The Joe Brolly tells porkies thread

[QUOTE=“fenwaypark, post: 1069504, member: 276”]@carryharry is spot on. Rural clubs have been hugely affected by emmigration in past few years. IF these clubs were unable to select minors they would struggle to field a team in many cases. In addition, some of these players can make a huge difference as to whether a club is competitive or not. If clubs become uncompetitive, they will lose players of all ages.

The rule about minors should be restricted to senior clubs IMHO.[/QUOTE]
Good to see some honesty about the gga dying

[SIZE=6]Waterford Crystal Cup Hurling Preliminary Round – Tipperary v Mary I[/SIZE]
Tipperary will play Mary I in the Preliminary Round of the Waterford Crystal Cup on Friday January 9th at 7:30pm in Dr. Morris Park Thurles.
Team News
The Tipperary Senior Hurling team to play Mary Immaculate College Limerick has been named as follows – Darragh Egan (Kildangan); Joe O’Dwyer (Killenaule), Paul Curran (Mullinahone), Conor O’Brien (Eire Og Annacarty); Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch), Thomas Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons), Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields); Kieran Bergin (Killenaule), Gearoid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons); Denis Maher (Thurles Sarsfields), Liam Treacy (Loughmore-Castleiney), Patrick Maher (Lorrha); Shane Bourke (JK Brackens), Seamus Callanan (Drom & Inch), David Butler (Drom & Inch)

[QUOTE=“ChocolateMice, post: 1069348, member: 168”]By Paul Keane
Talented teenagers in the GAA are playing for as many as 10 teams at any one time and regularly training twice a day to serve their many masters.

The revelations are contained in a report into minor activity in the GAA which concludes that the current level of application by many players is “unsustainable”.

Micheal Martin chaired the work group and worryingly revealed how it’s not unusual to find young players training or playing as often as 12 times in a nine-day period.

The report comes in the wake of pundit Joe Brolly’s claim that GAA players are “little more now than indentured slaves” because of the commitments demanded of them.

The committee has proposed that, in future, minor players be barred from playing at U21 or senior level in the same year.

At club level, it’s recommended that only players who are in their final year of minor — they must be ‘over 17’ — be allowed play in adult competition.

The committee also want to overhaul the current minor schedule to include a provision for more midweek fixtures and the scrapping of All-Ireland football quarter-finals.

A separate proposal to standardise the format of the minor provincial football championships and offer every team a second chance if they lose their opening game, is part of the reasoning for getting rid of All-Ireland quarter-finals.

Elsewhere in the document, it is advised that a more “equitable system” be adopted to accommodate Galway and Antrim at minor hurling level and give both a second opportunity, if required.

But the general theme of the document is that too much of a burden is placed on young players and that something must be done to avoid burnout or players simply giving up.

“There are players doing 12 sessions in nine days and maybe even more in some situations,” said Martin.

“They’re training twice a day and have no chance of recovery. These players are being asked to do too much. It is just unsustainable.

“It’s certainly unsustainable at minor level and there are issues at U21 level. We have acknowledged that the U21 level needs to be looked at in our report as well.

“I managed my own (senior) club team last year and it is difficult, I’ve seen it myself, club players are finding it very difficult and we have to strike a balance.”

The 14-man minor review committee, which included Gaelic Players Association chief Dessie Farrell, consulted widely and produced an interim report last August which allowed for stakeholders to give feedback.

More than a dozen players aged between 17-22, including Clare’s Podge Collins, Wexford’s Matthew O’Hanlon and Louth footballer Ryan Burns, who have experienced difficulties of extensive activity at underage level, contributed to the document.

“Matthew O’Hanlon was involved with 10 teams at minor,” said committee member Ger Ryan. “He was a dual player at inter-county level, then with the club he was playing at three levels in hurling and football and also at school. That made up 10 teams.

“I don’t see how that’s physically possible. Managers in some cases are enlightened but in other cases they’re saying to the player, ‘you have to give your priority to our team’.

“The other thing is that we have to look at players as individuals. We hear about this one size fits all training, teams training X number of times per week and every player having to do the same thing. But this is a collection of 30, 35 players and all their needs aren’t the same. Again, on the more enlightened panels, you’ll get a reflection of clear thinking but too often it’s one size fits all and the individual player has to be seen to be there all the time. I’d ask the question, is that necessary?

“If a school asks a guy to train at half 7 in the morning and a county panel ask him to train at half 7 in the evening, he’s not going to say, ‘no’. He might also be doing his Leaving Cert.

“So he leaves home at maybe half 6 and he mightn’t be home until, say, 10 at night. And what is his nutrition like throughout the day? I think there are a whole raft of issues.”

Martin believes it is a reasonable and pragmatic report and that the proposals stand a good chance of being voted through Congress late next month.

“I don’t think this is a radical report, I think it’s reasonable,” said Martin. “All of the proposals are reasonable ones that will make a difference.

“I would be very hopeful about its chances. The one thing we’ve found is that counties acknowledge that there is a problem. And what we’re trying to do is propose solutions.”[/QUOTE]

Hardly a revelation? Or revelations?

Joe Brolly is wrong. Most inter county players actually like the routine and the relatively high level of competition and training. I’ve asked 87% of them. Joe is projecting his view on the modern day player.

I didn’t read the report but clearly the fixtures and competition structure that’s in place is archaic and totally unfit for purpose in the modern age.

Playing the third level competitions in spring is nuts. They’ve lost their raisin d’ĂȘtre in modern times anyway with the practice of recruiting players degrading it.

I got new led spot lights for the living room this week and I must say I’m really pleased with the light they’re emitting.

Raising the age from 17 to 18 is like sticking a finger in a dyke. What does that actually mean? Finger in a lesbian? I don’t know.

Banning football altogether seems like the most practical solution.

Because the Ga is built on parochialism this issue will be very, very difficult to resolve. If little Johnny goes to play for Leinster Wexford Wanderers becomes a distant memory. And he’ll be applauded and it seems like the natural progression.

The fact that each county has different internal competition structures is nuts too. If this is standardised and fixtures are made centrally by Croke Park it would lead to less control by inter county managers.

The u21 grade at club level is a bit of a waste of time.

[QUOTE=“Appendage, post: 1070416, member: 11”]Hardly a revelation? Or revelations?

Joe Brolly is wrong. Most inter county players actually like the routine and the relatively high level of competition and training. I’ve asked 87% of them. Joe is projecting his view on the modern day player.

I didn’t read the report but clearly the fixtures and competition structure that’s in place is archaic and totally unfit for purpose in the modern age.

Playing the third level competitions in spring is nuts. They’ve lost their raisin d’ĂȘtre in modern times anyway with the practice of recruiting players degrading it.

I got new led spot lights for the living room this week and I must saw I’m really pleased with the light they’re emitting.

Raising the age from 17 to 18 is like sticking a finger in a dyke. What does that actually mean? Finger in a lesbian? I don’t know.

Banning football altogether seems like the most practical solution.

Because the Ga is built on parochialism this issue will be very, very difficult to resolve. If little Johnny goes to play for Leinster Wexford Wanderers becomes a distant memory. And he’ll be applauded and it seems like the natural progression.

The fact that each county has different internal competition structures is nuts too. If this is standardised and fixtures are made centrally by Croke Park it would lead to less control by inter county managers.

The u21 grade at club level is a bit of a waste of time.[/QUOTE]
Having 21’s early in the year is quite a recruitment tool in Cork. That age group are very social and still influenced by their peers greatly. Get them in for 21 and you will hold on to quite a few.
It’s also some of the best quality games you’ll see and it’s knock out

Brolly, John Galvin and some banjo player discussing player welfare on Sunday Sport now.

I think Brolly wrote an article eulogising Crossmaglen’s training methods recently. 500 x 200m sprints. Training at half time. Etc.

County player suspected of leaking info to Joe Brolly victimised in training

The ‘slave’ debate which Joe Brolly ignited in recent weeks rages on and one player, suspected of passing information to the pundit, has been singled for special treatment in training.

The Sunday Game pundit described inter-county players as “indentured slaves” this week as he explained how extensive training levels were affecting players welfare, in his opinion.

He backed up his point by claiming that a number of the top players in Ulster were unemployed and by stating his belief that it is almost impossible for a inter-county player to build a career in the current climate.

During his interviews, Brolly seemed to have detailed knowledge of the training regimes in certain camps.

In a two-page special in today’s Gaelic Life, Brolly revealed that a player, who was suspected of passing him information, was targeted by his fellow team mates.

“He was hit hard and late and subjected to verbal abuse. It is the sort of story you might associate with jocks playing US college football, or marines at an army training cam,” he wrote.

One of the things Brolly suggests the GAA change is the length of the inter-county season and he continued that argument today.

“It might mean less money. Wherein lies the problem. Capitalism has seduced the current leadership, to the extent that the option of protecting the club players, the county players, the members and the noble ideals of the association is seen as radical and unreasonable,” he added.

This fella. :rolleyes:

Huh?

Brolly.
Actually, that ape telling him tales deserved what he got.

[QUOTE=“carryharry, post: 1074583, member: 1517”]Brolly.
Actually, that ape telling him tales deserved what he got.[/QUOTE]
I’d imagine Brolly could have talked Thatcher out of her knickers, let alone some harmless intercounty player. He’ll make a wonderful GAA President.

:eek:

Well if you had a choice, would you vote prefer Brolly or that utter UTTER cunt Jarlath Burns?

He is dead right.

Option no3 please.

Kev.

Dyas was in the media today debunking some of the myths regarding McGeeney’s regime.

:smiley:

Aidan Walsh sums it up - nobody makes you play inter county.

"I know it’s a lot of commitment and effort, but there is nobody holding a gun to our head, nobody forcing us to play. It’s our own decision. If he thinks we are slaves, that’s his opinion.”

I must say I’m starting to warm to this cunt.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-brands-the-use-of-blanket-defences-as-footballing-myxomatosis-and-slams-harte-31106705.html
"Mickey Harte said ‘we’re not in the business of entertainment’. Well then f**k off and play behind closed doors if you’re not in the business of entertainment. :smiley: