The Joe McDonagh Cup incorporating Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard and whoever else

In the end of the day - Itā€™s 2 years for Willie Maher at the helm and with McDonagh being the target, itā€™s a failure.

They were betting favs going into it this year.

I see Sean Flynn was part of the backroom team. By all means did absolutely nothing with Ahane when he was over them. Talks the talk on Twitter and the Examiner pod but in reality is just another Twitter Coach along with your Kevs etc

1 Like

Yeah, it was a bit messy this year too. Hard to know. They shoulda won that. Is it his fault they went to sleep at the start of each half? Can he be blamed for 19 wides and experienced players taking wrong decisions repeatedly? I dunno.

Wexford next week will be interesting.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the atmosphere like sham?

Tis buzzing in the pub, fucked if Iā€™d stay around for that

2 Likes

Nah def canā€™t be blamed for wides unless game plan at times is ā€˜shoot on sightā€™ which some of the shots definitely were

Funnily enough, a line I heard him say before was ā€˜95% of the time the team that shoots more winsā€™. He might be right in that but it didnā€™t work for Laois today

Agreed though - Iā€™m not picking on him, Iā€™m just noting how in reality itā€™s a big disappointment for Laois

1 Like

You know nothing about hurling. No offence like

1 Like

Anybody who knows hurling will be in agreement with me.

Itā€™s not that long since Offaly were beating Limerick out the gate on their own ground, Limerick struggling over Laois by the skin of their teeth in a qualifier, and fielding scab teams in the championship.

Heā€™s the only stats nerd Iā€™ve ever heard who talks down the importance of stats

1 Like

I rest my case

As Lionel Hutz said.

Hard to take a man serious who is trying to build a business on stats and the intricacies of hurling matches yet writes a tactical breakdown during the week referring to David Fitzgeraldā€™s importance at midfield for Clare despite not hurling there since 2018.

9 Likes

:joy: didnā€™t hear that now. Iā€™ve been fairly underwhelmed by him.

Tis like someone said to Dalo the football lads are doing loads of stats stuff. You need to get someone in, and he grabbed the first lad he found

Thatā€™s probably harsh. Itā€™s probably hard to go into the weeds with Landers yawning into the microphone

This was in an article in the Irish times this week

1 Like

I tuned into Dalyā€™s provincial finals preview which was held in cork bizarrely.

They spent the first 20 minutes talking about cork so I gave up.

Cork 99 feature in the jubilee celebration this year. So cork will have some interest in the final.

3 Likes

The first half hour. Woeful stuff.

It hit me hard because it wonā€™t be too long before I was in attendance when the jubilee won there all Irelands.

To be fair, that kid plays where he wants.

1 Like

Time flies

Indeed it does

1 Like

Iā€™d say he has spent 90% of his time the last three years and close to 20 championship matches at right half forward with the odd few minutes switched over to the other wing or full forward.

3 Likes