The Kyle wrecks your head thread

Big breaking news i hereā€¦.

Iā€™d agree.

Winning with the club is far more special than anything I witnessed the County winning tbh.
Different magic

Iā€™d still rank the children arriving as far more special but each to their own.

Hear here

In my lifetime Armagh 2002 is the All-Ireland at any level club or county that was most special and the most viscerally felt for the winning place.

We move :dancer:

Whatā€™s the news on Kyle?

I think to a certain extent youā€™re underestimating the importance of sport in peoples lives. Yes in the greater scheme of things itā€™s way down the pecking order but in a funny kind of way thats what makes it so important. For example as a teenager probably like most young men , I did not get on with my father yet the one thing that kept that kept that connection no matter how strained it ever got was sport or more to the point hurling. As I matured and carved out my own little niche for myself that bond got stronger and stronger. So much so that we are now inseparable. The point being that yes Joe Player would have given anything to overcome his difficulties but at the same time sport was the common bond that could keep that connection and give him that feeling of "normality " (if thatā€™s the right term) even if it was just for a couple of hours hanging around here every night or hoing to a game on Sunday. In some ways the saying ā€œits not just a matter of life and death. Its way more important than thatā€ is very true.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s a very serious response

My point is that if youā€™re in your death bed and the greatest joy and disappointment that youā€™ve achieved has been delivered to you by a group of random men who happen to have been born in the same county as you then youā€™ve lived a strange life.

I love sports, I love following Cork,

1 Like

Half brother

2 Likes

There are people from all walks of life in this world. Some are born fortunate, some are not. Some carve out their own fortune. Sometimes depending on ones circumstances the achievements of others whoā€™s only connection is that they represent the same county /country/parish can be all they have to cling on to. That doesnā€™t make it strange though. It might make it unfortunate but not strange

2 Likes

Sport is important, but much like a dog, it should always know itā€™s place

1 Like

When sport, the Gaa especially splits families over disputes i really do despair.

1 Like

I always said prior to Limericks success in 2018 that Iā€™d die happy to see Limerick win one All Ireland. What has transpired since has been off the charts. Unbelievably so.

Your post above suggests that is something to be sneered at, is it?

I think thats a horrible, cuntish opinion. Not everyone may be as lucky as your good self.

2 Likes

2013 after the Munster Final was an unbelievable night in the city.

4 Likes

The semi-final prior to that in 2013 was class too after bating a fancied Tipp outfit. Been a long time since weā€™d got over the line in the Munster championship.

Richie McCarthy was immense the same day. Bubbles made his debut for Tipp off the bench got 1-3 from play. I think everyone went home slightly sunburnt. Roasting hot day.

1 Like

Iā€™ll have to repeat myself, sorry.
I have no issue with people enjoying top level sports and talking great joy from it, and the flip side of the great disappointments.
If it means more to somebody than family then I guess I feel some pity.

My initial post was a response to somebody who said that the Limerick hurling team brought them the greatest joys and disappointment of their lives.
Iā€™m have enough going on to know that real life hits you a lot harder on a weekly basis than watching your team lose, itā€™s just a form of entertainment

Iā€™m not belittling your post re your father etc, itā€™s a very common bonding practice, winning or losing doesnā€™t matter though

1 Like

Weā€™re discussing an amateur sport here.

1 Like

You were sneering away there looking for a reaction tracksuit.

Sure if we were all married to the best looking woman in Limerick - none of us would give a fuck about sport would we.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never seen this reaction outside the Coombe

18 Likes

Depends on the age profile of said person as well. I just wouldnā€™t knock a person for their priorities. Weā€™re not all that lucky and if something like sport makes up for that , so be it.