The Local and European Elections 2019 Hub

Same over here.

They are a big fan of it in former Soviet countries. Italy is the same I think from memory.
Jobs for the boys.

I was hoping @Special_Olympiakos could have described it for us in his own words rather than you cogging it from Wikipedia

Iā€™d be interested to know if any other countries use as convoluted a system as Ireland does

I think the system is excellent in that it is extremely representative of genuine public opinion, very transparent, and interesting - democracy not only has to be done but has to be seen to be done - I think Ireland does that very well - especially when you look at the Banana Republic type system, voting methods and voting arrangements in the US

We are in a very small club.

The parties have stuffed their lists here with former and current ministers. Even a couple of former Prime Ministers. Nice handy pay out for them.

A reward for the party faithful for putting in the hard yards, an all expenses paid jaunt to Brussels for 5 years.

More than a million Euro. About 105 grand a year, 25 grand expenses. The Oirish MEPs claimed an average of 100 grand in unvouched expenses per year and a lump sum of 200 grand if you lose your seat in five years. I think they pay lower tax on the salary as well.

Nope. Wrong again. But at least you got a few paragraphs out of it. I didnā€™t mention electability because I wasnā€™t talking about general elections. Iā€™m talking about people twithin the party.

As for what Ged stands for? A livable wage for the working poor. Heā€™s all fucking over it. Google ged Nash minimum wage. Google get Nash and industrial relations.
Youā€™re a great man for the speeching and pontification but it appears actually doing stuff doesnā€™t float your boat.
Imagine all you like. I think Nash is a better person to be leader of the Labour party. And I like AodhĆ n.

Being reported that Clune has picked up 8k transfers. Ni Riada in big trouble as she has only pickef up 4k. Simon Coveney on the way to the count centre would indicate FGā€™s are confident

Iā€™ve no love for Ni Riada being honestā€¦

Kick up the hole SF needed before GEā€¦if they dont get their house in order now they could be fucked for a very long time. On local elections, I donā€™t think the redrawing of constituency in Cork helped themā€¦cut right through a lot of their core areas. Still, the top dogs better have taken the message on board.

If it was isolated to Cork you might have a point but they took a beating countrywide. It will require a more radical change at the top.

The best person to lead the lead the Labour party is the one who has the best chance of attracting support

The person who has the best chance of attracting support is somebody who will argue sincerely, forcefully and unapologetically for left-wing policies

Thatā€™s Oā€™Riordain

You now appear to think the best person to lead the Labour party is the person who is most liked within the party

With an attitude like that, donā€™t be surprised when Labour continues to flounder

Kelleherā€™s surplus of 11000 all thatā€™s left in South and only 500 between O Sullivan and Ni Riadha

As the votes to be transfered from Kellehers surplus are Byrnes votes youā€™d imagine they would slightly favour Oā€™Sullivan

Ming, Walsh and Carty elected

This is actually not necessarily the case. Random selection will apply.

1 Like

Sidney should run.

Youā€™re a weird bastard really sid. And i mean that in the nicest possible way. Iā€™m pretty sure I know what I think. And I donā€™t really need you to decipher or interpret my thoughts for me. I used to think O RiordĆ n was a shoe in. I like him. Even tipped him up here for next leader on here. Heā€™s got vision, balls and isnā€™t afraid of saying what he thinks. Buuuuuut, Iā€™ve come around to thinking Ged would be the best. Heā€™s a machine. And I like what he stands for And has done(I presume you googled it).
Your point about AodhĆ n being the best leader because he would have the best chance of attracting support is obviously interesting but I donā€™t think itā€™s neccessarily true because of (a) how many people hate him,(b) the extra scrutiny his opinions would come under as leader, and Ā© his propensity to float opinions without thinking them through.
I think the Labour party needs AoR, AK47 and many others. But Yes is who I think would be the best leader.

1 Like

I think Sullivan would have expected to be further ahead after the distribution of Byrnes surplus. Itā€™s a toss of a coin now really.

I called this 1k posts ago. Never in doubt.

2 Likes