The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

Only the man who was fouled should be allowed to take the free from his hands :cool:

I’d like to see the breakdown of those frees timed and where and when they occurred in games. Did they publish their raw data?

No but they did say they’d come back to it to consider the location etc. over the summer.

The most serious issue that needs to be addressed is the skill levels of the players, minor skills such as passing and shooting. I was in the pub with a load of lads like myself who were good enough to be IC standard but we didn’t want it enough and we were laughing at some of the skills on display-laughing we were. What was the story with the keeper coming up to keep booting the ball wide? That got the best laughs of the match.

Was it somebody described them on the Sunday game as gym monkeys?

That’s how we described them anyway. Some of the players on display on Sunday were fucking huge but couldn’t kick the ball 15 yards to a teammate-fucking jokeshop. It was like watching a load of rugby backrow forwards playing full contact basketball-horrible it was just horrible.

I didn’t see any football last weekend but I thought there was an awful lot of throwing the ball in the opening weekend of the championship. Really blatant too.

I posted it here while watching TSG about Laois. The skill levels across the board in IC Football have gone to the fucking dogs. Spillane gets mocked a lot but he called this a long way out.

The number of players on the Limerick Football team who cannot kick or even solo the ball is unbelievable. Catch it, hop it and hand pass it. May aswell be playing basketball. It’s all about fitness these days

:smiley:

It’s not just Limerick players Julio-they’re all at it. Stephen O’Neill is a lovely footballer but looks even better when there’s only him and about 3 other lads on the pitch who can sell a dummy or comfortably solo the ball while running. Any interviews you read from players, they talk about being in the gym at 6 in the morning before some training drills in the evening-how many of these drills involve using a football I wonder?

I posted here a while back about how the sport will just be full of students in a few years. They, and the unemployed I guess, can devote enough time in this race to be the fittest and strongest team. As an amateur sport there is limited training time but it’s obviously easiest to use all that time on conditioning and hope that some of those super fit players turn out to be good footballers.

We’ve discussed this before lads. Ger Spillane won All Stars having gone through a full season having never kicked a ball.

Catch it, handpass it, run with it, handpass it, run and then pass to someone who can shoot. Glad to see the Mattie Forde tactic is now embracing Gaelic Football as a whole.

Extending on from Kev’s point yesterday to many sports having involved into being about not losing as opposed to winning. The big thing in football is to keep possession of the football at all costs. The training and drills are centered around this, you’d often hear intercounty lads described as a great ball carrier, same as rugby, eg he can caught a ball, break a tackle, hand pass and maybe get on the end for a return. God help them if they have to do anything out of the ordinary though or even a basic skill like a solo.

Gym monkey is a very apt term for most of them.

Seems to be a consensus emerging here on Gaelic football. I think limerick had only one forward who could kick the ball over the bar from play last weekend and we took him off. Limiting the use of the hand pass might be a step towards making the game a better spectacle.

I think the fouling around the middle of the field to slow attacks could be sorted fairly easily. A team could be warned against what the referee sees as persistent deliberate fouling, next player to do it gets a yellow. Add in a 10 min sin bin for a yellow and it’s problem solved.

Gaelic football is still an excellent game but the rules currently encourage negative play and rubbish players.

[quote=“glasagusban, post: 778287, member: 1533”]Seems to be a consensus emerging here on Gaelic football. I think limerick had only one forward who could kick the ball over the bar from play last weekend and we took him off. Limiting the use of the hand pass might be a step towards making the game a better spectacle.

I think the fouling around the middle of the field to slow attacks could be sorted fairly easily. A team could be warned against what the referee sees as persistent deliberate fouling, next player to do it gets a yellow. Add in a 10 min sin bin for a yellow and it’s problem solved.

Gaelic football is still an excellent game but the rules currently encourage negative play and rubbish players.[/quote]

But they tried bringing in the sin bin a while back and then just discarded it after a few league games. The mentality within the game needs to change where they just want 6 ft tall lads who can bench press big numbers and can break through a “tackle” whatever the fuck that is. Was it Carney who was co-commentating on Sunday and when they showed the replay of the stamping incident he just said ah yeah nothing in that? Nobody wants the physicality taken out of the game but when stamping and kidnapping referees in the boot of a car are considered acceptable within the game, then nothing will change.

+1 The kidnapping team should be penalised 13m every time.

Handbags Ger.

The “stamping” incident was a thing of nothing.
The clever boy thought he’d hold a mans leg, he got a kick, lesson learned.

The game has evolved Rocko, move with the times.