The Joe McDonagh Cup incorporating Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard and whoever else

Fintan O Connor was in Derek McGrath’s back room team a few years ago, Derek must have poisoned his mind

All set up for a Warwickshire Offaly Christy Ring next season.

The Joe Mc is a great comp.

1 Like

@buffegan has found his niche. That looked a cracking game. Great scores and defending too

Yeah, there’s no point going to the big games that are on TV already.

which is why it is played on saturday afternoons in vast empty grounds on a few rushed weekends in may
oh yeah remind me when the “finals” are on again, they play a “triple header” on a saturday afternoon in croke park in june that unsurprisingly is also played in an empty stadium…
its a bit like the LOI in terms of the FAI - just get it over and done with as nobody gives a shit

kerry westmeath could have been played before galway wex today- yeah ok i know all the stubborn shit about home advantage in mullingar, etc but do the gah want people to watch these games or not?
play the finals before the all ireland semis or the leinster /munster finals instead of those nonsensical minor matches…

or another idea could have been a “mouth watering” and /or “extremely attractive” double header today
westmeath - kerry before laois westmeath

2 Likes

Fully agree. These finals were originally meant to be played before All Ireland semis but the big counties wanted to see their minor teams rather than nobodies from Kildare or Carlow. The Joe MC final is played on the day of the Leinster final at the same time as everybody is watching the Munster final on telly.
The minor matches are even less interesting now that they are u17.
The weaker counties are dead right to oppose second tier football as the stronger counties will let them rot away playing in front of their families and a few diehards.

The ring and the rackard used to be played before the All Ireland semi finals but traditional counties weren’t happy because the minor games were moved. Ring , Rackard and Meaghar finals are on the 22nd June. The competitions started on the 11th May. We’d 6 games played before the middle of March which is most of our season. GAA don’t really care about the “weaker” counties

Have they changed the schedule from last year where if you won your grade you have to play “up” the following week. Kildare had to play a play-off against Antrim in Antrim and Carlow had to play Limerick the week after winning the Ring and Mcdonagh respectively.

Now that IS a slap in the face to weaker counties.

That’s ‘poor us’ stuff though from a lot of the weaker counties. They get to field their strongest teams in May and June because there is no club football and the hurling is played off fairly quickly. Draw it out until August and lads won’t even commit to the intercounty team in places like Tyrone, Roscommon or even Derry as they are concentrating on their club football championship.

1 Like
1 Like

14 man Antrim lead Offaly 2-10 to 1-11 at halftime.

Antrim 8 up with 8 mins left. Offaly staring down the barrel

73mins

Offaly 4-18 -
Antrim 3-23

That’s full time

By god

RIP

Antrim never feared Offaly

2 Likes

how does relegation work? if Kerry lose to Laois, wd an Offaly win over Kerry save Offaly? both wd finish on 2 pts

Head to head i believe.

1 Like

Brilliant game of very decent quality football between Lancashire and Kilkenny this afternoon. As enjoyable a game as I’ve seen in years. Kk shaded in by iirc 3-14 to 0-21.
Great players on both teams, good fair ref. Full blooded encounter.
I’d have paid good money to watch it cc @Bandage

2 Likes

Thought Offaly would get a bounce with Joachim Kelly in place and didn’t expect Antrim to win. Ciaran Clarke very good in 1st and James McNaughton impressive when he came on. Beat Westmeath next Saturday should be enjoyed to get Antrim to final.

1 Like