The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

Oh i know that im up here 4 years so ive worked with plenty of southsiders who go on about the grab all association but theyd know when big games are coming up. Would you see it anywhere else though, sligo town maybe

This annoyed the shit out of me today. Two commentators, anchor and 3 pundits all appeared to not notice.

Carney was even worse than Michael Duignan commenting on Kilkenny.

I thought today was the perfect game for Mayo to get under their belts before the final. They stared a bad situation in the face and came through with flying colours.

A serious performance and one I’d rate higher than their performance against Donegal. Their opponents’ heads were in the pub that day. Tyrone were fully focussed and at the top of their game. Mayo brushed them aside but it probably won’t be written up like that, which is perfect for them.

I had lunch with a few south side Dubs there recently they were amazed that some people would play football AND hurling. Could not their heads around it

[quote=“maroonandwhite, post: 822212, member: 1406”]Mayo wont win the all ireland. Mclaughlin and dillon bottled it today when the going was tough, with o connor gone they wont score enough. Andy moran has no pace anymore he couldn’t get first to any ball. The likes of johnny cooper would destroy him. Fair play to freeman i always thought him a softballer but he aint.

Two non match related observations. I went into the game with a girl from mayo whos a relation of my housemate and on seeing so many auld lads from mayo around i said to her its probably their big day out in dublin for tbe year, as a lot wont get final tickets. She told me she had a 73 year old uncle who was a bachelor and small farmer near castlebar, and hed been outside co mayo exactly twice in his life, to get a bypass in galway about 5 years ago and last year when after years of trying to make him her parents brought him to dublin, and that he didnt like it, which is to be expected due to crowds etc but they stopped in the zoo on the way home abd he was dumbfounded afterwards. I found that staggering.

Secondly on the train out after about five young lads maybe 15/16 years old got on in broomebridge, they had been fishing. Looking at everyone in jerseys and apparel one asked another, is dublin playing today? Another replied, no its kildare i think, before they asked a bystander and he told them who was playing. These lads werent d4 spacers they were normal working class lads who live only minutes from croker, but had no idea their county was in an all ireland semi next week. Don’t think youd see this in any other county.[/quote]

The ‘D4 spacers’ would be far more likely to be into GAA than ‘normal working class lads’ in dublin.

Mayo’s worries will be:
Can’t afford a slow start in the final.
Defence exposed on several occasions - that would be disastrous against Dublin.
O’Connor’s probable absence and lack of confidence in Freeman as a freetaker despite his great performance today.
Andy Moran is off the pace.

So you still have to rank Dublin favourites, but that will suit Mayo.

on second glance o connor seemed to hurt his shoulder when he won the free after diving over the endline i thought…

[quote=“Sidney, post: 822244, member: 183”]Mayo’s worries will be:
O’Connor’s probable absence and lack of confidence in Freeman as a freetaker despite his great performance today.

So you still have to rank Dublin favourites, but that will suit Mayo.[/quote]

What happened to Alan Dillon as a free taker? Didn’t he take them in the past (and was pretty good on them)?

Cillian O’Connor’s season-ending injury should now mean that Socks Dunne has his All-Star wrapped up. :clap:

The only team Connolly will destroy is Dublin.

I was pointing out MBB’s new tactic of avoiding debate or conversation on a point he is queried in by just pressing “dumb” or " dislike". When he clearly called this game and some of its participants wrong.

I really don’t care, something would be wrong with me if you and MBB wet agreeing too much.

Off one look an going from historical memory with McConnell, that could have been his effort regardless.

None of that takes away from the “chance” created and stopped by poor refereeing.

All refs will make a glaring mistake here and there and you’d almost give them 1 a game, but Deegan got 5 yesterday, at least. The sad thing is he looks decent compared to some of the other gimps refereeing.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 822244, member: 183”]Mayo’s worries will be:

So you still have to rank Dublin favourites, but that will suit Mayo.[/quote]

I’d be surprised if Moran starts. Horan isn’t into sensitive selections. If he does start it will be because he is improving thru training and playing well. Conroy and Varley impressed yesterday.

I don’t see why Freeman is an issue in anyway. He is a good player and a goo free taker. Not as good a COC on either count, but not many are.

Mayo have good forwards all over who generally play well as a unit. Dublin have 3-4 really stand out forwards of considerable class (Mannion, Killkenny & Flynn on form with Brogan teetering in it) but at least 3 of them need to be on form. Mayo have more depth in attack. I think Rock is a serious option though and could have a big day yet.

However Mayos really strength (and has been all year) is their defense and midfield, it’s very very impressive, the best back 9 (if you want to call it that) I can remember seeing since Cork & Meath circa 80/90’s. other teams have had very good defensive systems, but as a set of keeper, backs & midfield I can’t really remember better. Championships are won with strong defense, that’s why I have them slightly ahead of Dublin who have question marks in defense.

Whats a sensitive selection?

One based on emotion fitzy. Picking someone in service or on old performances over actual present form.

Oh right, I used to get a lot of them.

You were shit and they picked you cos of something you did back along? I was the opposite.

Well, no, I did an @Appendage there and lied.

I was utterly shit and never got picked. I had the pleasure of watching a bunch of incredibly talented lads playing though and I feel privilaged to have seen them and been their punching bag in training. Colm Kehoe at 14 was a spectacular sight to behold.

Is yer man Jason What’s His Name (Doherty?) in the Mayo squad these days? Scored a load in the league a couple of years back. Might even have played the All Ireland Final last year?

Started centre forward last year if memory serves me correctly. On the bench against Donegal, had an achilles problem earlier in the season I think.