The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

I see Mickey Harte is complaining about the challenge on Peter Harte yesterday.

“I think that would annoy me more than anything,” he said.

“He (Peter Harte) didn’t even get a free for something which forced him to leave the field on crutches. There is another anomaly for how we are looking at this game through certain lenses.”

Mickey would want to cop on and should definitely know better than that. It was a fantastic hit, the injury was unfortunate but it was a hard & fair shoulder, exactly what gaelic football is about.

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 822422, member: 1786”]I see Mickey Harte is complaining about the challenge on Aidan Harte yesterday.

Mickey would want to cop on and should definitely know better than that. It was a fantastic hit, the injury was unfortunate but it was a hard & fair shoulder, exactly what gaelic football is about.[/quote]
+1. It was actually a leg injury that Harte picked up in the fall that caused him to go off as well.

I would pretend I got a leg injury too if I got creamed like that.

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 822422, member: 1786”]I see Mickey Harte is complaining about the challenge on Aidan Harte yesterday.

Mickey would want to cop on and should definitely know better than that. It was a fantastic hit, the injury was unfortunate but it was a hard & fair shoulder, exactly what gaelic football is about.[/quote]

Peter Harte?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 822299, member: 273”]Off one look an going from historical memory with McConnell, that could have been his effort regardless.

None of that takes away from the “chance” created and stopped by poor refereeing.

All refs will make a glaring mistake here and there and you’d almost give them 1 a game, but Deegan got 5 yesterday, at least. The sad thing is he looks decent compared to some of the other gimps refereeing.[/quote]

in fairness to deegan, while I didn’t agree with him, he was giving frees all day for lads tackling any bit high…gormley done it to Freeman…deegan blew the whistle…joe macmahon heard the whistle and tried to give Freeman a sneaky wrap into the ribs going by him instead of making any attempt to stop him. McConnell didn’t bother either as he heard whistle too…how people are saying its a disallowed goal is nonsense…
I’m really beginning to believe there is a lot of bullshit to mayo…like Mayo are on a mission…what the fcuk do people think Dublin and Kerry are doing training FFS…they obviously believe they are going to win too…Dublin ar emad to get a crack at Mayo after last year…Kerry are mad to prove to everyone they are not finished…

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 822300, member: 273”]

However Mayos really strength (and has been all year) is their defense and midfield, it’s very very impressive, the best back 9 (if you want to call it that) I can remember seeing since Cork & Meath circa 80/90’s. other teams have had very good defensive systems, but as a set of keeper, backs & midfield I can’t really remember better. Championships are won with strong defense, that’s why I have them slightly ahead of Dublin who have question marks in defense.[/quote]

Tyrone 2003

Nah, more support from the forwards than Mayo have. Mayo have a long way to go to be compared to that Tyrone team, but Mayo’s defenders are more athletic at worst.

Tyrone conceded 1-5. 0-5, 0-6 and 0-9 in their last four matches of the 2003 championship. I don’t expect to see those kind of statistics ever be matched again.

And in the semi-final and final, their forwards didn’t play particularly well.

Man for man I’d definitely rate Tyrone’s 1-9 superior also.

[quote=“scumpot, post: 822446, member: 182”]in fairness to deegan, while I didn’t agree with him, he was giving frees all day for lads tackling any bit high…gormley done it to Freeman…deegan blew the whistle…joe macmahon heard the whistle and tried to give Freeman a sneaky wrap into the ribs going by him instead of making any attempt to stop him. McConnell didn’t bother either as he heard whistle too…how people are saying its a disallowed goal is nonsense…
I’m really beginning to believe there is a lot of bullshit to mayo…like Mayo are on a mission…what the fcuk do people think Dublin and Kerry are doing training FFS…they obviously believe they are going to win too…Dublin ar emad to get a crack at Mayo after last year…Kerry are mad to prove to everyone they are not finished…[/quote]

I don’t think there is any bull shit. People are just articulating Mayo’s mental strength and single mindedness. Kerry don’t have that, it’s as clear as day. The Dubs have it, as I say, there I very little between the Dubs & Mayo.

I’m going to back Dublin -2 and also going to back them for smaller amounts on the alternative handicap all the way to -7.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 822456, member: 183”]Tyrone conceded 1-5. 0-5, 0-6 and 0-9 in their last four matches of the 2003 championship. I don’t expect to see those kind of statistics ever be matched again.

And in the semi-final and final, their forwards didn’t play particularly well.

Man for man I’d definitely rate Tyrone’s 1-9 superior also.[/quote]

It’s fair enough really. Teams are scoring more now anyway, but you can’t argue with those stats really.

It was a long time coming, some people claimed it didn’t exist, but it looks like we’ve finally found it. Something Caoimhaoin can’t argue with.

[quote="caoimhaoin, post: 822457, member: 273 People are just articulating Mayo’s mental strength and single mindedness. Kerry don’t have that, it’s as clear as day.[/quote]

I don’t think you can question the mental strength of a team that has about 10 players with at least 2 or 3 all Ireland medals…maybe physically the body slows up from all the years of grafting…
Mayo are good but there is still serious question marks in my opinion…like I said we’ll see when a team puts that defence on the back foot…there was definitely holes there yesterday against Tyrone…

I don’t think you can question the mental strength of a team that has about 10 players with at least 2 or 3 all Ireland medals…maybe physically the body slows up from all the years of grafting…
Mayo are good but there is still serious question marks in my opinion…like I said we’ll see when a team puts that defence on the back foot…there was definitely holes there yesterday against Tyrone…[/quote]

I agree, question marks about them all. That’s what makes it good, they are both (Dublin & Mayo) going on the offensive. Their strength is their weakness. It’s great.

The question marks about Kerry are deeper.

Do the older players listen and believe in the system EF has implemented?
Can the older Kerry players play such a system in one year even if they do believe in it?
Do the older players believe in the younger lads who are clearly inferior to other former team mates?
Is EF being too loyal to Galvin?
The backs!
The bench!

I think alot of the answers are negative and the body language of the Kerry team is not what it was IMO.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 822466, member: 273”]I agree, question marks about them all. That’s what makes it good, they are both (Dublin & Mayo) going on the offensive. Their strength is their weakness. It’s great.
[/quote]
In that way both teams are the opposite of Emile Heskey, whose strength was his strength, according to Kevin Keegan.

All-Stars as of 3/9/13

1. Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
  2. Colin Walshe (Monaghan)
  3. Conor Gormley (Tyrone)
  4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)
  5. Dessie Mone (Monaghan)
  6. Donal Vaughan (Mayo)
  7. Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)
  8. Michael Darragh McAuley (Dublin)
  9. Aidan O’Shea (Mayo)
  10. Paul Flynn (Dublin)
  11. Colm Cooper (Kerry)
  12. Donnacha Walsh (Kerry)
  13. James O’Donoghue (Kerry)
  14. Socks Dunne (Cavan)
  15. Conor McManus (Monaghan)

Cian O’Sullivan is in with a very good shout now after Sunday.

This guys influence on Sunday’s mammoth win for Dublin has been very understated, especially by rats like @tazdedub , but there’s no doubting his skill, ability and importance to Dublin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7X2wh_rUKk

Fucking hell his technique is dreadful. Was ever told to follow thru and leave his toe where he wants the ball to go?

Ray McCarron and Gerry McCarville are glaring omissions here.

Football 'Stars of the ‘80s’ team:

Brian McAlinden (Armagh)

Harry Keegan (Roscommon), Kevin Kehilly (Cork), Seamus McHugh (Galway)

Jim Reilly (Cavan), Ciaran Murray (Monaghan), Colm Browne (Laois),

Dermot Earley (Roscommon), Willie Joe Padden (Mayo),

Peter McGinnity (Fermanagh), Eugene McKenna (Tyrone), Kevin O’Brien (Wicklow),

Eugene Hughes (Monaghan), Frank McGuigan (Tyrone), Tony McManus (Roscommon)

[quote=“Sidney, post: 830143, member: 183”]Ray McCarron and Gerry McCarville are glaring omissions here.
Football 'Stars of the ‘80s’ team:

Brian McAlinden (Armagh)

Harry Keegan (Roscommon), Kevin Kehilly (Cork), Seamus McHugh (Galway)

Jim Reilly (Cavan), Ciaran Murray (Monaghan), Colm Browne (Laois),

Dermot Earley (Roscommon), Willie Joe Padden (Mayo),

Peter McGinnity (Fermanagh), Eugene McKenna (Tyrone), Kevin O’Brien (Wicklow),

Eugene Hughes (Monaghan), Frank McGuigan (Tyrone), Tony McManus (Roscommon)[/quote]
Not to mention Tom Prendergast and Liam Irwin.