The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 812379, member: 273”]This is shameful.

McGuinness should step down.[/quote]

I presume this was a spur of the moment post and you don’t actually believe the second sentence of this caoimhaoin?

My issues with Tyrone

• systematic fouling. Happy to take the yellow cards to stop momentum building.

• Their general demeanour. Time wasting, not retreating for frees, feigning injury, exaggerating injury, verbals on and off the ball, looking to intimidate refs and officials etc.

• Conor Gormley. See above.

• Mickey Harte. Had huge sympathy for the man when he suffered such a tragic loss with his daughter. Horrendous thing to go through. However in recent times he is constantly sticking his nose into everything - the Brian Carthy affair, the abortion debate (ffs), his feud with RTE etc. Well able to act the man of God when it suits, well able to be contrary when it suits too. Ultimately he is responsible for the Tyrone team and the repeated cynical tactics and actions of any team are a reflection of their manager.

Obvious I know. It was posted in response to someone who said that based on the weekends action, Dublin were well ahead of the pack.

So basically you think Mayo are possibly third or maybe fourth strongest of the teams that are left and that they have no chance of beating either Dublin or Kerry.

[quote=“dodgy-keeper, post: 812484, member: 1552”]My issues with Tyrone

• systematic fouling. Happy to take the yellow cards to stop momentum building.

[/quote]
Have you ever been involved with an Adult team, playing or management?

To make things simple for you…going on what i viewed this weekend…i think Dublin are the best team of the 4 left…okay? :rolleyes:

What has that got to do with anything? Does it make a difference if the answer is yes or no?

Deliberately fouling lads and making no attempt to play the ball is what is killing gaelic football and Tyrone are the worst exponents of it. Every team does it to some extent they have taken it on to a different level. Look back at the last 15 minutes last night. The worst thing is that they have some great players like Cavanagh and O’Neill but they have gone down this road of cynicism.

You chose to ignore my other points raised…

Dublin are “well ahead” of the rest is what you originally said, and again, based on what I viewed this weekend, I can’t see how one would reach that conclusion.

Interesting all the comments on here and sniping and counter sniping. It’s not surprising Donegal are being grouped in with “those negative Northern teams” from their chosen style of play. People are fed up with it. Four Ulster teams went in to the quarter finals this weekend and all four were the lowest scoring* of the eight (*Tyrone scoring 0-14 same as Cork). They all set up to win by defending first. The two worst games by far were the all Ulster 1/4 Final and Cavan v Kerry, with Kerry playing a game similar to those being castigated on here, with 14 men in their own half on many an occasion.

I think most on here would agree that for Football’s sake a Mayo/Dublin final is a must.

[quote=“dodgy-keeper, post: 812489, member: 1552”]What has that got to do with anything? Does it make a difference if the answer is yes or no?

Deliberately fouling lads and making no attempt to play the ball is what is killing gaelic football and Tyrone are the worst exponents of it. Every team does it to some extent they have taken it on to a different level. Look back at the last 15 minutes last night. The worst thing is that they have some great players like Cavanagh and O’Neill but they have gone down this road of cynicism.

You chose to ignore my other points raised…[/quote]
I respect your opinion DK, i do. But i can’t agree that any system a team uses which results in winning games is wrong or lessens a teams rating. Winning is number 1 in all sports regardless of the viewing pleasure it produces.

If Limerick played like Tyrone & won an All Ireland would you question their methods? That is my point.

[quote=“Mac, post: 812222, member: 109”]This is Mayos time.

Fuck Jim McGuinness.[/quote]

Yeah caoimhaoin, I do know fuck all about football you utter blind dipshit

[quote=“carryharry, post: 812493, member: 1517”]I respect your opinion DK, i do. But i can’t agree that any system a team uses which results in winning games is wrong or lessens a teams rating. Winning is number 1 in all sports regardless of the viewing pleasure it produces.

If Limerick played like Tyrone & won an All Ireland would you question their methods? That is my point.[/quote]

Of course not. Winning is the be all and end all at inter-county level ultimately. McGuiness and Harte will be heroes forever more after what they have overseen and won. Teams that win generally don’t give a shit about how it is achieved.

However watching as a neutral I find Tyrone - and a few other gaelic football teams - very hard to watch and stomach. This weekend alone Dublin, Cork and Mayo went out to attack and play good football. They didn’t need to resort to what Tyrone and Cavanagh did last night.

Tyrone won, they won’t care what I, Brolly or Pope Francis think about them. It’s just watching as a neutral their antics, and it’s not the first time they’ve exhibited them, go against the spirit of the game. Everyone wants to win but if every county aped their tactics the sport would die away as people would stop following the matches.

[quote=“dodgy-keeper, post: 812500, member: 1552”]Of course not. Winning is the be all and end all at inter-county level ultimately. McGuiness and Harte will be heroes forever more after what they have overseen and won. Teams that win generally don’t give a shit about how it is achieved.

However watching as a neutral I find Tyrone - and a few other gaelic football teams - very hard to watch and stomach. This weekend alone Dublin, Cork and Mayo went out to attack and play good football. They didn’t need to resort to what Tyrone and Cavanagh did last night.

Tyrone won, they won’t care what I, Brolly or Pope Francis think about them. It’s just watching as a neutral their antics, and it’s not the first time they’ve exhibited them, go against the spirit of the game. Everyone wants to win but if every county aped their tactics the sport would die away as people would stop following the matches.[/quote]

For Christ sake, any player from Dublin, Cork or Kerry would have taken the Monaghan player down in that position, even in a junior b match you’d do it.

But dodgy-keeper, Tyrone are not blessed with natural free scoring forwards like Dublin,Kerry or Mayo right now. What they do have in abundance is team spirit, work rate & a mental cuteness that for all their flaws should be respected imo.

The media & Brolly make waves taking cheap shots at them without recognizing what they are achieving with that group of players.

[quote=“carryharry, post: 812504, member: 1517”]But dodgy-keeper, Tyrone are not blessed with natural free scoring forwards like Dublin,Kerry or Mayo right now. What they do have in abundance is team spirit, work rate & a mental cuteness that for all their flaws should be respected imo.

The media & Brolly make waves taking cheap shots at them without recognizing what they are achieving with that group of players.[/quote]

We’ll agree to disagree Harry. :wink:

Not on here you won’t. Fire an insult at him.

Backtrack alert! :smiley:

Still can’t believe Mayo could start resting players after 43 or 44 minutes against Donegal. What a display from them. Very annoying supporters though.

Donal Vaughan was outstanding as well today. Donegal have looked a poor side compared to the 2011/2012 version who were relentless in their running and workrate. Disappointing to see all trhe negativity towards Donegal and Jim McGuinness on here, I would have a lot of time for both and their achievements last year were outstanding but they are not the same side without the likes of Lacey and McHugh at full power.

Just in relation to Tyrones cynicism…these type of tactics have long been in the game. I watched the 95 final between Dublin and Tyrone the other night and Dublins display, especially when reduced to 14 men, was perhaps even more cynical than the present day Tyrone team… absolute filth.

Having said that, it was horrible to watch back then and it’s still horrible to watch now. Also, Tyrone tend to engage in them from the first minute of the game whereas in the past teams would usually only resort to them in the final few minutes when trying to defend a lead.