The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

Does that not indicate constant pressure and running from Mayo?

Anyway the final against Dublin will be as tiring for all of us as anyone else. It’s going to be manic.

Nonsense kev…if you are marking a half forwrad who is running deep in near your goal and is receiving the ball and getting scores you have no choice but to mark him…

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 822083, member: 273”]

Anyway the final against Dublin will be as tiring for all of us as anyone else. It’s going to be manic.[/quote]

why would it be?..you just said Mayo are better than dublin…

I’m judging them coldly scum. I actually like Kerry alot an have loved their style for years. I hate them against us and I’m not particularly a Fam of the personalities or play acting of the 2004-2011 side. But seriously they have gone back alarmingly. They are slow all over the field and have no depth. People pick Kerry every single year, but they have only won 3 out of the last 11 years when they were the bookies favs every single time.

For years they were physically and tactically naive. Now they don’t have the players to go with a modern approach. This defensive system is laughable. Had Cavan not shat the pot in the first half and actually believed they could have won you’d never know what could have happened. They have played serious opposition twice this year, and in both cases got out played in the 2nd half.

Their lack of pace is going to be badly exposed next week.

It was great to listen to McGeeney and McGuinness - two people at the coal face of modern day football, and not the RTE clowns.

Might be favs against KY def not against Dub. Performance today bore no relation to the DL game when they were absolutely clinical.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 822087, member: 273”]But seriously they have gone back alarmingly. They are slow all over the field and have no depth. People pick Kerry every single year, but they have only won 3 out of the last 11 years when they were the bookies favs every single time.
Their lack of pace is going to be badly exposed next week.[/quote]

Hope you are right kev…haven´t seen kerry play since tipp game…just know they still ahve a lot of class…i actually would fancy dubs against Mayo for some reason…

But they can stay with their men, that’s the thing.

I think it will be manic cos you have the 2 fastest and most dynamic teams in the country. I just about think Mayo are better. It’s hardly an out-there prediction.

RTE is a joke now. Welded to the same old faces. How hard would it hav been to find a co commentator not utterly conflicted like Carney was

Woolberto would be a great get for RTE

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 822077, member: 273”]Different types of fitness. Mayo would have a higher average aerobic capacity I would suggest.

Donegal were more measured and went for manic bursts.

Both impressively fit sides.[/quote]

@myboyblue - I’d like to hear why my summation I dumb?

Or did you just do it because everything I said today came to pass an you were working off old beliefs of certain players.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 822093, member: 273”]But they can stay with their men, that’s the thing.
.[/quote]

but its not the thing you see…if they have to stay with their men when they run deep they won´t be the launchpad for attacks at the other end…a lot of the half forwards they have met have dropped back and invited them on…

We were beaten by a better team today, no doubt. However, I thought Tyrone had some real grievances with the refereeing performance - with Mayo out of sorts in the opening phases and Tyrone dominant and clocking up a few early scores Mayo were awarded with 3 phantom scores from frees. We would have built a 6 point lead up only for that and it would be a major obstacle for any team to overcome against Tyrone so early on. They penalty also looked to be a foul committed outside the area and they were awarded another phantom free moments after when Cavanagh clearly slapped the ball out of the Mayo man’s hands which they pointed, that’s a score of 1-4 which came at a juncture where the game was very much in the melting point.

Tyrone were completely bossed around the middle area for the last 50 minutes and that’s where the game was lost. We will be back better and stronger next year, hopefully we can get another year out of Gormley, his legs are going so we need to utilise his experience and craft in a way where his lack of pace will not be shown, putting him at centre back and getting him to hold the fort is the role we need.

I actually thought we were excellent in the back line considering how dominant Mayo were in the middle sector. Tyrone really need Kyle Coney to kick on. He was the star of the minor final where he came up against O’Se and he hasn’t progressed in the same way - although he’s been upset by injuries. The future is bright however, thought young McCurry showed up very well and McKenna (possibly McCarron) was outstanding in defence and was really trying to inspire his team mates on.

We will be back next year.

P.S. Mayo people are fucking animals.

:o)

You won’t get much argument from me, I rate the Dubs very highly also. I just have this feeling about the Mayo style against the Dubs. I would like for Mayo to put Higgins on Killkenny and play some long ball. They have better crumbing forwards than Cork and I think Cork were ripe to expose the dubs but didn’t play it smart enough.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 822098, member: 273”]@myboyblue - I’d like to hear why my summation I dumb?
.[/quote]

i´ve got a few ´dumbs´in my time but that last one you treated me to kev was childish at best…

yeah that could work alright…higgins could defo silence Kilkenny but in fairness soemone else seems to step up for dublin…i think connolly or brogan aren´t far off destroying a team…

Yeah. And another point soon after that.

Mayo wont win the all ireland. Mclaughlin and dillon bottled it today when the going was tough, with o connor gone they wont score enough. Andy moran has no pace anymore he couldn’t get first to any ball. The likes of johnny cooper would destroy him. Fair play to freeman i always thought him a softballer but he aint.

Two non match related observations. I went into the game with a girl from mayo whos a relation of my housemate and on seeing so many auld lads from mayo around i said to her its probably their big day out in dublin for tbe year, as a lot wont get final tickets. She told me she had a 73 year old uncle who was a bachelor and small farmer near castlebar, and hed been outside co mayo exactly twice in his life, to get a bypass in galway about 5 years ago and last year when after years of trying to make him her parents brought him to dublin, and that he didnt like it, which is to be expected due to crowds etc but they stopped in the zoo on the way home abd he was dumbfounded afterwards. I found that staggering.

Secondly on the train out after about five young lads maybe 15/16 years old got on in broomebridge, they had been fishing. Looking at everyone in jerseys and apparel one asked another, is dublin playing today? Another replied, no its kildare i think, before they asked a bystander and he told them who was playing. These lads werent d4 spacers they were normal working class lads who live only minutes from croker, but had no idea their county was in an all ireland semi next week. Don’t think youd see this in any other county.

[quote=“maroonandwhite, post: 822212, member: 1406”]
Secondly on the train out after about five young lads maybe 15/16 years old got on in broomebridge, they had been fishing. Looking at everyone in jerseys and apparel one asked another, is dublin playing today? Another replied, no its kildare i think, before they asked a bystander and he told them who was playing. These lads werent d4 spacers they were normal working class lads who live only minutes from croker, but had no idea their county was in an all ireland semi next week. Don’t think youd see this in any other county.[/quote]

There’s about a million of them mate. They can’t all be into GAA.