The Joe Brolly tells porkies thread

Just read the article, bizarre as Rogbee is dying in the southern hemisphere

1 Like

The GGA is dominating in south Dublin. :joy:

Cuala win a few games in stick ball and suddenly it’s huge in South Dublin.

The majority of kids in south Dublin will be seen out playing with a football or a rugby ball.

If anything the GGA lost significant influence in south Dublin 30 years ago when soccer encroached into traditional GGA only schools like Oatlands, Benildus and Clonkeen. The only GGA school which has kept up regularly is Colaiste Eoin, where they ban other sports to keep it on top. I couldn’t name one other proper GGA school on the southside. The GGA are great for sending some coaches into primary schools and claiming those as players but it is not big.

Field hockey is bigger on the southside than hurling.

1 Like

Cuala was going to buy Blackrock grounds. About 6 times more members

Crokes has 130 teams in the club.

Calling the GAA the GGA makes you look like a lad who wears a jumper over his shoulders.

8 Likes

Hard to believe this discussion has never been had on here before

5 Likes

Did they buy them? They didn’t have the cash pal, so couldn’t.

On the southside;

1 Football
2 Rugby

Close but football would be yuge in places like Tallaght

Daylight

3 Bogball
4 Golf

(3 & 4 Close)

5 Field hockey
6 Basketball
7 Stick ball
8 Tennis

6, 7 & 8 would be very close, toss up really.

Sorry Cuala.

Club rugby is dead.

from speaking to a few of the guys down my local LTC they would have tennis ahead of stick ball

And did they?

There is currently a partnership between Cabinteely and Blackrock that is working very well. Good community sport, coming together. Same goes on at Railway Union and Kilboggit Park.

Sheet I forgot about cricket, that has to be in the mix as well. I’d say tennis is higher myself but I didn’t want to hurt @TheUlteriorMotive’s feelings too much.

1 Like

My original point was Joe Brolly used rugby to bash GAA when rugby has destroyed the club game that Brolly holds so dear in GAA to create an elite level.

Everything else is tangential

Is that when you have your mickey out in a sunbed?

2 Likes

Oh wait, that’s tangenital.

My bad.

1 Like

Now he’s crawling back into his bunker after been shown up. :smirk:

Club rugby in Ireland being damaged was inevitable once professionalism came in.

The GGA desperately need to adapt as the paying public are turning their backs on the product on the field. Attendances going down year after year. No longer can the GGA rely on the average Irishman being exposed only to monoculture Ireland. It started with Italia 90 when the Leinster Council saw their attendances fall off a cliff but stuff like the qualifiers and the Oirish soccer team performing under par for years helped the GGA stave off the collapse for a time.

The proliferation of wireless broadband though has changed everything in the last 10 years. The ones who can get the internet now love their Fantasy NFL and Netflix, they aren’t going to sit around watching hand passes all winter. It’s a good thing that the Government’s rural broadband strategy has been delayed until 2022 as the GGA would be really screwed then.

3 Likes

It hasn’t been popular. But Ulster Tugby are making inroads in non traditional areas and have money to back them. Alot of which is not IRFU money.

anything to back that up

So lads don’t start playing it until 13 ?? Says a lot about the skills required for it if you can pick it up that late.

6 Likes

It has no real presence in nationalist areas of the North.

What’s the highest division a rugby club is in the Southern Leagues from Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan.

Who was the last Ulster rugby player to attend a Catholic school in Ulster?

It might find a smidgen of popularity with Castle Catholics but it probably always had that anyway. You’ll get the bandwagoners who will go to rugby games but the fact is they have little general interest in playing it.

1 Like

Here is just one example of Ulster Rugby put money and resources where their mouth is. No talk all action.
I know from talking to people who work within the IRFU and Munster that this is strategic and very much playing the long game.

money?

they got a grant

There is strong readon to believe now that starting a sport after puberty, while not the exact same, is almost as good a time to start as when 5/6/7. You literally become a new man. Linb lengths change significantly etc. Many skilled athleres before that age fade after, there is reason to believe this is because they don’t recalibrate and to a certain degree go back to basics again.