family, however this was just deflection on your part, a reasonable one, but ultimately irrelevant.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1068105, member: 273”]You questioned his skills as a lawyer and inferred he is greedy. But I surmise you are jealous of him making that money and getting to do side jobs he enjoys like writing and football and being in TV. He clearly loves it. I think that’s you exposing your unhappiness.

I make money off a sideline, it makes me happy to do it and it’s cream. I’d probably still do it with out the money. In fact I often have. People who make twice as much as me over all have openly begrudged it of me. I can see begrudgers a long way off.

For some reason the lads think I missed your quip about the family, however this was just deflection on your part, a reasonable one, but ultimately irrelevant.[/QUOTE]
:oops:

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1068105, member: 273”]You questioned his skills as a lawyer and inferred he is greedy. But I surmise you are jealous of him making that money and getting to do side jobs he enjoys like writing and football and being in TV. He clearly loves it. I think that’s you exposing your unhappiness.

For some reason the lads think I missed your quip about the family, however this was just deflection on your part, a reasonable one, but ultimately irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

[evil comment] Do you not need to have an actual job to class something else as a sideline? [/evil comment]

Ya you would. Are you that thick?

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1068103, member: 273”]No but they’d make a big deal of the semis and finals (like they do with the challenge cup In Rugby) and in times that marketing will become embedded and then those first round games become more important to Carlow etc as they see Croke Park and tv and glory.

It won’t happen over night, but just cos they made a balls of it the last time does not mean it’s a bad idea. These things take time. Sky are patient, RTE and the GAA not so much.[/QUOTE]

they were getting viewing figures of 5000 for big championship games during the summer

In the first year.
Point is they may make others up their game