The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

[quote=“Julio Geordio, post: 813003, member: 332”]It’s very prevalent in Rugby where lads go deliberately offside, collapse mauls etc. and happily take the punishment as its not enough of a penalty. But thats not a sport so it doesn’t affect your point.

The black card, where you can replace the offender, wouldn’t be as severe a penalty to those teams with strong panels such as Dublin, but would be crippling to the weaker ones.[/quote]

That’s a very good point.

Does it count as a sub?

[quote=“Julio Geordio, post: 813003, member: 332”]It’s very prevalent in Rugby where lads go deliberately offside, collapse mauls etc. and happily take the punishment as its not enough of a penalty. But thats not a sport so it doesn’t affect your point.

The black card, where you can replace the offender, wouldn’t be as severe a penalty to those teams with strong panels such as Dublin, but would be crippling to the weaker ones.[/quote]
Agreed. But the rules of that sport allow for a sin binning for such offences, even if they aren’t always consistently applied. So while it does happen there is scope for a decent punishment.

As you say, it’s difficult to compare a sport with a game though. If I check my phone during a table quiz or collapse a maul in a game of rugby, I’m breaking the spirit of the game but it’s ultimately harmless divilment. Sport is an altogether more serous matter.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 813039, member: 273”]That’s a very good point.

Does it count as a sub?[/quote]

The replacements will be counted as subs also next year the amount of subs that can be used goes from 5 to 6. The way it is going to work is that you can sub the first 3 players that get black cards but if a 4th gets a black card then they cannot be replaced and the team will be down to 14 for the remainder of the game.

Fair play to Cavanagh for being honest, its a pity his manager cant be as honest and is also the biggest opponent to the black card and from seeing the way Tyrone play and the tactics they use then you can see why.

[quote=“tazdedub, post: 813041, member: 312”]The replacements will be counted as subs also next year the amount of subs that can be used goes from 5 to 6. The way it is going to work is that you can sub the first 3 players that get black cards but if a 4th gets a black card then they cannot be replaced and the team will be down to 14 for the remainder of the game.

Fair play to Cavanagh for being honest, its a pity his manager cant be as honest and is also the biggest opponent to the black card and from seeing the way Tyrone play and the tactics they use then you can see why.[/quote]

Has any manager, in hurling or football, ever been in favour of any rule change designed to clean up the game in the last 10 years?

Theoretically as things stand a team could deliberately foul to stop 15 goal scoring chances and still have all there players on the field. There is something seriously wrong with that and the rules do need to be looked at, but while that remains the situation it would be very naive of a team not to take advantage of it.

There is something seriously wrong with people who don’t know the difference between there, their and they’re.

They’re is also something seriously wrong with pedantic cunts annoying me on the Tuesday after a bank holiday.

No, their influence on decisions on the game far outweigh the importance of their opinion. Thankfully the culture of the manager is abating somewhat.

The black card rule seems like it will do so much, we’ll probably have to see it in action to know how good it is. Thanks taz

Good to see the debate focusing on the right area i.e. the penalty being too lax. If I was in the same position I’d have no problem doing what Cavanagh did. He 100% did the right thing as the rules stand. No need for Brolly’s character assassination attempt.

A cynical foul like that, to prevent a goal chance should be a red card though.

Even if a red card was the outcome it was the right thing to do. Sport is about winning not about playing an attractive brand. Thats not saying I wouldn’t prefer to see the team that play the nicer brand win, but life isn’t like that.

Standards have plummeted on this forum recently so I have taken it upon myself to start keeping people in check seeing as Bandage couldn’t give a fuck anymore seemingly. To be honest, I was just surprised and disappointed in you.

Here, you’re not here that long so pipe down.

That’s the 2nd such remark you’ve made in the last week, buddy-what’s up?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 813047, member: 273”]No, their influence on decisions on the game far outweigh the importance of their opinion. Thankfully the culture of the manager is abating somewhat.

The black card rule seems like it will do so much, we’ll probably have to see it in action to know how good it is. Thanks taz[/quote]

I don’t think it will stop the cynical fouling like what Cavanagh did over the last two weeks. If a similar scenario occurs next year as did on Saturday evening, Cavanagh or any other player will still do the same and foul the man to stop the goal and take the black card.

I think as well as introducing the black card they need to also follow this up with things like red cards for stopping goal scoring chances like the one Monaghan had on Saturday evening, they also need to introduce the carrying over of yellow cards, so if a player receives 2 yellow cards in 2 games he is suspended for the next game. They need to introduce draconian punishments for fouling to make players and managers think twice about fouling.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 813036, member: 273”]Touché.

But my selection, as I mention at the start, is 6 backs/6 forwards, positions irrelevant.

What is all the fucking fuss with Clarke? I really think he’s way way over rated on viewings so far. A good player no doubt, but an All-Star? At least 10-12 backs ahead if him.

As for Gormley, ya deserves consideration, but he’s a cunt of a player and I don’t like him so I didn’t pick him.[/quote]
You’re right to be honest, I think last year should really have ended the theory of 2-4, 3-6, 8-9, 10-12, 13-15, lines of all star selections. I mean can you really give Mark McHugh an All Star at wing forward in the this day and age?

For what its worth, Donal Vaughan has to be in there for me, and Marc O Sé, while having fuck all thrown at him yet, he will get some of the credit for closing out the Championships top scorer to date, has had a decent season at full back. He will live or die by his performance against Dublin.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 813064, member: 180”]You’re right to be honest, I think last year should really have ended the theory of 2-4, 3-6, 8-9, 10-12, 13-15, lines of all star selections. I mean can you really give Mark McHugh an All Star at wing forward in the this day and age?

For what its worth, Donal Vaughan has to be in there for me, and Marc O Sé, while having fuck all thrown at him yet, he will get some of the credit for closing out the Championships top scorer to date, has had a decent season at full back. He will live or die by his performance against Dublin.[/quote]

Marc O Se got roasted by Brian Hurley. Absolutely no way in hell should he be in. Played well the last day, but he’d have to be unbelievable against Dublin.

Joe talks about his rant on BBC Radio Ulster on Sunday, go to the 7 minute mark

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037yzjb

Roasted is a bit much, but fair enough, like I said, he’ll live or die by the Dublin game, and then inevitably, Mayo.

Donal Vaughan is a good call, can abdicate his primary role sometimes though. However it could be argued he creates enough to justify that.

Black cards are a start. But coming towards the end of a game, where cynical tackles might matter most, no one will give a shite about being subbed if they save a certain goal. Maybe penalty tries - I mean goals - should be considered where it is that blatant.
And a bit of respect for the fucking refs. Davy Fitz should have been sent to the stands a couple of weeks back. Instead, he’s excused as being passionate about the game instead of being called out for the loony-head-the-ball that he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3g1bep2Txo