The Lazy Laz and Uncle Esteban 5k challenge

Ok lads.

Brilliant reaction to our opening virtual run. Over the last couple of days, I’ve been thinking what we do next. Initially, it was going to be just something for the August bank holiday weekend, but after seeing more races pulled, I said let’s drag this out for the summer.

All of these events are open to any member that wants to do them. You don’t have to do them all. In time, I’ll set up separate threads for each if it doesn’t clog up the board too much.

1. The Flat Out Five: 5km run first weekend July (3rd-5th). See how low you can go. Times to be submitted via PM. Results out Monday 6th July. No donations or entry fee.

2. The 10/10/21.1 Challenge: the main event. August bank holiday weekend and following same template as the event we’ve just done.

Three distances this time: 10km/10 miles/21.1km(half marathon)
Those who did 5km encouraged to move up to any distance they want. 10km should be moving up to at least 10 miles.

We can discuss the charity side later (or below) if we want to do this. Times etc. uploaded as you complete the course.

1. How High Can You Go? The Vertical Challenge: most ran very flat routes for the 5/10km. The most niche event. This one is going to be about how much elevation gain you can get, and is inspired by vertical km races (a race where you’ve to get 1000m elevation). I don’t expect anyone to gain that much but there’ll be a minimum entry (200-250m I reckon). Still working on this but it’s my way of encouraging people to run/power hike through forests, fields, hills and mountains.

Provisional date: weekend of August 16th, the all Ireland hurling weekend. TFK is a hurling forum.

1. Flat Out Five Part Deux: 4-6 September. Have you got fitter? Put it to the test. Winner is runner with greatest % increase in their 5k time from July, not necessarily the fastest

Four is a lot of events and there might be some tweaks, but that’s my ideas for it. Willing to take on board suggestions and will edit this post accordingly

6 Likes

Perhaps for the next charity donation, perhaps we could spare a few 50p for rocko to put in the meter seeing as without this place the charities mightn’t be getting these funds?

Also the percentage change should be for both flat out fives

2 Likes

I better edit that - that’s what I meant

I agree with that too

Good idea - TFK takes .50c for every 5 euro donated. or easier to say 10% of each donation …

Would this be the metres elevation for the whole run? Or just the highest summit? Like, could you run up a massive hill, then down and then back up again? Or a route with plenty of undulating hills that will all add to the total?

Good idea anyway

Correct :+1:

I toyed with the summit idea for this mornings run but went for a flat route instead. Plenty of hill close by, shouldn’t be a problem. cc @Thomas_Brady

1 Like

I’d like to donate to Cambodia.
I have a sister with downs syndrome, and dsi is a worthy cause, but mo Dhia, the poor Cambodians have had such an awful recent history your heart would bleed.
I think @RaymondCrotty said it’s about 3 k for a teacher for a year.
I reckon we could make that. I’m happy to top up if we get close. 10% to keep the site going.
I’m in for all.
The vertical ascent one though :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:
I won’t be any quicker over 5 than I am over 10 I don’t reckon.
Injury permitting I’m going for a half marathon, as much off road as possible.

6 Likes

This is the one that’ll separate the men from the boys. Speed won’t necessarily win you this!

few gos at Clarke’s Hill and Coach hill

1 Like

I did the below as part of an adventure race the day of the election months ago. It nearly broke me. I’d cycled 30k odd and did a kayak for 500-700m or something. I had to walk a good chunk of this. Running up trails that mountain bikes would come flying down at well over 35km/h I believe.

How would you do this one? Set a distance target with a minimum height needed and then let lads at it?

1 Like

I wouldn’t be averse to the ascent per se. But I’d imagine that @TheUlteriorMotive might be slightly perturbed at some of the Dublin based posters running near to some of his kill sites.

1 Like

Lad the icey tentacles will be out for this fellas with the handbrake on all over the shop

1 Like

All will be revealed in time.

Only fooling themselves if so

I was just thinking this could suit me. I’m used to the rarefied air of the Dublin mountains.

I’ve been walking a bit during lockdown, enjoying it and was thinking of starting to do a bit of hiking actually.

1 Like

@Mac

Here are a couple of my last runs before lockdown.

The first one is a local forest to me up here, with very runnable fire roads. You wouldn’t be needing to stop at any stage or walk

200m handily enough acquired there. This would be the smallest elevation off road in Cooleys. I’d find it easier to run in a forest uphill than doing hill repeats on a road, although I suppose you could go faster on a road.

Here’s a longer one, closer to my parents house. Again, there is fire road all the way to the top, but much more elevation.

I’ve ran/walked/cursed myself going up and down Mangerton in two adventure races, and I think elevation might have been 800/900 metres.

The Run the Line run dips in under 1000 metres over 26km of the Dublin and Wicklow Mountains. It’ll be hard to make 1000 metres. I think entry point will be 200 metres for this event

You should give the trail running Ireland podcast a listen. There’s a coaching section and main interview in latest one is with Paddy O’ Leary.

2 Likes

I walked up Tara Hill last week. I must run up to record it next time