The north/really good looking fellas

It took Brexit for the brits, Europe and the Irish Government (if they didn’t know already) understand what it was like for SF to try deal with these morons since the GFA. They’ll get no credit though…

1 Like

A Border Poll and UI is coming.

Europe will fund it. Leo didn’t get all Republican and brave, sticking it to the DUP/loyalists without them giving him the nod.

Fair play to Boris, he wouldn’t put up with their bullshit…you can imagine him in a meeting with telling them to fuck off back to Ireland.

5 Likes

I’m sure he has been in the faces you want to punch thread or whatever it’s called plenty of times, and it is just fortunate that he is named Kneel.

In fairness to him he has twisted the knife in the UK on Brexit at every opportunity over the last couple of years and has been an articulate representative in international media at times when it was important to make Ireland’s case.

However a proposal to rejoin the Commonwealth ultimately makes him irredeemable.

4 Likes

It wasn’t hard to twist the knife. He only articulated what right thinking members of society were saying, Christ he could have been a spokesperson for the Ulster Farming Association.

The difference was, kneel is a prod, a rugby supporter and a west brit. It didn’t give the media much room to shout him down or shut him up like what Claire Byrne did to Joe Brolly or what they, the rest of the media and every other politicians do to SF spokespeople every time they’re asked to go on a radio or tv programme.

1 Like

Might have said it on this thread, but the Brian Hanley book on southern attitudes to troubles and the north is a good read to see why many would be shouting SF down in the media.
There seemed to be widespread support all over Ireland after Bloody Sunday, then for whatever reasons attitudes changed as the troubles got worse and we were fed a message of “those nordys are nothing but trouble, we don’t want them down here”. Whereas you would have thought the support down south should have increased, not necessarily for the IRA, but for the Brits to fuck off out of it.

1 Like

Because the Free Staters are generally subservient to whatever FFG tell them to do. That generation returned them again, again and again to government.

1 Like

While it was before my time, I can see the steady flow of propaganda would have seeped into how my grandparents and folks would have spoken about “that northern crowd”…

Fianna Fáil set out their stall when they expelled the Republicans from their party in the 70s.

1 Like

Mad times

1 Like

He’d be a natural in dail eireann in a few years.

1 Like

Looks like the Tories have briefed English press that in the Queen’s speech next week there’ll be announcement of steps to prevent further Troubles prosecutions. Story is that it applies to all! So in effect an amnesty. There is talk of some sort of “truth recovery” process for victims.

I’d guess the only people this will really satisfy will be security force personnel.

It’s a disgrace.

How many soldiers have served a sentence over The Troubles?

4 Likes

Very very few. The fingers of one hand would be sufficient to count them. Not only that, but the length of time served was minimal. There was certainly one case the details I forget but the Brit served a sentence (maybe 18 months) went back to his unit and received all his back pay.

1 Like

Lee Clegg?

@Mac was a big supporter of Lee Clegg

2 Likes

Think you could be right there.

Was he initially released but then cleared later?

1 Like

Only four soldiers were convicted of murder while on duty in Northern Ireland. All were released after serving two or three years of life sentences and allowed to rejoin the Army.

This is the state that Free Staters abandoned their countrymen to 100 years ago.

3 Likes

The Stickies took over RTÉ, Conor Cruise O’Brien became minister with responsibility for RTÉ and enacted s31 of the Broadcasting Act and the Dublin Monaghan bombs terrorized the population. All in the space of 2 years.

3 Likes