The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

[quote=“Sidney, post: 792914, member: 183”]Let’s make a list of good Gaelic football referees, past and present.

Tommy Sugrue
Pat McEnaney
Joe McQuillan[/quote]
McQuillan :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

No it’s not, it’s not hard at all. In fact it’s really really easy, simple in fact.

I think the steps should be increased to 5-6 and get strict on it. The way the game is now its impossible to get away clean in certain areas without taking steps.

The tackle is quite easy as well, it’s just they don’t understand it.

One of the absolutely biggest issues is their fitness, they are not fit enough. They are making fatigued decisions. For me they can only get a certain amount fitter, thus it might be time for 2 refs. Half the running, better decisions, more off the ball discipline will be needed by the players. But they need to get money as well. I absolutely guarantee there is the people there with the interest at young ages who woul like to be involved and may not be the best players but it can be a great way of earning a few extra bob, staying fit and being involved in the games they love.

We are very exclusive in GAA. It’s all about the coaches, administrators and players and fans for Inter county. One thing the Aussies beat the shit out of in is involvement of “other” people. People in refereeing, doing the extra bits for club teams like stats, equipment help, fund raising etc. basically they are better volunteers. But with refereeing they get money, and it attracts a whole different demographic of the Aussie Rules community.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 792912, member: 183”]+100

That the erroneous notion that there is no tackle in Gaelic football has gained such currency shows up the poor media analysis of the game.[/quote]

i think its more the way teams train is all about physical contact which , barring a shoulder to shoulder tackle, shouldn’t exist under the rules… no referee in my memory has ever given a free for full 70 minutes every time a player in possession was merely touched by an opponent…

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 792918, member: 273”]No it’s not, it’s not hard at all. In fact it’s really really easy, simple in fact.

I think the steps should be increased to 5-6 and get strict on it. The way the game is now its impossible to get away clean in certain areas without taking steps.
.[/quote]

but you’ve just changed the rules to make it easier…refs can’t do that…also you wouldn’t need to get away clean if someone wasn’t allowed touch you…but they are because there is no defined tackle with regards using your hands on opponent…the rules only mention tackling the ball…

Ah but if you had that people would be talking about it becoming a nancy boy’s game, even though it would be merely applying the rules. The rules of Gaelic football have never been applied in the game’s history.

I’m sure I remember you going on about how you preferred the way football was played in the late 80s when Meath and Cork were contesting All-Ireland finals. I’d say the rules were applied even more liberally back then.

The biggest problem to me seems to in refereeing front-on obstruction (blocking). There is a fundamental conflict. A player isn’t allowed charge with the ball but there’s nothing in the rules that allows obstruction with no attempt to play the ball. That’s a problem in football and hurling and is rarely refereed, it’s just eulogised as great intensity and physicality.

[FONT=arial][SIZE=2]As per the official guide[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=arial] ‘[SIZE=1][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Roman][SIZE=1][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Roman]Tackle (defined) page 87’.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=arial][SIZE=1][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Roman][SIZE=1][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Roman]Having reviewed the rule book I’m satisfied that there is enough regulation there to allow games to flow easier. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=arial][SIZE=1][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Roman][SIZE=1][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Roman]Players are not allowed to hold or strike their opponents and any contact other than shoulder to shoulder has to be incidental. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=arial][SIZE=1][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Roman][SIZE=1][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Roman]If the refs took this approach things would be a lot better. There would be no off the ball contact and tactics like playing the free arm and tacking people by punching their elbow would be removed. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=arial][SIZE=1][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Roman][SIZE=1][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Roman]We have the game we deserve.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote=“Sidney, post: 792935, member: 183”]Ah but if you had that people would be talking about it becoming a nancy boy’s game, even though it would be merely applying the rules. The rules of Gaelic football have never been applied in the game’s history.

I’m sure I remember you going on about how you preferred the way football was played in the late 80s when Meath and Cork were contesting All-Ireland finals. I’d say the rules were applied even more liberally back then.

The biggest problem to me seems to in refereeing front-on obstruction (blocking). There is a fundamental conflict. A player isn’t allowed charge with the ball but there’s nothing in the rules that allows obstruction with no attempt to play the ball. That’s a problem in football and hurling and is rarely refereed, it’s just eulogised as great intensity and physicality.[/quote]

but the very nature of gaelic games makes it physical…i mean how many sports are you designated a direct opponent to stand side by side with and follow all over the field for over an hour and then not be allowed to physically impose yourself on them??..what does the rulebook actually say about using your hands to even just stand up a player in possession?..is this defined?..or is any physical contact bar a shoulder technically a foul?..
I’ve said it before here but the free hand in hurling is a huge problem…lads are just clotheslining fellas in possession…keaney and big Joe are two modern day experts’ at it…

We need Joe Lennon here asap.

[quote=“scumpot, post: 792946, member: 182”]but the very nature of gaelic games makes it physical…i mean how many sports are you designated a direct opponent to stand side by side with and follow all over the field for over an hour and then not be allowed to physically impose yourself on them??..what does the rulebook actually say about using your hands to even just stand up a player in possession?..is this defined?..or is any physical contact bar a shoulder technically a foul?..
I’ve said it before here but the free hand in hurling is a huge problem…lads are just clotheslining fellas in possession…keaney and big Joe are two modern day experts’ at it…[/quote]

You can’t hold up a player with your hands. It’s pushing/holding or whatever. It just isn’t allowed. Sidney is quite right here. The bastardised games we have now are what have become accepted as the norm.

I think somewhere in the middle is the best outcome…tidy them up a bit and at least acknowledge that there is goign to be contact…like I said standing side by side with your direct opponent for so long will always lead to a bit of physicality…you’re never going to change that…just water them down a bit…you need a bit of physicality, just once its honest…not blocking runs etc…

1. TACKLE Any attempt to dispossess
    or reduce the advantage of
    opponent within the Rules of
    Fair Play. With the exception
    of the charge (fair), the tackle
    is aimed at the ball not the
    player.

I was referring to Appendage on about steps. The irony of that is its the one thing the majority are consistent on, letting it go.

I want 2 refs because it makes sense, lessens their work and reduces their need for the incredible step up in fitness they need now. They are so far away from the players fitness wise it’s stupid. That gap needs to close. Without money for doing it it seems the refs are not willing to put in the fitness work or in some cases are just too old. Harsh, but true.

The tackle is on the ball, open handed and shoulder to shoulder when the opponent ha possession, I really don’t see any grey area there.

In fairness the tackle is being coached far far better, Ambrose Rodgers gave an exhibition of the correct tackle last Sunday. It’s actually a great skill.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 792959, member: 273”]I was referring to Appendage on about steps. The irony of that is its the one thing the majority are consistent on, letting it go.

I want 2 refs because it makes sense, lessens their work and reduces their need for the incredible step up in fitness they need now. They are so far away from the players fitness wise it’s stupid. That gap needs to close. Without money for doing it it seems the refs are not willing to put in the fitness work or in some cases are just too old. Harsh, but true.
.[/quote]

the two refs is a very good idea alright…would totally cut out off the ball stuff I think…

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 792959, member: 273”]I was referring to Appendage on about steps. The irony of that is its the one thing the majority are consistent on, letting it go.

The tackle is on the ball, open handed and shoulder to shoulder when the opponent ha possession, I really don’t see any grey area there.

In fairness the tackle is being coached far far better, Ambrose Rodgers gave an exhibition of the correct tackle last Sunday. It’s actually a great skill.[/quote]

Basketball has two refs doesnt it?

the only other sport with so few officials is probably soccer ( are those behind the goal lads compulsory now?) and the pitch is about 40yds shorter.

[quote=“count of monte cristo, post: 792963, member: 348”]Basketball has two refs doesnt it?

the only other sport with so few officials is probably soccer ( are those behind the goal lads compulsory now?) and the pitch is about 40yds shorter.[/quote]

Ya and the linesmen have far more unfluence and also only cover half the field in Soccer. Rugby is played quite alot in one particular area of the field. But I’d hazard an educated guess most of the AIL Refs and above all have far superior fitness to most GAA refs. Yet they tell you at the Referee course you don’t have to be near as fit as the players if you “use your head”. As well as the wink wink nudge nudge when it comes to referees fitness testing. The standards are more guidelines than requirements.

2 refs or give the umpires input in calling frees and what not. Particular emphasis on the what not. It’s funny that when 2 players are jostling that in all cases both get booked. The cunt that started it should get his yellow card and the chap who retaliated should get carte blanche.

Although I guess umpires kind of need to be ball watching to a certain extent as moves can develop quickly and scores need to be adjudicated on.

I propose 2 more umpires at each end to focus on what not.

Another bug bear of mine is the foul given when player in possession grabs the arm of the tackler and goes to ground. Invariably a free and ‘good experienced’ play. Something Monkey Allen[/USER] might do for example. Or [USER=112]Gman.

being a defender this is a huge bug bear of mine, are refs blind? you can clearly see if a guy is dragging a defender down and it is so rarely called, it’s just laziness.

I believe Monkey Allen[/USER] to be above this sort of shite, [USER=112]Gman however would do anything to gain a free.

This Sunday sees Dublin play their 37TH consecutive Championship Match in Croke Park.

That fucks all.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 792978, member: 180”]This Sunday sees Dublin play their 37TH consecutive Championship Match in Croke Park.

That fucks all.[/quote]
Joke :eek:

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 792978, member: 180”]This Sunday sees Dublin play their 37TH consecutive Championship Match in Croke Park.

That fucks all.[/quote]

Only 2 All Ireland’s in 30 years, while it is a bit ridiculous, it’s had not done them all that much of a favor either. Their winning % is far superior away from home I’d say. The fans want to travel, the real Dub GAA people would love it.