The Joe Brolly tells porkies thread

The one amusing thing is clearly pat Spillane was warned he’d need to up his game regards including stats in his analysis so every now and then he throws in some totally random stat like 8 of the 12 teams that won last week played with the wind in the first half that a niece or nephew probably put together for him.

7 Likes

I’d rather watch brolly or dunphy getting it wrong than suffer cavanagh or doyle getting it right, so i would

7 Likes

It was better when they were all squashed into a tiny studio than this nonsense of podiums above in the Nally Stand with stupid headphones on them.

4 Likes

There used to be a great tradition back in Ryle’s day of randomly showing a programme called “The Sports Files”. It would show highlights of Ireland’s famous win against The Netherlands in 2001 or BOD’s hat-trick in Paris in 2000.

1 Like

Better still is when Joanne is standing and the guests are sitting down , like kids in school

2 Likes

The big thing is that Brolly and Loughnane just had just a feel for the game and occasion.

Like, imagine if Loughnane had been there for the Munster final. If they cut to him straight after the end of normal time there’d have been no mention of boring stats or possession percentages.

He’d have given an excited spiel lauding both teams, the history of the competition, the atmosphere in Thurles and how the extra time would be decided by pure raw savage hunger and iron will.

Even the famous incident with Cavanagh v Monaghan, it was the defining moment of the game and Brolly captured the absurdity of the rule - only a yellow card - perfectly. If it was Eamon Fitzmaurice he’d have said something in that monotone, dreary, Fr Stone voice of his and the viewer would have switched over.

21 Likes

And not a Cantwell in sight. Oh those were the days my friend

There was great banter between Tomas Mulcahy and Loughnane. They’d nearly be cutting them off to cut to a parade before a Munster championship game. They’d be in full flow about incident from twenty years ago.

Loughnane used to love to tell the story about wearing a limerick cap at an all Ireland final too.

1 Like

Brolly and Loughnane would make bold predictions too and not give a fuck if they were wrong.

All the better when their pre match predictions blew up in their faces and they’d twist the whole thing to suit themselves.

1 Like

Loughnane talking as the teams went around the parade during the 2018 final still puts the shivers up me.

‘After so much pain, after so much heartbreak, is this the day the drought ends…? This young team who’ve performed so well, can they go out and deliver and not let the occasion get to them. If they do I think this is their day…’

No shiteing on about improving their puck out efficiency, he just had such a feeling for the game.

10 Likes

Its show business baby

2003 when we he said he’d eat his hat if Tyrone and Brian Dooher won the All-Ireland😂 Even as a young lad I could tell it was obvious after they’d blitzed the league that Tyrone were on a mission for Sam.

I was always disappointed with how Loughnane fared in Galway. The tales of the 90’s had me convinced that he’d win an All-Ireland with the tribesmen.

1 Like

Wasn’t it Colm O’Rourke who made the eat his hat reference in relation to Dooher? And then did a mea culpa pretending to take a bite out of a straw hat on the final coverage after full time? I may have gotten that all wrong.

2 Likes

Was Cyril ever officially given the boot or did he step away of his own accord?

Another big loss. You could tell Cyril and Loughnane had savage respect and warmth for each other. Real hurling people who just loved the game.

Now it’s Derek McGrath and iPads- bland, bland and more bland.

18 Likes

Correct. A bad statement by me. Christ Colm O’ Rourke has regressed since then in punditry terms. That was quite an outlandish and box office thing to do. He wasn’t even chosen on Sunday from what I could make out from my angle in the Hogan.

Lads, FFS, Dunphy is ready to keel over. Will you let the man alone.

I used love when the panel would turn to him as a Spanish Football expert, and he not having a fucking scooby doo.

1 Like

How twee

The time he said the Spanish team were refusing to sing the national anthem as a mark of respect to the Catalans in the squad😅

5 Likes

Eamon used to convince everyone the standard in La Liga was unreal because Real Madrid had only beaten Getafe 1-0 the previous weekend.

“If they can stick with Galway for 50/55 minutes then bring on the cavalry to see them home”…was the only 1 of the 3 to tip us Shefflin had Sheedy went for Galway

1 Like