The Negative Irish

[quote=“artfoley”]no we didn’t, if anything we talked ourselves into a “celtic tiger” i.e every cost spiralling out of control, lives mortgaged to the hilt and all about greed with nothing substantial to back it up

this recession was always gonna happen[/quote]

Of course the recession was coming, but the doom and gloom about it is just making it worse. People are afraid to do anything that might reignite the economy.

Fook the depression shovelling cunts.

[quote=“myboyblue”]Of course the recession was coming, but the doom and gloom about it is just making it worse. People are afraid to do anything that might reignite the economy.

Fook the depression shovelling cunts.[/quote]

Disappointingly simplistic from you mbb.

I wasn’t in the mood to get any way further into the mess that is this economy and the hard on many people have for talking it down.

Lifes too short.

McCarthy has a fair point but Sexton doesn’t.

In fairness to Mick, Ireland were drawing 0-0 with the hosts late on at the weekend and he sent Duffy and Egan up for a corner and tried to win it. A positive throw of the dice which ultimately wasn’t rewarded, but he should really be respected for it.

Contrast that with the cowardice of the Oirish rubby team. 7 points downs to the hosts recently, but with a chance to attack and salvage a draw, yet they settled for killing the game and ensuring they lost by no more than 7. Absolute failures and bottlers so of course that tog shitting and negativity is going to warrant comment.

5 Likes

The belwo from the McCarthy article is bizarre.

Ireland were second best for much of the game in Tbilisi and had to defend for dear life at times

It was an even game in which we lacked any real incisiveness in possession and struggled to dominate but at no point were we defending for our lives. Randolph hadn’t a save to make and aside from a few pops from distance we looked very solid defensively even when when Georgia tried to capitalise on individual errors and got into good positions. We created the best 3 or 4 chances in the game too.

Defending for our lives is how I would describe our 0-0 draw in Russia when Trap was in charge or when we beat Germany 1-0 under O’Neill.

1 Like

Minus + Minus = positive.

:rollseyes:

I agree on the incorrectness of the line from the article but we were utterly shit on Saturday and we were saved by the fact that Georgia were worse.

We were poor but we never looked like losing the game. As i said in the main thread starting Collins and Whelan really limited us and it is no surprise we created more in the last 15 minutes despite not playing well with Collins off the field than we did in the first 75 minutes. It was a poor performance in terms of when we had possession as we looked very limited but we never looked like conceding and it had 0-0 written all over it from about the 5th minute onwards, Reading that article you would swear we were cut open at will and were blessed to get a draw.

The fact that we wasted the Nations League with a dead duck management team really came home to roost on Saturday I thought in relation to the side and ability to switch personnel and change the team up.

I agree in relation to not looking like losing the game and also on Collins and Whelan.

While I take your point on Mick not having any Nations League/friendly matches to try out players, I think it was plain as day that we needed a shake up on Saturday from early on and it took a ridiculous amount of time for the changes to be made. I cannot see any reason as to why it wasn’t done other than the manager being completely blind.

Agreed, there should have been at least two changes after 60 minutes to at least try and change the flow of the game.

Very hard to see what changes can be made for Tuesday either unless you are throwing in untested lads and hoping for the best.

“…apart from that poor 60 minutes against Japan; everything else has pretty much gone to plan,” said Sexton. :grinning::grinning:

It was 0-0. Mick would have taken that before the game. He’s a bit risk averse anyway. Outside of Connolly, an untested kid, we haven’t really much else to change a game.

Is Didsy back? That’ll be a huge improvement on Collins straight away

Is Connolly good enough to make a big impact?

I was very impressed with him on Saturday. He got two shots away which showed quality in my eyes, at least a big improvement on what we have.

We need a player on the centre of the field to get on the ball. The amount of time the centre backs (Duffy is a woeful culprit) launched it forward to a non operating Collins was criminal. Also the full back and midfielders tried balls into the forwards which were 50/50 at best in terms of the forward winning them. That killed us possession wise. We need someone to get on the ball, play it simple and hold possession. Unfortunately we don’t have anyone like that except maybe Byrne but it’s a big ask for him to step up.

No, still injured won’t be available.

bollocks

The fact he brought Derrick Williams as a midfield option for the last few minutes tells you that he doesn’t think the likes of Byrne, Cullen etc are up to it yet.

Browne is capable. Cullen is capable.

Unfortunately, Mick doesn’t trust them fully.

Hendrick and Hourihane offer something tangible, in terms of set pieces and running and scoring threat for Hendrick… they offer fuck all in terms of keeping the ball.

Whelan out and Browne in is the only realistic change in midfield… Browne is a very good player and way more mobile