The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

[quote=“Rocko, post: 812534, member: 1”]While I agree with your previous point about Donegal and Tyrone, apart from the Mancini comparison, the fact there is historical precedent for fouling doesn’t make it acceptable for the game.

There’s too much confusion between defensive tactics and the constant fouling. Donegal were superb at the first element in the last couple of years and I think criticism of their style of play is over the top and ignores the innovation and commitment they brought.

But wrestling guys to the ground isn’t good for the sport. It makes for a poor spectacle and violates a fundamental rule of sport, that breaking the rules shouldn’t ordinarily and repeatedly produce an advantage. So it has to be changed and the black card seems like a reasonable step. But it will do nothing to stop fouls late on in a game, usually the low point, and it places more reliance on referees which is a worry considering the strange decisions you see every game and the increasing diving by attackers.[/quote]
Blah blah blah, its not up to teams to set examples when it comes to fouling & making sure games are good spectacles.

Its up to the GAA as an organization to change the rules to address these issues.

[quote=“carryharry, post: 812536, member: 1517”]Blah blah blah, its not up to teams to set examples when it comes to fouling & making sure games are good spectacles.

Its up to the GAA as an organization to change the rules to address these issues.[/quote]

It’s up to the GAA to change the rules but that doesn’t mean that cynical, sneaky, hateful shit shouldn’t called out for what it is - cynical, sneaky, hateful shit which brings the teams and players who engage in it and the managers who stand over it into disrepute.

A red card for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity would solve a lot of problems in this area.

Dublin’s All Ireland in 1995 is tainted then.

Bullshit.

The basis of the “black card” is that a cynical cunt that commits a cynical/professional foul is ordered off, to be replaced by a substitute.

Keep up FFS. Nothing short of a fatality on-field is deemed worthy of a free where you’re from of course. Cunt…:pint:

[quote=“Boxtyeater, post: 812546, member: 246”]The basis of the “black card” is that a cynical cunt that commits a cynical/professional foul is ordered off, to be replaced by a substitute.

Keep up FFS. Nothing short of a fatality on-field is deemed worthy of a free where you’re from of course. Cunt…:pint:[/quote]
:eek:

It is up to the GAA to change the rules for the betterment of he game.

In 1982 Austria & Germany played an awful drawn match in the WC to ensure both teams qualified from their group. FIFA changed the rules so this farce didn’t happen again and years later outlawed the biggest time wasting tool in football, the back pass.

The GAA are responsible for their product and they have to make the changes and employ referees that will deal with the issues.

Shit?!?! Have I just held up FIFA as a beacon in stewardship of their game?

Can’t believe Mark McHugh made that mistake for the second goal.

[quote=“Scrunchie, post: 812550, member: 1408”]It is up to the GAA to change the rules for the betterment of he game.

In 1982 Austria & Germany played an awful drawn match in the WC to ensure both teams qualified from their group. FIFA changed the rules so this farce didn’t happen again and years later outlawed the biggest time wasting tool in football, the back pass.

The GAA are responsible for their product and they have to make the changes and employ referees that will deal with the issues.

Shit?!?! Have I just held up FIFA as a beacon in stewardship of their game?[/quote]

Rule changes in any sport will generally be reactive.

If a rule is being abused by certain teams, and if teams who don’t abuse the rule are suffering because of that, and if the rule change will make the game more attractive, then the rule should be changed. I hope the black card is a success. It would have removed Cavanagh from the game yesterday. He deserved to be.

[quote=“Scrunchie, post: 812550, member: 1408”]It is up to the GAA to change the rules for the betterment of he game.

Shit?!?! Have I just held up FIFA as a beacon in stewardship of their game?[/quote]

What is it with you and Austria?

Look it.

This seems to be the new phrase for managers to use. Horan is always saying it. Fitzmaurice and Counihan less frequently.

And I haven’t even told you about the twins and the sauna yet!

Much of the problem with Cavanagh’s tackle was because it was just outside the penalty area. If it had been inside, a penalty given and a goal scored, you wouldn’t have heard as much about it, as a punishment would have been seen to have been done.

But the punishment for the tackle was effectively almost nothing. It’s the clearest example of the weakness of that rule yet.

And Kerry’s in 2000.

I didn’t notice Socks Dunne being raging when substituted when I was at the match today. But I’ve seen it on the highlights and he was dead right to be seething. They got fuck all ball into him but he did well any time he got on it.

Mayo better go on and finish the job now

They won’t.

Was in Croker and man that second (third really i guess if you include the minors) game is still milling around me brain. Stunning, stunning stuff. Aidan O’Shea is Jacko incarnate (his rents are from Kerry, are they related to Jacko?).

Was a bit like a car crash really in that there was no point in watching in a sense after a while, but you couldn’t take your eyes off it. Presumably I wasn’t the only one who was happy to see McGuiness and Gallagher get a comeuppance?