The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

Good to see a double header in Ennis. :clap:

No surprise to see the GGA pandering to right wing British politicians.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 794878, member: 183”][FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Clare v Laois - Laois by a good bit[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Derry v Down - Another classic in store. Down by 1. Has to be on TV.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Leitrim v Armagh - cakewalk for Armagh[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Roscommon v Tyrone - cakewalk for Tyrone[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Galway v Waterford - cakewalk for Galway[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Longford v Wexford - Longford by 3 or 4[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Cavan v Fermanagh - Knife-edge game again. Fermanagh by 1.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]Kildare v Louth - Louth to win. Louth never feared Kildare.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Think Wex should beat Longford if they are interested. Think that win at weekend was Longfords first competitive win all year. Limerick are woeful this season.

Clare will fancy it too

[quote=“Sidney, post: 795023, member: 183”][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]Derry v Down not on TV. :rolleyes:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Round 2
Galway v Waterford, Pearse Stadium, Salthill, 2.30pm
Clare v Laois, Cusack Park, Ennis, 5pm
Derry v Down, Celtic Park, 5pm
Roscommon v Tyrone, Dr Hyde Park, 6pm[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]GAA Hurling All-Ireland Senior Championship Phase 2
Clare v Laois, Cusack Park, Ennis, 3pm
Kilkenny v Tipperary, Nowlan Park, 7pm (Live on TV3)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]Saturday, July 13[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=13px]GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Round 2
Longford v Wexford, Glennon Brothers Pearse Park, 2pm
Leitrim v Armagh, Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada, 5pm
Cavan v Fermanagh, Kingspan Breffni Park, 7pm
Kildare v Louth, Newbridge, 7pm[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Are these all saturday matches ?

Yes, first six are this Saturday.

Stupid system having repeat games just two rounds later. How hard would it be to keep the teams apart?

They are an impressive unit no doubt, but massive questions remain. They played Kildare who had alot of inexperience and were dreadfully set up. When they get to play Donegal, Mayo and to a lesser extent Cork and Kerry they are going to meet with alot more resistance an some formidable systems that could shut them down. As a team Dublin still have weaknesses and vulnerability about them that won’t be properly tested till August. They could go in underdone again.

I’m very impressed with their strength and condition. They are in wonderful “Gaelic Football” shape. But that’s not enough to win you an All-Ireland. Here is an article I just read that articulates some of what I have said before and been thinking. From someone far closer to the coal face than me.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/hold-fire-on-the-applause-its-early-yet-for-dubs-235673.html

This is an incredibly interesting championship. I have the following thoughts on the contenders. In order of my favoritism right now.

Mayo - They are now battering teams an playing for 70 minutes. A big statement here, but Mayo will not lose the All-Ireland this year because of mental weakness. In fact they are arguably one of the strongest teams there is mentally now. They will only not win it because they are less talented than one of the other contenders. They have an excellent defense with some super counter attackers, a very competitive midfield and a half forward line full if running and some guile. Villain O Connor is a monumental loss if he remains out, by far the most under rated player in football IMO. I think this could be their year.

Kerry - Gut feeling, and I may revise after Sunday but I just think the way they are approaching it this year, the Cian O Neill factor, the new ideas, the expected improvement in fitness means they are a very real contender. Their defense is the big question though, that is weaker than any of the other contenders. If they have come up with a system to offer protection to their backs they could go all the way.

Donegal - Really the only reason I have dropped them down is injuries, they are picking up alot. Having said that they still seem to be able to deal with whatever is thrown at them. Down are a decent side and threw something new at them but they kept the head, used their bench well and went forward. Monaghan will physically match them, but I think we could see their best performance to date. They are showing excellent hunger and if injuries clear up they could very easily go back-to-back, but they are starting to remind me of Cork in '11 a little bit.

Dublin - Everyone is raving about them and with good reason to an extent but they have not been tested. Teams have continually played into their hands. What McGeeney came up with the last day was more like a first year managers boldness (stupidity) than a five year coach. And even at that Kildare did show some vulnerability in the Dubs. To me they are not proven at all yet and I think the league Final where they struggled at times against a team a few places in rank below them is a better gauge. There is part of me that hopes if Cork don’t win thy these guys do, as it would be wonderfully refreshing. I still Maintain its somewhat naive.

Cork - Really next Sunday they could move to 2 or 3 but they really have not beaten anyone of note or shown their hand really this year. They are a forgotten side by many yet have a brilliantly talented squad. There are clear improvements in defense and some if the front line backs if last few ters are now just “Good Cover”. Teams have caught up in terms of athleticism with Cork but they still have some outstanding individuals who are proven match winners against other leading counties in Shields, Cadogan, Sheehan, Walsh, Kerrigan, Kelly, Goulding and O Connor. New players like Hurley look the real deal an in general it’s a very strong squad. Still to show anything against anyone of note, Sunday will tell alot.

Best of the rest: Tyrone, Down

I disagree. The potential to be beaten in 1/4’s is much higher now.

Time will tell on that one I guess. I wasn’t comparing to Gilroys tenure post Kerry’s earwigs, I was referring to prior to that awakening.

Was it Sidney who believe the gap between Division 1 and the rest wasn’t expanding? Recent results would make you think not only was it expanding, but Dublin’s demolition of Kildare would suggest there’s the possibility of a further breakaway taking place in Division 1. Thank God the hurling is competitive at least.

When you think about it, the football is more competitive now than ever, at least in the sense the eventual champions comes from a bigger group. 5 genuine contenders now. What year has that happened in the past? Possibly only last year.

I agree though on the widening gap. Up to others to close it. The GAA also needs to change the whole structure, but that’s a different argument.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795197, member: 273”]When you think about it, the football is more competitive now than ever, at least in the sense the eventual champions comes from a bigger group. 5 genuine contenders now. What year has that happened in the past? Possibly only last year.

I agree though on the widening gap. Up to others to close it. The GAA also needs to change the whole structure, but that’s a different argument.[/quote]
A change in structure would help others have the impetus to challenge it and push themselves on. There’s little or none there in the current structure. People constantly point to Donegal, but they were a purely Football county underperforming who had laid down structures some time ago as seen by their underage successes. Jimmy didnt just come in and wave a wand.

The structures are wrong all over, and of course County’s need to help themselves and push to close the gap, but its hard to do that in the face of beatings like Wicklow, Offaly and Carlow took over the weekend.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795154, member: 273”]They are an impressive unit no doubt, but massive questions remain. They played Kildare who had alot of inexperience and were dreadfully set up. When they get to play Donegal, Mayo and to a lesser extent Cork and Kerry they are going to meet with alot more resistance an some formidable systems that could shut them down. As a team Dublin still have weaknesses and vulnerability about them that won’t be properly tested till August. They could go in underdone again.

I’m very impressed with their strength and condition. They are in wonderful “Gaelic Football” shape. But that’s not enough to win you an All-Ireland. Here is an article I just read that articulates some of what I have said before and been thinking. From someone far closer to the coal face than me.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/hold-fire-on-the-applause-its-early-yet-for-dubs-235673.html

This is an incredibly interesting championship. I have the following thoughts on the contenders. In order of my favoritism right now.

Mayo - They are now battering teams an playing for 70 minutes. A big statement here, but Mayo will not lose the All-Ireland this year because of mental weakness. In fact they are arguably one of the strongest teams there is mentally now. They will only not win it because they are less talented than one of the other contenders. They have an excellent defense with some super counter attackers, a very competitive midfield and a half forward line full if running and some guile. Villain O Connor is a monumental loss if he remains out, by far the most under rated player in football IMO. I think this could be their year.

Kerry - Gut feeling, and I may revise after Sunday but I just think the way they are approaching it this year, the Cian O Neill factor, the new ideas, the expected improvement in fitness means they are a very real contender. Their defense is the big question though, that is weaker than any of the other contenders. If they have come up with a system to offer protection to their backs they could go all the way.

Donegal - Really the only reason I have dropped them down is injuries, they are picking up alot. Having said that they still seem to be able to deal with whatever is thrown at them. Down are a decent side and threw something new at them but they kept the head, used their bench well and went forward. Monaghan will physically match them, but I think we could see their best performance to date. They are showing excellent hunger and if injuries clear up they could very easily go back-to-back, but they are starting to remind me of Cork in '11 a little bit.

Dublin - Everyone is raving about them and with good reason to an extent but they have not been tested. Teams have continually played into their hands. What McGeeney came up with the last day was more like a first year managers boldness (stupidity) than a five year coach. And even at that Kildare did show some vulnerability in the Dubs. To me they are not proven at all yet and I think the league Final where they struggled at times against a team a few places in rank below them is a better gauge. There is part of me that hopes if Cork don’t win thy these guys do, as it would be wonderfully refreshing. I still Maintain its somewhat naive.

Cork - Really next Sunday they could move to 2 or 3 but they really have not beaten anyone of note or shown their hand really this year. They are a forgotten side by many yet have a brilliantly talented squad. There are clear improvements in defense and some if the front line backs if last few ters are now just “Good Cover”. Teams have caught up in terms of athleticism with Cork but they still have some outstanding individuals who are proven match winners against other leading counties in Shields, Cadogan, Sheehan, Walsh, Kerrigan, Kelly, Goulding and O Connor. New players like Hurley look the real deal an in general it’s a very strong squad. Still to show anything against anyone of note, Sunday will tell alot.

Best of the rest: Tyrone, Down[/quote]
I think it’s easy to be too dismissive of that Dublin performance. Kildare would have been in most top 6 or 7 lists before Sunday and although they were dreadful, it was a scintillating attacking performance from Dublin.

They’ll obviously face tougher opposition but who have Mayo (or Cork or Kerry) beaten? If Mayo deserve credit for battering teams over 70 minutes then surely Dublin have taken that to another level again.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 795202, member: 1”]I think it’s easy to be too dismissive of that Dublin performance. Kildare would have been in most top 6 or 7 lists before Sunday and although they were dreadful, it was a scintillating attacking performance from Dublin.

They’ll obviously face tougher opposition but who have Mayo (or Cork or Kerry) beaten? If Mayo deserve credit for battering teams over 70 minutes then surely Dublin have taken that to another level again.[/quote]

Mayo beat Dublin the last time they met in championship. That alone is enough to rank them higher. Cork and Kerry have eaten nobody, but Sunday one have them will have. Last year Cork demolished Kildare in similar fashion to Dublin yet lost the next game to Donegal. Kildare are not a great barometer in recent history. McGeeney is clearly missing something as a coach, as well as the fact they are just not that good.

My point about Mayo is formerly they’d never do it. Mayo were never ruthless. Dublin have been hammering teams in Leinster for a long time, nothing new there.

Counties are falling behind because of shit preparation. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Wicklow drew with Armagh two years ago and beat Down four years ago. They beat Longford this year. Armagh have not improved in the last two years. What’s Wicklow’s excuse? Poor attitude and poor preparation. Same with a load of other counties. Donegal have won one Ulster minor title and one u-21 in the last seven years and they won that u-21 title under McGuinness playing in this style. Roscommon, Galway and even Tipperary have had more success at underage level than Donegal yet are still shit at senior (granted Tipp’s success was very recent but I’d bet my house they’ll continue to remain shit at senior level because of the overall attitude to football in that county). Donegal are nothing special talent-wise but convincingly won last year’s All-Ireland. Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Tyrone and probably Mayo have more natural talent and there are at least five or or six other counties out there with at least as much. Galway, Derry, Down, Armagh, Meath and Kildare for definite. Donegal prepare better and have far more effective tactics. That’s why they punch above their weight and the others don’t.

Other counties may not win the All-Ireland but with the right preparation and structures they can be competitive. Cavan are showing this at the moment. A county like Offaly who have a comparable population and tradition should be able to do likewise. Monaghan has a population of only 60,000 people yet are back in an Ulster final for the third time in seven seasons. It’s up to these counties to get their act together but a tiered championship wouldn’t help at all - it would only damage the game in counties in the second tier. No All-Ireland B competition has ever been taken seriously and none ever will.

Donegal and at a push, Tyrone, are the only teams who would have a hope of containing Dublin on this form. I don’t see any evidence that Mayo, Kerry or Cork have a defensive system that can remotely cope with Dublin’s pace, movement and skill. Anything they try will be a watered down version of what Donegal do and that won’t be good enough. McGuinness has never beaten Dublin in four attempts as a manager by the way.

Caoimhaoin, Can you really say that any of the provincial championships are competitive for any of the top teams?

In Connacht Mayo are light years ahead of any other county. Leinster is the same. In Ulster I suppose it is a bit more competitive and its a pity that Donegal and Tyrone were paired together in the first round but you would still expect Donegal to come through there. Then in Munster I suppose they have been helped by Cork and Kerry being kept separate in the draw and only meeting in the final, other than those 2 there isn’t really any other competition in Munster.

I really think the competition only really gets going from the quarter final stage, when you would hope all the shit has been knocked out by that stage and you are left with the best counties going against each other.

I know Cork are rated 5th of the top 5 in the article above and no doubt they are one of the top teams but I just can’t see them as potential AI winners. They have a group of talented players but are one dimensional and tactically inept. And as noted above, the other contenders have now caught up and undone Cork’s main advantage in previous years, size and athleticism. They haven’t shown anything to suggest they have overcome any of the criticisms that could be levelled at them the last few years. Can’t see them ever adapting sufficiently to beat Donegal and can’t see them putting up a big enough score to beat Dublin in a shoot out. They might beat Kerry in the Munster final but I’d still give Kerry a better chance of winning the AI.

Ah Kev, that’s not true. Why have you not ranked Dublin higher than Kerry then? Or Cork and Kerry higher than Mayo? Or Donegal higher than Mayo?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795214, member: 273”]
Cork and Kerry have eaten nobody, but Sunday one have them will have. Last year Cork demolished Kildare in similar fashion to Dublin yet lost the next game to Donegal. Kildare are not a great barometer in recent history. McGeeney is clearly missing something as a coach, as well as the fact they are just not that good. [/quote]
But you can’t say Cork or Kerry are better than Dublin because one of them will have beaten the other. A is better than B or B is better than A so either A or B must be better than C. Nonsense.

My point about Mayo is formerly they’d never do it. Mayo were never ruthless. Dublin have been hammering teams in Leinster for a long time, nothing new there.[/quote]
Mayo certainly look improved. Dublin did struggle against Wexford, Meath and Kildare in recent years though. If they beat Meath comprehensively then it won’t mean much in terms of winning the whole thing but it will be much more impessive than their last 3 or 4 Leinster championships.

[quote=“tazdedub, post: 795221, member: 312”]Caoimhaoin, Can you really say that any of the provincial championships are competitive for any of the top teams?

In Connacht Mayo are light years ahead of any other county. Leinster is the same. In Ulster I suppose it is a bit more competitive and its a pity that Donegal and Tyrone were paired together in the first round but you would still expect Donegal to come through there. Then in Munster I suppose they have been helped by Cork and Kerry being kept separate in the draw and only meeting in the final, other than those 2 there isn’t really any other competition in Munster.

I really think the competition only really gets going from the quarter final stage, when you would hope all the shit has been knocked out by that stage and you are left with the best counties going against each other.[/quote]

I agree, it’s a shit competition. You are right, most of the provincial’s are worthless for judging teams. That’s kind of my point, due to our fucked up system you are judging on a bit of this, a bit if that, what you read from players and management and a little bit if recent history.

Cork and Kerry being Cork and Kerry is the only reason the winner if that game will have any real preperation before 1/4’s. as its late-ish in the year meeting in the finalist of advantage to win to either team, Cork especially.

My point about Mayo is formerly they’d never do it. Mayo were never ruthless. Dublin have been hammering teams in Leinster for a long time, nothing new there.[/quote]

Dublin haven’t given Kildare a beating like that in championship before kev…a division 1 side who reached semi final of league and missed about 4 goal chances against tyrone that day…tyrone go on and hold Dublin in final but dubs still win…tyrone keeper is man of the match because of saves and also five points from long range…now all we hear about how tyrone are back…keeper misses those five kicks the next day in ballybofey that would have given tyrone a serious lead…Donegal get a goal on the break and straight away they are this unbeatable team again. Whereas Dublin have played nobody and are in trouble when they meet a big gun???..its utter bollox… whether Dublin do get bet in quarters or not is irrelevant now…all they can be judged on is their performances to date…and Dublin have never played football like they are now…think the way they left kildare for dead deserves massive credit in an era where most coaches have developed negative tactics to win instead of positive ones…at first Dublin were dismissed in the league as going too well too soon and it would be a different story in summer…well its july now and they still look like they have a few gears to go up…brogan and Connolly and others certainly do anyway…any man who knows his arse from his elbow and has watched football would have been impressed by the sheer movement and force of Dublin on sunday… that’s not to say they have a divine right to keep winning in the future but it should be acknowledged when they do it in the present instead of always blaming the opposition…
your point about Mayo ranked higher than Dublin because they bet a Dublin team who were champions last year doesn’t wash either…2 teams in 20 years have retained sam for fuck sake…i think it was an achievement for Dublin to even get to a semi final last year…they were just going through the motions all year and shud have been bet a few times on the way…and mayo still needed a last minute save to beat them…

[quote=“Rocko, post: 795226, member: 1”]Ah Kev, that’s not true. Why have you not ranked Dublin higher than Kerry then? Or Cork and Kerry higher than Mayo? Or Donegal higher than Mayo?

But you can’t say Cork or Kerry are better than Dublin because one of them will have beaten the other. A is better than B or B is better than A so either A or B must be better than C. Nonsense.

Mayo certainly look improved. Dublin did struggle against Wexford, Meath and Kildare in recent years though. If they beat Meath comprehensively then it won’t mean much in terms of winning the whole thing but it will be much more impessive than their last 3 or 4 Leinster championships.[/quote]

As I said in another post Rocko, we are all taking bits and pieces because of the structure. It’s only my rankings, I wouldn’t get that worked up about it. But I do see a load of reasons why Dublin could get really stumped by the way they are playing.

I think mentally Donegal, Kerry and Mayo could all be in better placer rally come August. Cork the jury is very much out on, thus I ranked them below the dubs.