The Joe Brolly tells porkies thread

Agreed on that. Rugby is everything Brolly rails against with GAA. GPA would see provincial funding of salaries from central sources as where they want to end up.

i also think it is clear the Irish provinces won’t be able to compete financially with French and English clubs

There is also a link to international game and moving around residency rule requirements.

Irish Times again

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/european-cup/irish-provinces-out-of-place-in-rugby-s-rich-man-s-world-1.2429427%3Fmode%3Damp

They don’t want to. Their business model is completely different. By and large they have been able to compete on the pitch.

Big investments in the academies mean you are bringing through players to fill your squad that cost a fraction of their equivalent in France e.g. Madigan gets paid in France more I’d say than the three back up Leinster out halves combined do. Loads of actual academy members play regularly in Ireland these lads are on 20k probably.

IRFU sells a decent offering to the top players here. Decent money with a moderate workload compared to France and UK. Fuck all of the top players leave as a result despite the fact they could get paid plenty more elsewhere

3 1/4 finalists likely would not tally with that. French maybe 2.

Crowds back up.
International ream flying.
Better club and youth structures and coaching
Emerging playing of rugby in traditional “gah” schools

And so on. The IRFU has been slowly pulling the rug from under the GAA for 10 years. They openly have an eye on the talent within GAA. The GAA have gleefully been moving the rug along for them unawares.

If the GAA blocks the CPA or the CPA (or any subsequent version of it) fails in its aims of uniting club players then i see that as the start of the end for GAA and it will be comfortably the 4th sport in 10-15 years.

Loads of parents are pulling the rug from Rugby…Numbers dropping in a big way at school boy.

4 Likes

Not true really.
Some screaming marys are no doubt, but the fall off is less than the growth.

Incorrect.

That is just not true. Concussion and perceived risk of it is causing player numbers to fall.

GAA is dominating in rugby heartland of South Dublin. International game is corporate hospitality. I know. I am one of them.

Rules are indecipherable and the TMO is used more and more slowing game down to a ridiculous extent.

#As many as 50 per cent of 11 to 12 year olds stop playing when they move from primary to secondary education

Not true. Last check numbers were up.

In Ulster and Munster in particular they are growing in traditional Gah schools too.

Thats always been the way ffs

Incorrect again.

???

Huh?

From the article you just posted pal
It appears the anecdotal evidence of mothers not wishing their children to play or individuals becoming fed up with or disillusioned with the game are not the reasons young people fall away

I can link all day - adult numbers falling too. Rugby destroyed its clubs in a calculated and deliberate attempt to grow a provincial elite sport

You sure do have ab ability to find rubbish articles with little facts.

Nobody has researched it hence “it appears” but…

#A survey commissioned by Headway and Laya healthcare revealed that two-thirds of parents now consider the risk of injury influences what sports they allow their children to play.

1 Like

And you have an ability to make outlandish claims based on zero substance.

Post up a Persil survey for us.

3 Likes

Don’t shoot the messenger.

Kids go to school and tend to follow their mates. Most schools are gaa schools or not sporty at all. Rugby works traditionally off a very small base. The club playing students go to GAA schools and that would have traditionally taken over. Certainly the way in towns around Munster who had a tradition of underage GAA & Rugby.