The Joe Brolly tells porkies thread

Not so much anymore although some certainly would. Some rural clubs might sell their surplus to the dublin clubs who would need them or might have a pre match lunch and make a few quid on them that way.

My club throws a tenner onto all tickets and you must be a member to purchase. So raise plenty money through people becoming members to get access to a ticket.

A senior club would get 200 tickets approx for an international and for the English game could offload the entire for 500 quid a pop + with one phonecall if they wanted. Wouldn’t get away with it for long though and IRFU would step in. Threat of taking away access to these tickets is the biggest whip the IRFU has over the clubs

1 Like

I think central to it all is the IRFU are openly corporate/professional and move forward at every chance.
The GAA plays the amateur card and its bullshit, its corporate/professional too. But its not progressive.

I think thats the nub of it. We don’t have to look far to see how its done well and also if we’re not careful this sport will become the dominant middle to upper class game, which lets face it GAA is now.

Anybody who went would be interested/willing to learn. They have regular coaching seminars - issue is often getting it then rolled out

Was about his usual mix skill acquisition, effective practice and peak performance. Mix of theory and practical stuff. Spread a bit thin maybe but some good nuggets was what I heard

Main issue in Crokes is lack to experience playing of a lot of coaches and wrong people pushing forward

1 Like

Not always a bad thing as long as tgere is some accompanyment of experience.

Some of the best guys i worked with over the years were useless and gave up early or even never played. A mix is best.

They tend to by-pass GAA bullshit and clichĂŠ

Yeah but if GAA goes down that road a lot of people including Brolly would be up in arms. A first step is take IC players away from clubs completely like rugby did with their equivalents

Not sure I see it. In fact I see in Crokes which is a huge middle class club and in some ways that is the problem it and rugby have. No tribalism or belonging - lots of new members, six or seven teams per age group. In many ways it is a sports and leisure club as much as a GAA club in how people relate to it. Maybe a middle class thing generally but in Dublin Crokes has “defeated” rugby by doing what rugby clubs did but doing them better

1 Like

It’s an issue with hurling especially. Football less so.

Fall off in hurling already is noticeable in the eight year olds. One conversation I overheard was keep in in hurling as it will make a golfer out of him. Maybe it will but a lack of tradition does hamper things

Some of the kids though are amazing. Can see them stand out a mile. Big emphasis on shooting with both feet (not allowed refer to weaker foot - just other foot).

I think the IC players will be gone soiner than we think. CPA numbers very encouraging already. They may well have power of number in 10/11 months.

They have rattled both GPA & GAA and a big show down may well be coming.

Typical GAA, see everything as a threat and not a chance to move forward.

No difference between hurling and football. Skills just as hard to teach/pick up in football at 6-9.

Yes athletic people can excel in football with less skill moreso than hurling, however thats only at elite level. Not a coaching issue really.

Utter shit

Half the ic players have no skill. O gara , kilkenny etc

1 Like

Ya i’m working with 2 underage teams at the moment. One club was lucky enough to have people within who could coach and they also delivered FMS. The difference is simply unbelievable. If people saw it they would be hiring S&C Coaches with FMS skills immediately.

1 Like

Pmsl

2 Likes

Yeah it’s certainly not innate/learned on the street/playground anymore

Must say its improving. At least some sports/schools/institutions are pushing it now and realise the issues

Rogic :grinning:

You should read the story for the amusing Zlatan anecdote at the beginning from when he played for Ajax vs Aberdeen

Link please?

2 Likes

Thats excellent. Aboy Joe.

You don’t have to have been a horse to be a jockey

2 Likes

When you’re explaining, you’re losing

4 Likes