The Killing of Jean McConville - Justified or Not?

Following on from the discussion on the Ireland 1912-23 thread.

Poll attached

Give us some FACTS

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/former-ira-chief-claimed-gerry-adams-ordered-jean-mcconville-killing-28526315.html[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=14px] [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=14px]Just last month, Mr Adams denied being aware of the plan to kill Mrs McConville but Hughes claimed he was deeply involved.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=14px]He said his unit found an army transmitter in Mrs McConville’s flat in Divis and that she was shot for going to the assistance of an injured soldier.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=14px]“She was an informer; she had a transmitter in her house,” Hughes said in an interview quoted in the Sunday Times yesterday.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=14px][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=14px]Funny how the southern media take some of what Hughes said - ie that Gerry Adams ordered the killing of Jean McConville, at face value, and constantly use it against Adams, and yet conveniently forget that Hughes also said McConville was an informer and had a transmitter in her house. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=14px]I don’t doubt that Adams probably ordered her killing, by the way. But that’s war, and no different to the killing of that woman in Cork mentioned on the Ireland 1912-23 thread.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote=“Sidney, post: 752330, member: 183”][FONT=Trebuchet MS]http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/former-ira-chief-claimed-gerry-adams-ordered-jean-mcconville-killing-28526315.html[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Funny how the southern media take some of what Hughes said - ie that Gerry Adams ordered the killing of Jean McConville, at face value, and constantly use it against Adams, and yet conveniently forget that Hughes also said McConville was an informer and had a transmitter in her house. [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]I don’t doubt that Adams probably ordered her killing, by the way. But that’s war, and no different to the killing of that woman in Cork mentioned on the Ireland 1912-23 thread.[/FONT][/quote]

:rolleyes:

Jean McConville incident happened post 1969. That means it was terrorism. If it had happened a few years earlier it would have been valiant and heroic.

Jean McConville incident happened post 1969. That means it was terrorism. If it had happened a few years earlier it would have been valiant and heroic.[/quote]

like the killing of your man Macabe in Adare is what you are saying to be precise

Jean McConville incident happened post 1969. That means it was terrorism. If it had happened a few years earlier it would have been valiant and heroic.[/quote]
In the words of Ray Burke, a line in the sand was drawn. That means Michael McDowell can still safely call Michael Collins the greatest Irish person of all-time and not look like a pathetic hypocrite.

Because we don’t have any colour film of what happened 90-100 years ago, it was a different time. A glorious, misty eyed, romantic time.

Nothing the IRA did after independence for ourselves can be justified-we had our fun, those nordie cunts should’ve just taken their medicine lying down.

The facts as I understand it were that the Brits selected McConville as a possible informer as she was struggling badly for money at the time having 10 children and no husband and gave her a radio. The Ra got word of it and warned her to stop otherwise she would be shot. Apparently the only reason she got away with that was that she had the 10 kids. She continued at it, wasn’t very good at hiding it and the Ra got wind of it again. This time she was executed.

That version comes from Ed Maloney’s Secret History of the IRA. Now I would consider myself a pacifist and would not believe in the killing of anyone but I can see that at the height of the war in the early 70s that such action would be taken.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 752346, member: 24”]The facts as I understand it were that the Brits selected McConville as a possible informer as she was struggling badly for money at the time having 10 children and no husband and gave her a radio. The Ra got word of it and warned her to stop otherwise she would be shot. Apparently the only reason she got away with that was that she had the 10 kids. She continued at it, wasn’t very good at hiding it and the Ra got wind of it again. This time she was executed.

That version comes from Ed Maloney’s Secret History of the IRA. Now I would consider myself a pacifist and would not believe in the killing of anyone but I can see that at the height of the war in the early 70s that such action would be taken.[/quote]

Why didn’t they just break her radio?

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 752346, member: 24”]The facts as I understand it were that the Brits selected McConville as a possible informer as she was struggling badly for money at the time having 10 children and no husband and gave her a radio. The Ra got word of it and warned her to stop otherwise she would be shot. Apparently the only reason she got away with that was that she had the 10 kids. She continued at it, wasn’t very good at hiding it and the Ra got wind of it again. This time she was executed.

That version comes from Ed Maloney’s Secret History of the IRA. Now I would consider myself a pacifist and would not believe in the killing of anyone but I can see that at the height of the war in the early 70s that such action would be taken.[/quote]

A book which has been widely used as an authoritative source by southern media in its attempt to vilify Sinn Fein. So why is that information conveniently brushed aside?

why is moloney running scared of the voices from the grqave coming out?

agree with KC here
i very much doubt a single mother looking after 10 kids had time to infiltrate the upper echelons of the Ra , unless adams or macguinness was riding her and were talking too much, therefore this killing is disgusting and completely unjustified.

Re: yer man MacCabe in Adare, i agree with Runt, Nessan Quinlivan had no choice and did what most on here would have done if in the situation

[quote=“mickee321, post: 752630, member: 367”]agree with KC here
i very much doubt a single mother looking after 10 kids had time to infiltrate the upper echelons of the Ra , unless adams or macguinness was riding her and were talking too much, therefore this killing is disgusting and completely unjustified.

Re: yer man MacCabe in Adare, i agree with Runt, Nessan Quinlivan had no choice and did what most on here would have done if in the situation[/quote]

Can you flesh that last bit out there, Mick?

[quote=“mickee321, post: 752630, member: 367”]agree with KC here

Re: yer man MacCabe in Adare, i agree with Runt, Nessan Quinlivan had no choice and did what most on here would have done if in the situation[/quote]

She was living in Divis, reporting on local RA activities, not infiltrating the upper echelons.

what?

If she was a tout it was justified. If she wasn’t it was reprehensible.

Exactly.

What the fuck had Nessan Quinlivan got to do with Adare?

what local activities was she reporting on, you claimed above you had somevknowledge on them ? If you mean the local pick up area for where they were distributing the cigarettes of recently smuggled petrol, that’s what they relied on to make a living. It’s not as if these kunts were actively laying their lives down for Ireland right? Your not stupidly naive enough to suggest that surely are you?

he was the IRA commander for that crew