The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

[quote=“tazdedub, post: 810462, member: 312”]Caoimhaoin, what top teams have any of the provincial winners played ? The only counties going into the quarter finals that can claim they have played top teams or maybe a better phrase would be tough games are Monaghan, Donegal and Tyrone. Dublin have played one of the so called top teams in Kildare. Ok Kildare were shit but they were still classed as a top team and do play in Division 1. Mayo came out of Connaught and we all know that that province is shite. Kerry came out of Munster and lets face it outside of Cork and Kerry, Munster is shit. Leinster is just marginally better than Munster and Dublin got in a tough game against Meath, who as we seen in the last round of the qualifiers are a coming side.

Yes we do have problems at 3 and 6 and some would say that we have only one midfielder as well. Is there any team out there that don’t have problem positions?

As for the inexperienced players, yes we have a fair of them but I think we have the best mix of inexperience with experience. Don’t forget we have Cluxton, Brennan, MacAuley, Flynn, Cullen, Brogan, McMannaman to name but a few of the experienced players in the Dublin panel.

As for the manager being in his first year, yes as a manager but he has been around the Dublin set up for years both as a player, selector and under age manager and you can bet behind the scenes he will have even more experienced people that he can call on for advice.

This weekend will be a big test of Dublin’s credentials for winning the All Ireland.[/quote]

So you just wasted that amount of time posting that when “ya Kev I agree” would have sufficed.

I viewed first year manager to be a manager in charge of a team for the first year. I trust Sidney was doing likewise.

Read my original post.

I mentioned the word knock-out. As in, as you say, nobody has. I’m not really saying anyone is any better than Dublin, just they are truly untested. I went in to point out I expect to see them in the Final.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 810486, member: 273”]Read my original post.

I mentioned the word knock-out. As in, as you say, nobody has. I’m not really saying anyone is any better than Dublin, just they are truly untested. I went in to point out I expect to see them in the Final.[/quote]

According to Taz, Tyrone have fulfilled this requirement then by seeing off Kildare ( :smiley: ) and should be favourites for the All Ireland

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 810480, member: 273”]Justin McCarthy had been a manger at IC previously, as had the Canon. John I Mahoney was with Mayo. Clifford lost All Ireland’s before winning.

Jesus Sid you have lost it.[/quote]

That doesn’t explain why you stated that that Fr. Michael O’Brien and Ger Loughnane, both of whom won All-Irelands in their first year in charge of any senior inter-county team, had not done so. You also didn’t seem to be aware that Mickey Harte and Jack O’Connor did likewise.

Well I wasn’t. Why would I mention it otherwise, it’s a comment in relation to experience. Any experience at that level would make my point mute, why else would I say it. I have mentioned same in relation to Gavin a few times. It is a step up in coaching. 21’s is so much easier. In fact I would say managing a top senior club is better prep than 21’s, although with 21’s you would get to know players well.

You trust correctly.

God knows, you did get quite a few of them wrong after all. All I did was clarify.

It was obvious Caoimhaoin was speaking about managers in their first year of IC management.

Very hard to call em this weekend.

Cork v Dublin

If Dubs are as good as we think and if Conor Counihan is as bad as we think then Dublin should win that, as things stand Cork just aren’t gettin the best oout of what they have.

Monaghan v Tyrone

Tyrone being made favourites by people coz of their name as much as anything. If Monaghan come with same ferocity and close Cavanagh the fuck down then yeah they’ll do it.

Kerry v Cavan

If Kerry keep Mackey out of the game they’ll win actually they’ll win anyway!

Mayo v Donegal

Seriously had to call. How good are Mayo? Who the fuck knows?! Donegal have a few boys back (Lacey, McHugh), but I never tought they were two in a row good… Mayo maybe then. Yeah fuck it Mayo it is

Are you writing Tyrone off? I know I’m not and much as I would like to see the cunts knocked out, I would not be one bit surprised to see them in the Final in September.

I think winning your province is a disadvantage, I would much prefer to have seen Dublin come through the qualifiers were you can get tougher matches. As for Kildare, weren’t they considered a top side prior to the start of the championship and weren’t they suppose to give Dublin and tough game because it was 2 division 1 teams playing each other. It is not Dublin’s fault they were shite.

Where did I write them off mate?

One thing Dublin have to address from the last two matches is their slow starts - they conceded 1-2 and 0-2 at the start of the matches against Kildare and Meath.

I got one wrong. Michael o Brien Sid is also wrongs about. I just questioned the others. He’s already rowed back on a couple I questioned. I was certainly unsure about Loughnane and when Harte moved thru.

That would suit Cork

I’m not wrong on Michael O’Brien and I haven’t rowed back on anything. He was joint manager in 1984 when Cork won the All-Ireland. That was his first year as a senior inter-county manager.

When you say “first year manager”, it’s generally assumed that you’re talking about somebody who’s in their first year in charge of a certain team, ie John O’Mahony with Galway in '98. If you meant “first year manager” to mean their first year in charge of any senior inter-county team, clarify it beforehand, not afterwards.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 810517, member: 183”]I’m not wrong on Michael O’Brien and I haven’t rowed back on anything. He was joint manager in 1984 when Cork won the All-Ireland. That was his first year as a senior inter-county manager.

When you say “first year manager”, it’s generally assumed that you’re talking about somebody who’s in their first year in charge of a certain team, ie John O’Mahony with Galway in '98. If you meant “first year manager” to mean their first year in charge of any senior inter-county team, clarify it beforehand, not afterwards.[/quote]

Fuck off you idiot. It was in reference to having experience. If they managed somewhere else first then they have experience.

You know well what I was talking about.

Moron.

Sid, I also think the weather is going to play a big part in the match on Saturday. I think the heavier the pitch is the more it will suit Cork as it will slow Dublin down. I am hoping for nice dry weather between now and saturday evening to help with Dublin’s pacey attack.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 810520, member: 273”]Fuck off you idiot. It was in reference to having experience. If they managed somewhere else first then they have experience.

You know well what I was talking about.

Moron.[/quote]

Classic Kev :smiley:

Indeed, mate. Cork have traditionally always been at their best over the years in wet conditions, it’s a great leveller.