The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 795185, member: 180”]Time will tell on that one I guess. I wasn’t comparing to Gilroys tenure post Kerry’s earwigs, I was referring to prior to that awakening.
.[/quote]

that’s the thing…time won’t tell…you are comparing apples and oranges…two different styles and set ups completely…pillar’s Dublin weren’t near as talented as this current crop…not even close

I disagree, Cork showed they had the players and a system to beat Donegal in the first half of last years semi final. They just were not mentally prepared for 2nd half and for whatever reason (themselves or by instruction) stopped doing what was working.

I think there is a chance McGuinness recognized this and wanted to go after Mayo early as he figured they would have seen that and had a Sheehan-ONeill type channel in O Connor and Moran.

Cork and Kerry won’t be beaten by intensity or fitness this year. It’s just a case of are their management teams capable of being on too of the other teams and changes within a game. I think Kerry are better equipped there on all recent evidence of Corks management. If Cork don’t change (there was plenty signs in the league they have and haven’t so hard to judge) then they’ll lose Sunday and lose again in 1/4 finals.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795233, member: 273”]I disagree, Cork showed they had the players and a system to beat Donegal in the first half of last years semi final. They just were not mentally prepared for 2nd half and for whatever reason (themselves or by instruction) stopped doing what was working.

I think there is a chance McGuinness recognized this and wanted to go after Mayo early as he figured they would have seen that and had a Sheehan-ONeill type channel in O Connor and Moran.

[/quote]
Moran wasn’t playing.

Donegal embarrassed Cork. Down actually stayed with Donegal for longer than Cork did last year. But it would be pretty stupid to say that Down showed they had a system to beat Donegal.

For clarification, Dublin are great to watch, an I like their managers approach. I just believe it could be their un-doing.

[quote=“scumpot, post: 795230, member: 182”]Dublin haven’t given Kildare a beating like that in championship before kev…a division 1 side who reached semi final of league and missed about 4 goal chances against tyrone that day…tyrone go on and hold Dublin in final but dubs still win…tyrone keeper is man of the match because of saves and also five points from long range…now all we hear about how tyrone are back…keeper misses those five kicks the next day in ballybofey that would have given tyrone a serious lead…Donegal get a goal on the break and straight away they are this unbeatable team again. Whereas Dublin have played nobody and are in trouble when they meet a big gun???..its utter bollox… whether Dublin do get bet in quarters or not is irrelevant now…all they can be judged on is their performances to date…and Dublin have never played football like they are now…think the way they left kildare for dead deserves massive credit in an era where most coaches have developed negative tactics to win instead of positive ones…at first Dublin were dismissed in the league as going too well too soon and it would be a different story in summer…well its july now and they still look like they have a few gears to go up…brogan and Connolly and others certainly do anyway…any man who knows his arse from his elbow and has watched football would have been impressed by the sheer movement and force of Dublin on sunday… that’s not to say they have a divine right to keep winning in the future but it should be acknowledged when they do it in the present instead of always blaming the opposition…
your point about Mayo ranked higher than Dublin because they bet a Dublin team who were champions last year doesn’t wash either…2 teams in 20 years have retained sam for fuck sake…i think it was an achievement for Dublin to even get to a semi final last year…they were just going through the motions all year and shud have been bet a few times on the way…and mayo still needed a last minute save to beat them…[/quote]Agree but the one full stop followed by a capital letter might make it easier to read.

Try again Sid.

So do lads want to include the 2011 win when judging Dublin or not? Lads saying there has been alot if change, they didn’t win it last year because of 2011 but they might win it this yer because of that experience. Make up your minds.

Are you honestly comparing Dublin 2013 to Dublin 2012? It’s like comparing Tyrone 2005 to Tyrone 2004 or Kerry 2000 to Kerry 1999.

Dublin have moved on from last year. A lot.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 795234, member: 183”]Moran wasn’t playing.

Donegal embarrassed Cork. Down actually stayed with Donegal for longer than Cork did last year. But it would be pretty stupid to say that Down showed they had a system to beat Donegal.[/quote]

I wouldn’t say that. Sure they led for most of the match but it was pretty tight in the end after O’Neill got the goal.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795233, member: 273”]I disagree, Cork showed they had the players and a system to beat Donegal in the first half of last years semi final. They just were not mentally prepared for 2nd half and for whatever reason (themselves or by instruction) stopped doing what was working.

Cork and Kerry won’t be beaten by intensity or fitness this year. It’s just a case of are their management teams capable of being on too of the other teams and changes within a game. I think Kerry are better equipped there on all recent evidence of Corks management. If Cork don’t change (there was plenty signs in the league they have and haven’t so hard to judge) then they’ll lose Sunday and lose again in 1/4 finals.[/quote]
Don’t think cork looked anything like beating Donegal last year despite staying with them for the first part of the game. They ran themselves into the ground and Donegal finished relatively comfortably. See sids post below.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 795234, member: 183”]Moran wasn’t playing.

Donegal embarrassed Cork. Down actually stayed with Donegal for longer than Cork did last year. But it would be pretty stupid to say that Down showed they had a system to beat Donegal.[/quote]

Shut up Sid, you’re a tool. Cork were cutting Donegal up at times. Plus Cork have the players to beat Donegal, just not sure they have the management.

You have that arseways. Donegal were a decent bit ahead all match but Cork finished strongly with a goal from O’Neill and it was a nervous enough finish.

Similar to the Donegal Kerry match.

Ah it was probably up at that stage farmer, but going into the 2nd half I expected Cork to win. In the first half Cork had created quite a few openings thru slick passing.

What type of defensive systems do Cork, Kerry and Mayo operate? Mayo go man for man. So do Kerry. What have Cork been playing this year? I haven’t seen any of their matches but I’ve heard it’s a more defensive system.

Only Donegal, Tyrone and Down have employed anything like the kind of system that would be needed to beat Dublin. Any team that goes man to man against Dublin will be sitting ducks.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 795243, member: 183”]Are you honestly comparing Dublin 2013 to Dublin 2012? It’s like comparing Tyrone 2005 to Tyrone 2004 or Kerry 2000 to Kerry 1999.

Dublin have moved on from last year. A lot.[/quote]

You idiot. Dublin have won nothing yet.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 795251, member: 24”]You have that arseways. Donegal were a decent bit ahead all match but Cork finished strongly with a goal from O’Neill and it was a nervous enough finish.

Similar to the Donegal Kerry match.[/quote]
It was an even first half, Donegal looked comfortable and better in the second. Cork got a consolation goal.

I think you’ll find they’ve won the 2013 Leinster title!

Didnt you see Kev, Dublin have beaten Westmeath (subsequently beaten in Mullingar by Fermanagh FFS) and a pisspoor Kildare outfit who shit their pants again, all in their own backyard, the juggernaut is rollin’.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 795256, member: 183”]What type of defensive systems do Cork, Kerry and Mayo operate? Mayo go man for man. So do Kerry. What have Cork been playing this year? I haven’t seen any of their matches but I’ve heard it’s a more defensive system.

Only Donegal, Tyrone and Down have employed anything like the kind of system that would be needed to beat Dublin. Any team that goes man to man against Dublin will be sitting ducks.[/quote]

Leitrim play a sweeper in front of their full back line - and we held London to one point in the second half last Sunday. Should we meet, I would be confident of containing the Dubs.

Cork had one shot by Colm O’Neill (the one forward that really gave Donegal trouble) after about 50 minutes where they hit the bar. After that, they were gone and it was obvious. In fact Donegal’s dominance had begun before half-time. You can actually pinpoint it to one Cork attack after 30 minutes where they suddenly hit a mental wall about what to do. The result was never in doubt after that and only Donegal’s profiligacy in front of goal kept Cork in it. 2 points was a very misleading margin. O’Neill won’t be there this year.