The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

[quote=“dodgy-keeper, post: 812500, member: 1552”]Of course not. Winning is the be all and end all at inter-county level ultimately. McGuiness and Harte will be heroes forever more after what they have overseen and won. Teams that win generally don’t give a shit about how it is achieved.

However watching as a neutral I find Tyrone - and a few other gaelic football teams - very hard to watch and stomach. This weekend alone Dublin, Cork and Mayo went out to attack and play good football. They didn’t need to resort to what Tyrone and Cavanagh did last night.

Tyrone won, they won’t care what I, Brolly or Pope Francis think about them. It’s just watching as a neutral their antics, and it’s not the first time they’ve exhibited them, go against the spirit of the game. Everyone wants to win but if every county aped their tactics the sport would die away as people would stop following the matches.[/quote]
I have always found Donegal and Tyrone excellent to watch as opposed to cork who have been atrocious to watch for years.

I’m with Bandage on Donegal. Most hard won all Ireland in years and they were excellent and deserving champions beating the lions share of the best teams in the country last year.

Its 1936 all over again. Fatherland ruling the roost in Europe and it’ll be a Limerick and Mayo All Ireland double.

Glas, did you find Donegal enjoyable to watch against the Dubs two years ago?

Tyrone in the last 15 minutes last night?

Indeed. He won an All Ireland within two years of taking over after a meek qualifier defeat to Armagh the previous year. In the first year he wanted to instill a winning habit into them, no matter what cost. The next step was, armed with this confidence, to play a more expansive game. His template was similar to Mancini at City. Ensure that they reached the Champions League first of all, and then the following year push on.

The fact that McGuinness did it with only two top class players (Lacey and Murphy) is all the more impressive. I don’t recall any of their matches last year being overly negative.

As for this whole thing over Tyrone’s cynical fouling, I ask someone to look at Dublin Tyrone in 1995 when Tyrone were attacking for the equaliser in the last minute. Dublin were dragging them to the ground. It’s not something new, Tyrone aren’t the only team that are doing it, Brolly is talking through his hole if you ask me.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 812517, member: 24”]Indeed. He won an All Ireland within two years of taking over after a meek qualifier defeat to Armagh the previous year. In the first year he wanted to instill a winning habit into them, no matter what cost. The next step was, armed with this confidence, to play a more expansive game. His template was similar to Mancini at City. Ensure that they reached the Champions League first of all, and then the following year push on.

The fact that McGuinness did it with only two top class players (Lacey and Murphy) is all the more impressive. I don’t recall any of their matches last year being overly negative.

As for this whole thing over Tyrone’s cynical fouling, I ask someone to look at Dublin Tyrone in 1995 when Tyrone were attacking for the equaliser in the last minute. Dublin were dragging them to the ground. It’s not something new, Tyrone aren’t the only team that are doing it, Brolly is talking through his hole if you ask me.[/quote]

Name me a highly successful team in any sport that didn’t have a bit of cynicism about them? Pretty much every winning side has a cynical streak about them and an ability to play the referee/rules to their advantage

:clap:

I think this black card thing that Brolly is calling ‘urgent’ is a load of shite if you ask me. A player put off after doing feck all.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 804764, member: 183”][SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]All-Stars as of 21/7/13:[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]1. Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]2. Colin Walshe (Monaghan)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]3. Neil McGee (Donegal)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]5. James McCarthy (Dublin)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]6. Dessie Mone (Monaghan) [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]7. Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]8. Aiden O’Shea (Mayo)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]9. Michael Darragh McAuley (Dublin)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]10. Cian Mackey (Cavan)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]11. Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]12. Graham Reilly (Meath)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]13. Paul Mannion (Dublin)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]14. Socks Dunne (Cavan)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]15. Conor McManus (Monaghan)[/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

All-Stars as of 4/8/13
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]3. Conor Clarke (Tyrone)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]6. Donal Vaughan (Mayo)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]12. Paul Flynn (Dublin)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Segoe UI]15. Conor McManus (Monaghan)[/FONT]

No Sean Cavanagh Sidney? o_O

[quote=“dodgy-keeper, post: 812516, member: 1552”]Glas, did you find Donegal enjoyable to watch against the Dubs two years ago?

Tyrone in the last 15 minutes last night?[/quote]
No but the uproar and comments from the rte panel against them were disgraceful, and they played fantastic football last year. Tyrone have been an excellent team for many years. Cork have been brutal to watch for years. Didn’t see the end of the Tyrone game, was at a club match.

Why in God’s name are people still going on about the Donegal Dublin match?

Donegal have shown their worth by winning the All Ireland last year beating Tyrone, Kerry, Cork and Mayo.

Glaring mistake there.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 812524, member: 24”]Why in God’s name are people still going on about the Donegal Dublin match?

Donegal have shown their worth by winning the All Ireland last year beating Tyrone, Kerry, Cork and Mayo.[/quote]

Because some people are idiots and it is easier for them to hold a grudge and now turnaround and say they were vindicated rather than admit they were wrong

TFK AFC were 2 goals up on September 1st, 2009, in the final game of the season and we only required a point to win the league. Yet I drove a kick-out deliberately over a fence to waste time late on. It’s because I’m a winner, pal.

Winning:clap:

Indeed I did make a glaring mistake with my midfield selection. That was when I incorrectly spelt Aidan O’Shea’s christian name “Aiden”.

This is bigger than Thatcher dying, mate.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 812521, member: 183”]All-Stars as of 4/8/13
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]3. Conor Clarke (Tyrone)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]6. Donal Vaughan (Mayo)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px][FONT=Segoe UI]12. Paul Flynn (Dublin)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Segoe UI]15. Conor McManus (Monaghan)[/FONT][/quote]
Cillian O Connor?

While I agree with your previous point about Donegal and Tyrone, apart from the Mancini comparison, the fact there is historical precedent for fouling doesn’t make it acceptable for the game.

There’s too much confusion between defensive tactics and the constant fouling. Donegal were superb at the first element in the last couple of years and I think criticism of their style of play is over the top and ignores the innovation and commitment they brought.

But wrestling guys to the ground isn’t good for the sport. It makes for a poor spectacle and violates a fundamental rule of sport, that breaking the rules shouldn’t ordinarily and repeatedly produce an advantage. So it has to be changed and the black card seems like a reasonable step. But it will do nothing to stop fouls late on in a game, usually the low point, and it places more reliance on referees which is a worry considering the strange decisions you see every game and the increasing diving by attackers.