The north/really good looking fellas

Here’s something that many on here will understand but you won’t and never will.

Ecstasis

If there is

to have been one

moment, it could be this:

body sprung from turf, suspended,

ash-stick hoisted, level and at bay,

arm aloft to pluck a rough-seamed purse

of rag and yarn and glory from the sky;

that instant, all elements of body

and mind outstrained to reach for

the impossible, when, into my

hand like a bird

it came.

John Fitzgerald

3 Likes

Good read here
http://www.thepensivequill.com/2019/04/lyra-mckee-right-killed-by-wrong.html?m=1

2 Likes

That is a good read. What do you make of it? It’s a gradual grey slide from legitimate cause to wanton violence by and large.

Indeed. And yet. Back in '69 what else to do? Allow armed unionism in the shape of the RUC, B Specials and their friends in the loyalist gangs to beat, burn and butcher us into submission? But once the genie was out of the bottle it was too late.

3 Likes

The writer was close to the victim - and probably to a lot of victims over the years so there’s lots of emotion in there - which is perfectly acceptable…

He’s on point regards regards people dressing up and calling themselves republicans now. We’ve been there, saw that and 99% of us have moved on never to go back. They have no place in society.

Re-writing history is slightly different tho - The Provos did a lot of wrongs - but they were caught up in a tripartite conflict that also involved the British state and loyalists - which bent any kind of logic all out of sorts. The real truth of the troubles is British collusion and ridiculous repressive coercion against catholics as the catalyst of a lot of what happened ---- the narrative from the press and Irish/British governments is - The IRA … of course you can see why to a degree - they have to cover up a lot of what really went on as it leads to these modern loon balls that we are trying to get away from… but yet, this piece again looks to lay the blame solely at the feet of historical republicanism when it’s much, much wider than that.

Violence flourishes where governance is corrupt … it’s easy point at republicans (in the wider sense ) much harder to say that ‘normal’ society have played their part here also.

The sad truth is that nationalists in many ways are still second class citizens in N.I … they can now get jobs, houses, education … But when other parts of UK can get a language act but they cant because Unionists veto it … When their Irishness is not being recognized in face of recent Brexit crisis… then they are still very much the second people in N.I.

Now that opens a separate discussion about SF going to Westminster to fight for these things - I personally dont think Irish people should stand in WM … the fact that nationalists in N.I completely abandoned the party that does in favour of SF tells you that they dont either … but I digress …

It’s clear from my answer that the north remains a very complex issue … but we are all agreed the day of the bomb and bullet is long gone… the cretins still carrying on like that may tap into older traditions but they no longer have the support of the public , where older traditions might have … and that’s the bottom line.

10 Likes

That’s an excellent post
:clap:
It articulates perfectly what I thought of the article.

There a lot of lads of a certain vintage realizing that a lot of their years were spent carrying out pointless violence when it could have been much, much more… they dont want another generation to fall into this trap.

1 Like

I’d add that I have been truly shocked by the level of British govt/army collusion in the terrorism of the North. Im not sure why. I just expected Western democratic governments, by and large, to roughly do a reasonably fair job for the population, whilst lining their pockets. The involvement in terrorism murder violence and torture has genuinely shocked me.

1 Like

I hope you are correct in that.

I’d say we dont know the half of it Flatty … While we were ‘soft’ on the Ra down here, I also wonder how soft we were towards the British state.

There’d be a war if half of the stuff the British state really did came out in open.

It’s fucking staggering what has come out already.

Slightly an aside, but I’ve always thought that Bobby sands was the most warm, genuine and innately talented man, and he could have been such a force for good had circumstances treated him better. He was such a loss. Such a loss.

5 Likes

It is … and as much as I like to think i’m balanced and all in favour of peace … I get quite angry when I hear it, and revert to age old hatred and even sectarianism… and i’m down south, miles from the north — so you can imagine how both sides of the community feel up there when something happens / is revealed.

How do you brush off centuries worth of distrust and conflict?

We all need to covert to Buddhism

2 Likes

Buddhism is no different really. Lots of Buddhist countries like Cambodia have harrowing violent histories.

Few thoughts as to what would be nice to see happening in medium term:

• Restoration of assembly. Not to have a functioning assembly for this long is a disgrace. Not to have one when Brexit is happening is even worse. Irish Government need to ramp up their efforts on this and shift focus from Brexit to assembly. Next election in UK likely to happen soonish and this will provide opportunity post election to exert greater pressure. DUP will not be in such a powerful position for much longer.
  • When assembly is restored look at what can be done to avoid entrenching sectarian divisions within Stormont. The very way Stormont is setup it seeks to categorise according to community identity as opposed to social/economic thinking. That was necessary at time of GFA but model needs to be looked at.
  • Incentivize integrated schooling for all primary school children in north. When children from two communities go to different schools from age of 4 all this does cement intransigence from an early age and an ‘othering’ of children from different communities.
  • Irish Government to address systemic issues that entrench southern partitionism. There is often the sense of people from the south having a hierarchy of Irishness according to where one is born on the island. That is contrary to GFA. Ensure there is far greater representation in Dail and Seanad from both communities in Northern Ireland. Irishness should be far broader than merely representing those born in the Irish state imo.
11 Likes

Correct - pushed into the whole quagmire,genie well and truly vanished

I’ve always thought that even though I’d send my kids to integrated schooling down south I would want then going to a Catholic school up north, despite me not really being a Catholic, because I’d want them being taught that they’re Irish and nothing else and I wouldn’t want the British government getting near them, whispering in their ear or teaching them history or saying “Londonderry” or whatever. What do you make if that, am I a cunt?

1 Like

I think it would be for the greater good tbh. Ours went to Catholic, then we took them out for a variety of reasons.
The local Bishop has now waded in saying that kids can only get confirmed if they do a three year course complete with card stamping. I’m not a huge fan of organised religion in any case so we’ve opted out, but it effectively means that my lass as it stands will never be able to get wed in a Catholic church, which I find oddly upsetting.

1 Like

Didn’t know you couldn’t get married if you’re not confirmed, you’d think it will cost the a lot of baptisms down the line, but I guess it makes sense. If you’re not confirmed you’re still a child.

I’m sure they’d waive that requirement for a man of your influence.

Sounds odd that. You go to p school until 6th class, when you’re 12 you’re confirmed. Now you have to a 3 year additional course??? Seems a bit unfair on the youngsters that.

1 Like