The Joe McDonagh Cup incorporating Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard and whoever else

He picked the ref as his man of the match. How twee.

Psychologically Offaly will have none of the baggage that Laois always do whenever they play in Leinster and they’ll have big support behind them.

A history of success matters, it raises the ceiling of what players imagine they can achieve. No Laois player would imagine they could ever win an All-Ireland. Offaly do imagine they can. Development paths get altered on the basis of expectations.

What’s a nutrionalist?

A great example of a dull acceptance speech here. Special thanks to the nutritionalist. polite applause

They should really cut off the PA after 2 minutes of these speeches

1 Like

Of the established players (23-32 years old) on the Offaly team I think the Sampsons, Cillian Kiely and Connelly are the only ones that would even make a top tier panel.

Dan Bourke, Chalie Mitchell, Donal Shirley are all young but could be ready. Dan Ravenhill was injured today but if he gets himself fit then he will be too.

Adam Screeney, Cathal King, Colin Spain and a couple of more of those 18/19 year olds will get eaten up next year.

Cork will beat them by 25 points in two weeks time.

1 Like

Ah you cant hit 17 wides and expect to win shit. Offaly tied up, we had them ran down, despite the goals, and fucked it away

Pity

2 Likes

Ah we got what deserved really. I’d feel for a few lads who hurled savage out there but the finishers didn’t finish.

He’s been fucked with injuries all year. Never got a run at all. He hurled on memory out there and it showed. Him, Willie and Roddy to a lesser extent didnt do what they were brought in to do.

Corby and Paddy emptied themselves.

1 Like

Probably but Clare beat Dublin by 18 points last year. Dublin could win a Leinster title this evening. Will Offaly win Leinster next year, no they won’t, but it is to say that teams can improve if they have expectations of competing and winning and a proper set up in place.

Because of Offaly’s history of success and recent underage success, the demands and expectations that will be in Offaly as regards senior hurling are far, far greater than they would be in Laois. Laois had they won today would have had no greater hope in the Leinster championship than to finish fifth on a perennial basis. This is true of the Laois team and public. Westmeath and Carlow would have lower expectations again.

Even the game today demonstrates this. Laois were in position A1 to win it and any rational reading of the game with 68 minutes gone said they would win it. Offaly were in freefall. But there were three points scored from then on and all of them were scored by Offaly, why, because Offaly are Offaly and Laois are Laois.

Offaly is a totally different ball game to Laois or the other Leinster minnows. They are a hurling county.

…they are shite. A rubbish Cork team would hammer them out the gate.

1 Like

Cork aren’t rubbish. Cork will very likely hammer Offaly out the gate. The point is not about Offaly competing seriously at senior now. The point is about Offaly’s history of success and status as a hurling county meaning they are a different animal to Laois, Westmeath and Carlow in terms of what can happen in future.

1 Like

theres a belief that, barring Offaly destroy that generation of hurlers, that’s as close as we’ll get for a decade. I’m not sure I’d subscribe to it but today was a real missed opportunity to keep our foot on their throat.

1 Like

Exactly. Offaly getting promoted is inevitable.

Missed opportunity from Laois to postpone it another year though.

1 Like

Not much in it at all, Purcell’s shot that flashed over, different game if that’s a green flag. There was another clear goal chance butchered after that as well. The two Laois midfielders were brilliant.

1 Like

In the end of the day - It’s 2 years for Willie Maher at the helm and with McDonagh being the target, it’s a failure.

They were betting favs going into it this year.

I see Sean Flynn was part of the backroom team. By all means did absolutely nothing with Ahane when he was over them. Talks the talk on Twitter and the Examiner pod but in reality is just another Twitter Coach along with your Kevs etc

1 Like

Yeah, it was a bit messy this year too. Hard to know. They shoulda won that. Is it his fault they went to sleep at the start of each half? Can he be blamed for 19 wides and experienced players taking wrong decisions repeatedly? I dunno.

Wexford next week will be interesting.

1 Like

What’s the atmosphere like sham?

Tis buzzing in the pub, fucked if I’d stay around for that

2 Likes

Nah def can’t be blamed for wides unless game plan at times is ‘shoot on sight’ which some of the shots definitely were

Funnily enough, a line I heard him say before was ‘95% of the time the team that shoots more wins’. He might be right in that but it didn’t work for Laois today

Agreed though - I’m not picking on him, I’m just noting how in reality it’s a big disappointment for Laois

1 Like