The Local and European Elections 2019 Hub

Naomi Long did the business and got elected in second place. Anderson topped poll but Dodds was elected first. Three women MEPs and a first ever seat for Alliance and I believe first time Unionism has only returned one MEP.

2 Likes

The UUP are dead.

You also have the Cuffe and Fitzgerald surpluses of 6,000 odd votes. They are less likely to favour Daly but the votes being transferred on should be the ones transferred in to them. So it’s more the Higgins and White votes which are getting further transferred. I think.

Nigel out at the next general election. Big changes ahead

What is most interesting is where the % of the old UUP is going. Previously the drift was to DUP but that’s no longer the case. UUP support has dried up considerably, TUV was down yesterday and DUP not as strong as 2014 either.

1 Like

What does this mean for Brexit and the backstop though? Surely it would be better for the pro remainers to be greater in numbers in Westminster.

They’d have to change the quota to do what Daly is asking wouldn’t they? I can understand the point but they built everything around this being a four seater and everyone knew that.

Long is an MLA and not an MP.

How long did he hold the oil shares for I wonder?

Also I wonder why Gene doesn’t like him?

Good luck to the Attorney General trying to run that line in the courts. If Daly does finish behind Andrews. she’s dead right to challenge it. This is a shambles.

1 Like

Apparently the returning officer in Cork is proposing to distribute the votes of the 6th candidate

I haven’t been following the figures on this one that closely. Is there much likelihood of that changing the order of 3, 4 & 5?

Does that not change the whole count process so far?

It certainly is a shambles but there should be consistency.

I see Fagan’s post above on the votes being counted in Cork. Is it a discretionary thing on behalf of the returning officer? In normal circumstances it doesn’t matter who goes 3 and 4 so for effeciencies sake you would not bother counting the voters. I would think that is a normal and consistent approach but then again that is likely just a convention as it is irrelevant to candidates. A candidate demanding it in normal circumstances so that they can move from 4th to 3rd place when already elected is like someone who got an A1 in the Leaving Cert still checking their paper and asking for a recheck.

For democracies sake I think if there is discretion it should be used here.

They only need to go back to count 12 and change the quota to reflect a 3 seater. It was reported months ago that both scenarios would be counted so I don’t know why they didn’t stick to that?

In the Dail John Paul Phelan said that they would distribute the votes of the last candidate eliminated when introducing the legislation but there is nothing in the Act to reflect that. So said Odhran Flynn, election expert, on Pat Kenny this morning.

On further examination it appears that section 6 of the Act provides that you wouldn’t distribute Boylan surplus, but it doesn’t appear that this section was commenced. This couldn’t be the case, surely?

Post up the legislation there and we can spend the morning deciphering it for the definitive interpretation.

I couldn’t find a commencement order in Statute Book but it’s early in the morning for me. I’ll try later when I’ve had a coffee.

3 Likes

Section 6(h) was left out of the commencement order of 22 March, which commenced most of the 2019 Act

1 Like