The north/really good looking fellas

Not being funny, but I’d imagine it would be hard to persuade a unionist to take up any kind of representative seat in the Dail or oireachtas?

Yet you’ve lads here who demand that SF take seats in Westminster …

Back to our old ways … We’ll meet at Tara.

2 Likes

The notion of what we think as Irish institutions would probably have to change.

More ‘Ireland’s Call’ type initiatives.

1 Like

That’d be my point. They would just point at sinn fein. Surely there would have to be movement from them?

We will have to rip the whole lot up and start anew … The difference currently is that Britain is clearly a different country… Unionists in a democratically created UI would be entering parliament in their own country.

Unionists have taken their seats in the Oireachtas for decades.

That is the least of the worries of a United Ireland.

1 Like

I was referring to suggestions of unionist representation in the Dail as a move towards a united Ireland. The trouble is that the unionists, by definition, don’t see Ireland as their country in any straightforward way, any more than sinn fein see Westminster as anything to do with them.

You’re thinking of Loyalists ---- there are many, many pragmatic ‘unionists’ just are there are nationalists… The DUP and Sinn Fein have become the de-facto parties of both communities but they dont necessarily hold the hearts and minds of many of their voters. Just as there are many nationalists happy to stay under the union as it benefits them financially, there are an equal amount from the other side who would jump ship if Brexit turns out to be a disaster … we only get the extreme voice of both on media etc.

But there would be a lot of hard questions to resolve alright.

Interestingly enough, Linda Irvine leads a group of Loyalists who learn/speak Irish - they recognize it is their language but their identity remains British … I think a cultural battle would have to be won before a political one would and the DUP know this and that’s why they block anything that might advance Irishness in NI.

2 Likes

I don’t think there is any strategic vision behind it other than appealing to flegers. The Irish Language Act was actually more tough for them to hold steadfast on than Brexit (another lunatic policy for a Unionist). They thought with that one that they could get some free money, wave their flags get invited to the ERG Christmas Parties in a carefree atmosphere of the U.K. voting to stay in the EU.

The best thing for the Union is for the North’s economy to take off and to appease nationalism. They do this through harmonization and conciliation, that was Peter Robinson’s policy. Same corporation tax rate as Ireland and to make some steps to make Northern Ireland inclusive of nationalist demands.

It always seems to be hardliners that seize control.

You’re talking about a situation where if the majority of NI wanted a united Ireland we should stop it for the sake of appeasing a minority who refuse to accept the majority will. You’re talking about lying down to fascism.

Surely the DUP would oppose any harmonisation with the Republic? They’ll demand the same rates as the mainland.

The north’s economy taking off under Brexit was funny also Tim.

It’s Flegs btw Tim.

I suppose it depends on the definition of a United Ireland. The traditional view of the 6 counties coming in under the umbrella of the existing 26 as is just won’t work in my view. This island has been through enough conflict so if a United Ireland was to occur it has to be as peaceful of a transition as possible.

I know you’re in Australia Fisty but do keep up, this is years old ffs.

This is one of the points about Unionist opposition to the Backstop arrangements that is funniest, alongside their various social “opt outs” from mainland U.K.

What are you on about on Brexit and the economy btw?

I simply said the best way from the Unionist perspective to entrench the Constitutional position is a positive economy. It is very rare that people will want to vote themselves poorer- Brexit is an aberration in that respect.

The health service is going to be a huge sticking point. I don’t need to tell anyone how shambolic our service is, they have the NHS.

Tim, where are you getting the possibility of a positive economy for NI with Brexit about to happen? More than anywhere, even the Republic, NI will be the most severely damaged by it. You seem to think it’s an incidental thing of little consequence and the future is bright.

I just replied saying what I thought was best for maintaining the Union.

Not sure what is so difficult about that.

Where and when have I said that Brexit is incidental?

What you think is best for maintaining the union is dar removed from the reality if what’s about to happen to it.
We should be looking for ways to break ut Tim, not fix it.

Okay you seem to be on the grog.

I was responding to Chocco’s opinion on what is driving the DUP’s opposition to a language act.

Only at kincora ,that’s where they embraced- fucking deviants

1 Like