The north/really good looking fellas

There were hundreds and thousands of provos in the free state thanks for correcting me, some serious provos in limerick robbing banks and horses, go way you clown

Your not sure about a lot of things I’d say

Is Maths an issue too? Thousands shep, just thousands

Keep reading

History an issue too it seems, seeing as the Free State ceased to be in 1949.

Morto for you Shep

You’re

Your grammar is poor too, mate. Maybe finish Primary Ed before engaging further.

Believe it or not, being sure of something doesn’t mean you’re right.

Is that the best you can come up with? Honestly

I always see reference to the ‘stickys’ and rte. Can you flesh it out a bit fagan? Are they the part of the IRA left after the provos left? What had they got to do with RTE?

stickies

Here you go Arthur this is a summary from Wikipedia

Harris was for a time a central figure in shaping the current affairs output of Raidió Teilifís Éireann (RTÉ).[16] He pushed the organisation towards a perspective heavily critical of Sinn Féin and the Provisional IRA. It was stated in the November 1997 issue of Magill magazine that he set up an RTÉ branch of the Workers’ Party called the "Ned Stapleton Cumann ", which gave the party considerable influence in RTÉ. Michael O’Leary, then leader of the Labour Party, commented that RTÉ current affairs coverage was “Stickie orientated”, a reference to the Official IRA, from which the Provisional IRA had split in the 1970s. Those who supported Harris within RTÉ became known as “the brood of Harris”.[17] The tensions within the organisation, between journalists such as Mary McAleese and Alex White on one side and the Workers’ Party members on the other, led to major disagreements at the station and to criticism of what was perceived as its anti-republican political agenda. Harris recruited Charlie Bird(then a member of Official Sinn Féin) and Marian Finucane to RTÉ in the 1970s.[18]

2 Likes

Wasn’t Joe Duffy a stickie too?

I’m still digesting that Charlie Bird was once anything to do with SF!

Never knew McAleese had RTÉ background- explains an awful lot of things. Her soft armchair treatment and the bombers famous time-bomb article that time.

2 Likes

McAleese was a reporter/presenter on Today Tonight (the forerunner of Prime Time) in the early eighties.

1 Like

I remember the program well. Brian Farrell. Just don’t remember her. A bit like our current commissioner once having her ear to the ground won’t be known by current generation id say

1 Like

She was a reporter rather than a presenter. She was forced out because the stickies that she was sympathetic to northern nationalists.

The leader of the UUP has resigned. He hadn’t made much of an impression to be fair. I don’t think I’d heard of him before today.

1 Like

He was a poor leader. Not very articulate. Had a car crash of an interview a couple of weeks back about the protocol if I remember.

1 Like

Free transfer back for Arlene?

Funnily enough I was just trying to think what it was about. I could only remember how extraordinary bad it was

1 Like

I was surprised when he became leader. Doug Beattie stepped aside I think but Beattie is a much more assured speaker. Is there anybody other than Beattie they could give it to now? And does he want it?

1 Like

The UUP are a busted flush.

2 Likes