The Joe Brolly tells porkies thread

How so?

Boylan is a traditional medical herbalist. That meath team were juiced up.

1 Like

I thought you meant tyrone!

Correct and being addressed albeit slowly in Cork aswell- not before time

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say linking the Meath game in 1996 to the muck that Tyrone play today is totally incorrect and pure internet psychology.

Mcguiness and his defensive shite has had more of an influence in recent times.

A team getting pushed around has nothing to do with a style of play. Meath were a good team, they won 2 out of 4 All Irelands. Tyrone’s approach didn’t really change till Harte took over and it’s gotten progressively more negative.

Meath kicked the shit out Kerry one year too around that time.

If you were to use a game that was cathartic to a team’s approach you might reference galway kilkenny in 01 where Cody actually did change and said so.

The Kerry forwards didn’t show up too well last year, they seemed to have a lad just out of minor carrying them. It’s laughable the way Kerry get talked up.

No I really don’t think it is incorrect at all. Tyrone went down in 1995, after seeing their neighbours win each of the last 4, and came up short against Dublin. They went down in 1996 fully expecting to put things right, Meath treated them like children and it had a massive impact on them. They felt a terrible injustice had been done and came up with an entirely new approach, led by Harte at minor and U21 first before taking on the seniors. Even the Italian above says that Tyrone learnt a lot from the Meath defeat about what it takes to win.

Grand so.

Meath took at least 1 Sam from Cork by a bit of thuggery

That bunch were tough cunts, cynical as well on the pitch at times, but they showed that they were classy human beings at John Kerins funeral

3 Likes

The only team to have multiple players fail drugs tests are Kerry.

Colm O’Rourke boasting about giving DJ Keane a sucker punch from behind to his ear will tell you what you need to know about that Meath team.

Winners will always cross the line to get the job done.

Yeah without doubt

Possibly, but Cody did take over a county which was always competitive, as hurling was and is the be all and end all in kilkenny, with few other major sporting distractions. He also had a bit of luck with the players who became available to him.
Where cody differed from others was his absolute ruthless desire for victory, something he infected his teams with. Whilst this certainly added some all irelands that they would otherwise likely not have won, that panel would have won plenty regardless. It was just a perfect storm of playing talent and an amoral manager who’s absolute single mindedness created the structure which maximised the talent.
Im not altogether sure that this can be recreated in the foreseeable future, as the demands and distractions of a work/life balance may shorten the natural IC hurling career at the top end, and as other panels have finally got to the level of kilkenny’s work ethic.
BC is certainly worth a few points to his teams, and absolutely is an advantage in tight games, and is a master tactician, but at present it isn’t quite enough on its own, and I dont think it’ll bring sustained success, as other counties have finally moved and caught up.
KK have always been, and will remain perennial contenders, but thats a given.

They are not contenders this year.

On any given day, with a bit of luck, they could turn over most teams. I doubt they will turn over enough to win the all ireland, but they will be hard beat.

Covering all your bases there then, " they will or the won’t " . Typically of ye lot sitting on the fence and not having the bottle to call it.

I have called it. They are highly unlikely to win the aif this year. They could easily win leinster though.

The 36 All Irelands they have won could be something to do with it

1 Like

He was livid with how they capitulated against 14 man galway and felt they were too soft.

He made them harder and picked bigger players. That was my point. That defeat forced a re think of his approach.

He obviously had good players to pick from.