The Kafkaesque Trial of Judge Brett Kavanaugh - labane hot on the trail

if only Feinstein hadn’t been playing politics then the feds could’ve investigated, but the way she played her hand made it look like she was trying to stop the appointment until after the midterms in the hope of a more D house

1 Like

Again, irrelevant.

The only thing that matters is whether the allegations are credible and they are.

There’s only one reason to not investigate all three claims and that is to railroad through the nomination as quickly as possible. One can only do that by disregarding the allegations and that is what the Republicans have done.

They already performed backgound checks and they’ve all come up clean.

1 Like

They haven’t performed background checks since the allegations came to light.

The normal process is that the checks are re-opened if new allegations come to light.

Were you suggesting that all FBI background checks on nominees be abolished?

that’s your opinion. sure ford comes across as a compelling witness but id expect nothing less from a psychology professor. she falls down badly on corroboration, evidence, timing and selection of person to make allegation to.

that’s not to say kavanaugh is a good person for SCOTUS either.

Any allegation from anyone? What if some sad middle aged cunt living with his parents alleges big Kav touched his penis after a load of beers at a college party in Dublin 20 years ago?

You’ve already let slip via your ham fisted responses to my earlier question that you believe that Blasey Ford’s allegations are credible, so it’s also your opinion.

no I sai9d that i believe blasey ford believes that kavanaugh assaulted her and in that regard she is credible which is something entirely different.

Three women have come forward and identified themselves. Blasey Ford has provided sworn testimony under oath and Julie Swetnick has provided a sworn affidavit.

If their claims are not true an FBI background check should have little problem ascertaining such.

There is no reason not to have these background checks in all three instances.

The only reason not have them is to effect a cover up.

Are you proposing all FBI background checks on nominees be abolished?

Do you believe FBI background checks can miss things?

This is another attempt to say something while not saying it.

In any event, you still agree that she is credible - thus there should be an FBI background check.

Swetnik not credible.
No
Yes, but these claims are spurious on the face of the evidence heard at this hearing except for #ibelieveher

An FBI background check should be the only arbiter of whether Swetnick is credible or not.

If Kavanaugh has nothing to hide, he should have no problem with the FBI investigating the allegations. FBI background checks of such specific allegations tend to only take a few days anyway.

Senator Durbin nailed him beautifully on the point last night.

Kavanaugh and the Republicans are doing a fantastic job of making him look guilty as hell.

To the very best of my knowledge I can say I’ve never even met your wife.

1 Like

What difference does it make if he is confirmed or not. Surely the democrats can still get the FBI to investigate and get to the truth of the matter. If the FBI find the accusations are credible theres no way he would not have to resign. If they find he has no charges to answer no harm no foul.

If the Democrats were genuinely just interested in truth and justice they could come out and say that they wont block his nomination if the FBI find theres no case to answer. The Republicans are obviously not going to postpone the nomination as if they lose the Senate they may not get another chance to get a nomination through. They are crazy but not that crazy. I dont have much sympathy for Kavanaugh and the republicans as they are reaping what they sowed after blocking Obama from nominating. its fascinating to watch from afar all the same.

You’re one of very few men who can claim that.

American politics are truly in the gutter.

It makes all the difference. Once he is confirmed there is no realistic prospect of impeaching him because it would take two-thirds of the senate which will never happen.

What difference does it make to the Republicans is what I want to know. They have until Christmas to get somebody nominated and that’s plenty of time with the senate in their favour until then, at least, and likely afterwards too given the election map.

The notion that Kavanaugh is facing these allegations because of political partisanship is tosh. Blasey Ford came forward anonymously before he had even been nominated. Given the behaviour of the Republicans and Kavanaugh himself, one can come to no other conclusion than that there is a serious case to answer and a serious cover up in progress.

Gorsuch faced no such allegations because he was squeaky clean. There are loads of other nominees who are too.

As it is, they are actually destroying the credibility of the Supreme Court.

Good to have @Watch_The_Break back. Where have you been mate? Campaigning for transgender muslim rights in Asia Minor? Feminist workshops in Alabama? Equal pay protests in the Philippines? Spill the beans!

2 Likes

Just leaving this here. I hope @Tim_Riggins won’t object to my characterisation that there are millions of Republicans and Trumpists out there who don’t care about sexual assault.

He certainly shouldn’t, because it’s demonstrably true.

There are 32 million registered Republicans in the US as of June 2018. Do the maths, or "the math, as United Statesians like to erroneously say, for what 54% of that is.

Blasey Ford has said herself she only came forward because Kavanuagh was about to be appointed to the supreme court. She approached a democrat with the allegation not law enforcement. There still hasnt been any complaint made to law enforcement. You’re very naive if you think politics hasnt played a part in all this.

2 Likes