The Local and European Elections 2019 Hub

Finbarr Harrington is a proper Cork name.

1 Like

Be grand if it wasnt such a drain on public monies - if you want to serve the City - a small salary and expenses met should be your lot… Ideally they put a clause in that you have to have served the city a for at least 1 term as a Councillor before you can run.

They already had one

download

1 Like

Yeah it looks like it. They even took a slight (0.3%) dip up here despite winning two extra seats - the electoral areas had massive changes though so that played a huge role.

Two of those were the last elected and FG would have probably taken that seat in Cardonagh if they’d run some else for transfers.

For the Euros up here I reckon Saoirse McHugh’s transfers will elect Luke Ming now and see Maria Walsh and Carthy move away from Smith and Casey.

Fuck knows where Casey’s transfers go if he’s eliminated before Smith.

I don’t know to be honest.

Any ideas?

Looked at the front bench there and I think if they’re truly looking to move away from the past you’d be talking about Cullinane in Waterford but I could never see that happening.

There’s still too many lads with questionable histories involved.

If they don’t move soon they’re going to lose the centre left completely to The Greens and Social Democrats, it might be too late for them already. The more conservative among SF already have a potential new home in Aontú so it’s a very difficult position for anyone.

Pearse will probably get it if it comes up but he’ll have the same issues connecting with Dublin as Varadkar has relating to anyone from outside of the Dublin metropolitan area.

Cullinane seems an alright sort, definitely a better option than Pearse.

He’s married to a Kilkenny woman.

Divorced isn’t he?

howlin came up short

You’re better than that.

I can see Howling leading them in to the next election and a leadership battle straight off.

O’Riordain is absolutely mad for it.

I’m not really!

as per the leadership, if they elect amadan as leader then that will be the death knell for labour once and for all

1 Like

How did Aontu do in the local elections?

Doherty is very shouty. That was a plus when he was a new kid on the block in 2010 but not so good in 2019.

Shoutiness by definition only works if it’s used sparingly and we’ve certainly now moved into a political climate where shoutiness all the time is not going to play particularly well.

I think Lynn Boylan will do well for them at the next General Election if she runs. The sort of candidate who will appeal to a broad spectrum and comes across as calm, honest and sincere.

Yeah, he’s quite competent and intelligent but gets far too arrogant about ‘what is right’ and will make mistakes because of that.

Be hard with her husband surely running in the same constituency.

We’re moving back into a political climate where O’Riordain’s sincerity and enlightened attitude across a range of issues will play well again. Labour have a very long road back but he’s their best hope.

I expect he’ll regain a seat quite comfortably next time.

Aontu got 3 seats nationally. The same as the Healy Rae party but less than Team Lowry. Peaders time is not yet here…

They cut a huge dent in SF int he Letterkenny electoral area anyhow. Went from having two likely elected to scraping one.

sincerity?

how can you say hes sincere when he didn’t stand by his ulster rugby tweet?

hes not well got or enlightened. hes a cynical politician.

1 Like

Dublin has 11 constituencies, doesn’t it?

I’m not sure which one she’ll run in but I’d imagine she’d have a good chance in Dublin West if she ran there.

Possibly even Dublin Bay South or Dun Laoghaire - that constituency is a four seater and will likely be losing two Fine Gael TDs next time. Not traditionally strong territory for Sinn Fein for sure, but a good candidate makes a big difference.