The Official 2011 Club Championship Thread

eh?

Oops, 2-12 to 17 points…

Goal from a penalty in the last minute of normal time won it for CIT. Very soft penalty as well. NUIG probably the better team overall but goals made the difference.

Throw up the teams there, Will…

Address me by my proper title and I will you little bollocks.

Apologies…

Please post up the teams there, Mr Self…

FFS.

again apologies…i just hope that some day when you make a typo or a mistake on this forum people are more understanding, bandage…

NUIG

Tuohy;
D.Nash, P.Kelly, S.McCormack;
P.Gordon, P.Nihill, S.Hennessy;
J.Cooney, D.O’Donovan;
B.Daly, R.Shanahan, JP.O’Connell;
G.Kelly, J.Conlon, C.Morey.

CIT

T.Quaid;
J.O’Callaghan, E.Dillon, J.Herlihy;
S.McDonald, R.Cashman, C.Leahy;
S.White, L.McLoughlin;
P.O’Connor, C.Casey, M.Bowles;
T.Murphy, M.O’Sullivan, R.Clifford.

How did the Clare contingent hurl?

Puke, you’ll need to quickly learn the importance of self review now you’ve entered the working ranks. That goes for all work related reports and emails and any posts made here during working hours. Check everything before putting it into the public domain.

Yes sir…

Pat O’Connor opened the scoring with a peach of a point from midfield after 5 seconds. CIT in general were well on top for the first five minutes but then his marker Hennessy and Conlon started to take charge of the game for NUIG. Hennessy hit a heap of ball in a 10 or 15 minute spell then, most of it at Conlon who won four scored frees and scored one himself. O’Connor wasn’t really exerting much pressure on Hennessy when he was on the ball, and an awful lot of ball was hit down Hennessy’s throat in that period by the CIT backs for no apparent reason. O’Connor still ended up with two points from play and won two scored frees in the first half which wasn’t bad going.

Morey was on the frees and he did well on them. Didn’t really get on the ball an awful lot apart from that though. Shanahan put him through for a goal just before half-time as well and he pulled on the handpass first time instead of catching. Connected well but drove it wide. Had he caught is it’s hard to imagine he would have missed it as he was totally in the clear. DOD got through a fair bit of work at midfield but his distribution was still a bit patchy. Flattenened a CIT player with a great shoulder and forced a free which Morey scored to put them ahead with a few minutes left. Conlon scored a beauty then after that and they looked to have it won.

After that the penalty was given against Kelly I think but I’m not certain. He was fairly solid at full-back without having a whole lot to do. Dealt comfortably enough with most of what came his way. Apart from that Nash was his usual tidy self but his man got the first goal which was crucial in keeping CIT in the game. Nihill was solid without doing anything too spectacular. Tuohy was ok, question marks over how well he did for the first goal but it was out across him and took a strange bounce so I wouldn’t be too harsh on him. Shanahan got a nice point and worked hard.

CIT were at their best carrying the ball through midfield but the first 5 minutes aside, NUIG dominated the physical exchanges and the big half-back line of Gordon, Nihill, and Hennessy stopped most of what came their way, so they weren’t really creating any platform for scores. They were only a point down at half-time though and the goal just after kept them in the game. NUIG were on top but they didn’t shake them off until right at the end with the free from Morey and the point from Conlon. The penalty looked a bit ridiculous but maybe others saw more in it. The CIT forward looked to back into the Galway back and fall over and the ref gave it. Tony Murphy the free-taker absolutely rifled the penalty home then and they managed to hang on. NUIG up against it big time now to retain the title.

UL-UCC teams from yesterday:

University of Limerick – T Lowry; M Malone, M Walsh, S Hickey; A Hogan, B Bugler, K Joyce; P Cronin, J Gallagher; M Boran, B Beckett, D Burke; K Morris, P Kelly, M Heffernan. Subs: P Murphy for M Boran (40), A Quinn for M Heffernan (50), P Stapleton for M Malone (52), T O’Brien for J Gallagher (56).

UCC – D McCarthy; C O’Sullivan, P O’Loughlin, M Cahill; J Nagle, K Moran, W Egan; D Kearney, P Mahony; S Bourke, K Keehan, D Brosnan; D Honan, J Cassin, G Mulcahy. Subs: P Haughney for G Mulcahy, L O’Farrell for K Keehan, S Harnedy for D Kearney.

Is that Boran fella for UL your man from Castlecomer?

Getting this thread back on topic, what nightclubs would ye say the fitzgibbon boys would be wearing their tracksuit tops and drinking jaegerbombers after their matches this week?

Thats him,hes a fine hurler on his day,a light fella but he can look after himself,had an absolute stormer in the 2010 Kilkenny Senior semi final scoring 1-05 from play when Comer were beaten by just a point,he was one of the outstanding forwards on view over the two games that day converting almost every single possession he got into a score.

Which os the Cork players stood out WTB? What did you think of McDonald at half-back?

Yeah he was pretty good. Was on top of his man throughout and made a couple of forays forward in the first half. McLoughlin at midfield was decent as well although the NUIG midfield probably edged that sector overall. Is Eoin Dillon a Cork panelist? He struggled big time with Conlon in the first-half and for a ten or fifteen minute spell Conlon must have won 6 or 7 balls in a row off him. CIT are a slick enough outfit though. They couldn’t match Galway physically yesterday but they were efficient enough to keep themselves in the game.

Yeah he is on the panel, played in the league final last year at full-back, don’t really rate him very highly. TBH I wouldn’t highly rate a lot of those Cork lads, other then McDonald and to a lesser extent Cashman and O’Sullivan.

Turenne do you know how the football challenge match between Cork and Laois went today? I believe it was played in Mallow. Thanking you in advance.