The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 812653, member: 273”]Well it was spur of the moment, but still based on a collection of thoughts I had about his role recently.

For All Ireland champions that was dreadful. Did he over train them ( which it seems like), did he play injured players etc. he made an absolute clown of himself last week as did his co-manager and was shown to be a hypocrite.

But on top of that for himself, where is he going to bring them? Donegal don’t produce regular influxes of underage stars so replenishing the team would be very difficult. Some of the key players are pushing on (McFadden, Kavanagh, McGee). That kind of size, craft and experience takes years to develop, especially in counties with low numbers. Not to mention his Celtic job which has to be affected both ways. They are also playing division 2 next year, another disadvantage. I just wonder where they can go from that hammering.

Cork and Dublin have taken hammerings and come back and won the All-Ireland but they were always a team building. This is different.

Of course 12 months ago before he got involved with Celtic I doubt you’d have passed any comment.[/quote]

Donegal were only the width of a crossbar away from beating an excellent Dub team in AI u21 final not that long ago. Very interested to see if they will come back hungry next year

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 812689, member: 273”]It’s all very relevant and he should not continue for a number of reasons. The young players are good but wouldn’t have done it without the older lads. Murphy for instance has shown poor leadership this year compared to last.

It’s 3 years Rocko, his plan was for 5 anyway I think. But you’ll often find with limited resources in amateur sport these days 3-4 years is the max anyone can get out of a team.

I doubt he’ll leave, he’ll want to re-address yesterday. But I can’t see him bringing them back any better. I was someone who thought he would be successful (even if they didn’t win All Ireland) this year, but he completely misjudged the year and went too hard too early. But bigger than that I think he must have lost some of the dressing room, well him and Gallagher combined. Their carry on was beyond stupid and Horan was literally laughing at them, all if the GAA world is. I think they have undermined themselves.

It’s the coaches job to motivate an to build hunger. It’s a big part of it. He said they were going to evolve. They haven’t. This year would be a pretty big failure when you add relegation.[/quote]

Even though I think he’s a cunt McGuinness has earned the right to decide when he walks away. When a county like Donegal wins the All-Ireland the celebrations last long into the new year. It was inevitable that Donegal would take a fall this year.

If Mayo win the All-Ireland this year you’d likely see something similar happening to them next year, maybe not by 16 points, but there’s no way they’d retain the All-Ireland and probably not even Connacht.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 812735, member: 183”]Even though I think he’s a cunt McGuinness has earned the right to decide when he walks away. When a county like Donegal wins the All-Ireland the celebrations last long into the new year. It was inevitable that Donegal would take a fall this year.

If Mayo win the All-Ireland this year you’d likely see something similar happening to them next year, maybe not by 16 points, but there’s no way they’d retain the All-Ireland and probably not even Connacht.[/quote]leitrim will win Connacht next year beating Galway Sligo and mayo in the final in castlebar

Ah man. We’re in no position to be making jokes like that.

I enjoyed that too. Its not like he made a mistake because he kept saying condone

Mayo beat the All Ireland Champions by a record amount, and you two boys claim the highlight is a simple fucker who cant speak properly?

Did I say it was my highlight? I said I enjoyed it you simpleton.

:rolleyes: Gombeen.

GAA man in verbal faux pas shocker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2nsywx9Jtw

All stars as of now. Based on 6 backs/6 forwards, not specific positions.

Goalie & Backs

Cluxton - barely, but his point scoring is immense
Wiley - superb all thro for Monaghan I felt, even if it’s debatable if he’s really playing at full back.
Cafferky - Can’t believ anyone would let this fella out, probably best full back in the game
Dessie moane - unbelievable high level consistency.
Keith Higgins - named elsewhere, but like Moane, unbelievable consistency
McCaffery - Nothing needs to be said, a wonderful player, and seems like a nice chap too.
Colm Boyle - a attack creation/overlap machine.

Midfield
Cavanagh & Aidan O Se - Ridiculous performances from both. Amazing MDM can’t make this. Very good year for power midfielders. Johnny Buckly is flying, Hughes had a few stormer a, Puerce O Neill had a high level, Cian O Sullivan really stepped it up Saturday. But those 2 stand out by a mile.

Forwards

Alan Dillion
Cillian O Connor
Ciaran Killkenny
Alan Freeman
Conor McManus
Mannion

Not much you can say, there are at least another 4 people could argue quite strongly for, but those guys are very consistent when on field.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 812958, member: 273”]All stars as of now. Based on 6 backs/6 forwards, not specific positions.

Goalie & Backs

Wiley - superb all thro for Monaghan I felt, even if it’s debatable if he’s really playing at full back.
Cafferky - Can’t believ anyone would let this fella out, probably best full back in the game
McCaffery - Nothing needs to be said, a wonderful player, and seems like a nice chap too.

Midfield
Cavanagh & Aidan O Se - Ridiculous performances from both. Amazing MDM can’t make this. Very good year for power midfielders. Johnny Buckly is flying, Hughes had a few stormer a, Puerce O Neill had a high level, Cian O Sullivan really stepped it up Saturday. But those 2 stand out by a mile.

Forwards

Alan Dillion
Cillian O Connor
Ciaran Killkenny
Alan Freeman
Ciaran McManus
Mannion

Not much you can say, there are at least another 4 people could argue quite strongly for, but those guys are very consistent when on field.[/quote]

:rolleyes:

No Gormley, Clarke or Donnelly?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 812689, member: 273”]It’s all very relevant and he should not continue for a number of reasons. The young players are good but wouldn’t have done it without the older lads. Murphy for instance has shown poor leadership this year compared to last.

It’s 3 years Rocko, his plan was for 5 anyway I think. But you’ll often find with limited resources in amateur sport these days 3-4 years is the max anyone can get out of a team.

I doubt he’ll leave, he’ll want to re-address yesterday. But I can’t see him bringing them back any better. I was someone who thought he would be successful (even if they didn’t win All Ireland) this year, but he completely misjudged the year and went too hard too early. But bigger than that I think he must have lost some of the dressing room, well him and Gallagher combined. Their carry on was beyond stupid and Horan was literally laughing at them, all if the GAA world is. I think they have undermined themselves.

It’s the coaches job to motivate an to build hunger. It’s a big part of it. He said they were going to evolve. They haven’t. This year would be a pretty big failure when you add relegation.[/quote]

Michael Murphy is still only 23. McFadden has been around a while but he has been decent this year. Lacey was a loss alright.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 812958, member: 273”]All stars as of now. Based on 6 backs/6 forwards, not specific positions.

Goalie & Backs

Midfield

Forwards

Alan Dillion
Cillian O Connor
Ciaran Killkenny
Alan Freeman
Ciaran McManus
Mannion

Not much you can say, there are at least another 4 people could argue quite strongly for, but those guys are very consistent when on field.[/quote]

Not to get into a huge debate, but Higgins has been “picked” corner back all year, depsite starting wing forward Sunday, can we win an All Star at wing back or where would he in fact be nominated? Similarly Mone has been playing on the half back line, McCaffrey has been playing wing back yet you have him at centre back, Cillian O Connor has played about 80 mins of Championship football, and both at corner forward as well as the league where he was corner forward.

Finally, Ciaran McManus retired years ago and not sure he’s done enough with Tubber to earn this selection.

In regards to the brolly/cavanagh/cynicism row I haven’t seen anyone here point out that bans for accumulating yellow cards or even a ban for getting sent off on two yellows would also help to eradicate this type of fouling. It must be one of the reasons it doesn’t occur in soccer anyway.
On the other hand brolly is wrong when he says gaa is the only sport tactical fouling takes place. Basketball and rugby are two i can think of anyway.

[quote=“gola, post: 812986, member: 244”]In regards to the brolly/cavanagh/cynicism row I haven’t seen anyone here point out that bans for accumulating yellow cards or even a ban for getting sent off on two yellows would also help to eradicate this type of fouling. It must be one of the reasons it doesn’t occur in soccer anyway.
On the other hand brolly is wrong when he says gaa is the only sport tactical fouling takes place. Basketball and rugby are two i can think of anyway.[/quote]

How is it even a debate? I would be livid if a team mate (or player on a team I supported) didn’t pull the man down in that scenario. It’s a basic thing you are told all the way up along. Concede the foul to stop a goal chance.

Accumulated yellows would be a decent idea I think, but I suppose with the difference in the way various county championships are run then it may not really have the same effect across the board.

[quote=“gola, post: 812986, member: 244”]In regards to the brolly/cavanagh/cynicism row I haven’t seen anyone here point out that bans for accumulating yellow cards or even a ban for getting sent off on two yellows would also help to eradicate this type of fouling. It must be one of the reasons it doesn’t occur in soccer anyway.
On the other hand brolly is wrong when he says gaa is the only sport tactical fouling takes place. Basketball and rugby are two i can think of anyway.[/quote]
Yeah there are sports where tactical fouling does take place, but few where it repeatedly earns the fouler an advantage, even when spotted and adjudicated correctly.

It’s very prevalent in Rugby where lads go deliberately offside, collapse mauls etc. and happily take the punishment as its not enough of a penalty. But thats not a sport so it doesn’t affect your point.

The black card, where you can replace the offender, wouldn’t be as severe a penalty to those teams with strong panels such as Dublin, but would be crippling to the weaker ones.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 812980, member: 180”]Not to get into a huge debate, but Higgins has been “picked” corner back all year, depsite starting wing forward Sunday, can we win an All Star at wing back or where would he in fact be nominated? Similarly Mone has been playing on the half back line, McCaffrey has been playing wing back yet you have him at centre back, Cillian O Connor has played about 80 mins of Championship football, and both at corner forward as well as the league where he was corner forward.

Finally, Ciaran McManus retired years ago and not sure he’s done enough with Tubber to earn this selection.[/quote]

Touché.

But my selection, as I mention at the start, is 6 backs/6 forwards, positions irrelevant.

What is all the fucking fuss with Clarke? I really think he’s way way over rated on viewings so far. A good player no doubt, but an All-Star? At least 10-12 backs ahead if him.

As for Gormley, ya deserves consideration, but he’s a cunt of a player and I don’t like him so I didn’t pick him.

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 812989, member: 1786”]How is it even a debate? I would be livid if a team mate (or player on a team I supported) didn’t pull the man down in that scenario. It’s a basic thing you are told all the way up along. Concede the foul to stop a goal chance.

Accumulated yellows would be a decent idea I think, but I suppose with the difference in the way various county championships are run then it may not really have the same effect across the board.[/quote]

The whole debate is retarded and is concentrating on an angry Brolly going off on one. The real issue is not Sean Cavanagh or thy foul, everyone believes he did what we’d all do. The debate should be about the rules, why we have to wait a year for them, why refs are so fucking inconsistent (some if them go heavy with cards early and then leave all sorts of shit go, others the opposite), why Tyrone play this filthy brand if football and get away with it etc etc. it really has little to do with Cavanagh, who is a refreshingly honest chap.