The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

That would be like me saying at this point in 2011 that Cork had won nothing. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t have agreed with that, and you would have been right. I didn’t say that though.

You’re fairly dishing out the insults this morning by the way. Something the matter?

[quote=“Sidney, post: 795256, member: 183”]What type of defensive systems do Cork, Kerry and Mayo operate? Mayo go man for man. So do Kerry. What have Cork been playing this year? I haven’t seen any of their matches but I’ve heard it’s a more defensive system.

Only Donegal, Tyrone and Down have employed anything like the kind of system that would be needed to beat Dublin. Any team that goes man to man against Dublin will be sitting ducks.[/quote]

In the league Mark Collins played a covering centre back regularly. I think they will use Kelly and Sheehan in a rotating role similar to what Collins did. I expect them to use Collins at the end of games. I think (hope) Cork will use these players to move the ball in and around defensive systems by clever accurate foot passing. All 3 possess speed to get away from players which is vital to this working. Playing football at speed in a kind of diamond with players running At 45• angles to avoid the mess of the middle. A extra back can track either way when play comes thru the middle. If it comes from the wings he will be dragged one way. Quick transfer can help make him redundant or at least weaken his influence. The imaginary diamond starts with a Sheehan or Kelly collecting the ball in front of their own goals. That’s one possible way. Skill execution is obviously very important.

My view on Dublin is based on they are also vulnerable by the nature of playing man on man. Plus they have a guy really struggling with playing midfield, an unreliable half forward in Connolly and a liability at centre back. Their strength could be their weakness.

If we were basing it solely on the style of play of Dublin 2011 versus Dublin 2013 then I don’t think you can include the Dublin win of 2011 in judging Dublin now. However in saying there are still a fair few of the lads that were involved in the 2011 win that will have the experience to hopefully guide the younger lads now in the team when the going gets tough. The problem Dublin had last year was that we were stale, Gilroy never refreshed the squad after the AI win but we still reached a semi final.

What Gavin’s new management team have done is come in and totally refreshed things not only in personnel but also in style of play. Now we have a squad with a lot more scoring options and we have lads who are hungry to win and have been playing consistently all season right throughout the league and now into the championship. You can see the buzz in the older players, just look at the Bernard Brogan interview after the match on Sunday and you can the excitement and eagerness in him and in the team, this was lacking last year and for it is great to see. Whether or not we go all the way and I hope we do, I am loving this new style. If we do go all the way hopefully it will see an end to this dour defensive shite that we all had to endure. :slight_smile:

are you not the one posting up articles on psychology around here?..why do you think only 2 teams in over 20 years have only managed to retain football all Ireland?.its fatigue…its going around to the clubs on the piss from September to Christmas solid…trips to America…do you know Macauley and Brogan’s job after winning all Ireland was basically to go to functions representing the Dublin team?..it takes its toll…its fatigue…players seem to generally need a year at least between winning an AI…

[quote=“tazdedub, post: 795274, member: 312”]If we were basing it solely on the style of play of Dublin 2011 versus Dublin 2013 then I don’t think you can include the Dublin win of 2011 in judging Dublin now. However in saying there are still a fair few of the lads that were involved in the 2011 win that will have the experience to hopefully guide the younger lads now in the team when the going gets tough. The problem Dublin had last year was that we were stale, Gilroy never refreshed the squad after the AI win but we still reached a semi final.

What Gavin’s new management team have done is come in and totally refreshed things not only in personnel but also in style of play. Now we have a squad with a lot more scoring options and we have lads who are hungry to win and have been playing consistently all season right throughout the league and now into the championship. You can see the buzz in the older players, just look at the Bernard Brogan interview after the match on Sunday and you can the excitement and eagerness in him and in the team, this was lacking last year and for it is great to see. Whether or not we go all the way and I hope we do, I am loving this new style. If we do go all the way hopefully it will see an end to this dour defensive shite that we all had to endure. :)[/quote]

You won’t. As nobody else would really be able to match it, so it would be stupid to try, a la Kildare.

we get it pal…you hate Dublin…always have…so much so you can’t even see the difference between Pillar’s Dublin and the current team…you are talking utter nonsense from a footballing point of view…but for small man blind hatred of Dublin you’re motoring along nicely…Clichéd shit - bandwagon, juggernaut,dublin backyard…blah blah… Dublin don’t have any god given right to win anything…if they get beaten in quarters or semi’s then fair enough…at least it will be with great footballing style…if your beloved Kerry played the way Dublin did on sunday against a div. 1 team you’d be coating the tv screen in your basement with smoldering hot jizz…

Fuck the begrudgers. :clap:

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795273, member: 273”]
My view on Dublin is based on they are also vulnerable by the nature of playing man on man. Plus they have a guy really struggling with playing midfield, an unreliable half forward in Connolly and a liability at centre back. Their strength could be their weakness.[/quote]

you’re right about Dublin fullback is a sitting duck…the two corner backs don’t have enough physical presence to play against the likes of Macfadden and they won’t be protected…that’s a worry…
but for the love of god please tell me who is the Dublin midfielder struggling to play there??..macauley gets on so much ball and is good in the air while any man who watched dubs on sunday has to have noticed the off the ball work of cian o Sullivan helping out his defence…he was actually my man of the match…ok he’s not going to do high fielding, but sure do Dublin really need to have 2 big men there when they have cluxton’s accuracy from kickouts ?..the clue is in seeing Connolly and Flynn getting ball from kick outs in an area where the conventional midfielder would normally…how a man that is a self proclaimed expert on Aussie rules can’t see what Gavin is trying to do with O Sullivan in the middle?..its actually borrowed from Aussie rules…he’s the runner and on sunday he really looked like he was warming to the task…

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795273, member: 273”]
My view on Dublin is based on they are also vulnerable by the nature of playing man on man. Plus they have a guy really struggling with playing midfield, an unreliable half forward in Connolly and a liability at centre back. Their strength could be their weakness.[/quote]
I presume you’re referring to O’Sullivan there. He may end up getting found out but he certainly hasn’t been “really struggling” in the Championship so far.

In my opinion O Sullivan would be close to Flynn as being Dublin’s best all round player…great footballer, tackler , reads the game so well, great stamina…has it all…

I will say this about Gavin, he at least realises the benefits of a footballer with the god given talents of Eoghan O Gara and for that reason alone they must be respected and feared. A lot of Dublin fans have a hang up with O Gara but the guy is sheer class and Gavin’s decision to go for him when the game needed to be put to bed on Sunday shows his astuteness in the face of the buffoons who criticism Eoghan.

[quote=“scumpot, post: 795284, member: 182”]you’re right about Dublin fullback is a sitting duck…the two corner backs don’t have enough physical presence to play against the likes of Macfadden and they won’t be protected…that’s a worry…
but for the love of god please tell me who is the Dublin midfielder struggling to play there??..macauley gets on so much ball and is good in the air while any man who watched dubs on sunday has to have noticed the off the ball work of cian o Sullivan helping out his defence…he was actually my man of the match…ok he’s not going to do high fielding, but sure do Dublin really need to have 2 big men there when they have cluxton’s accuracy from kickouts ?..the clue is in seeing Connolly and Flynn getting ball from kick outs in an area where the conventional midfielder would normally…how a man that is a self proclaimed expert on Aussie rules can’t see what Gavin is trying to do with O Sullivan in the middle?..its actually borrowed from Aussie rules…he’s the runner and on sunday he really looked like he was warming to the task…[/quote]

You do know the runner is not an actual player in Aussie Rules ya? Maybe you are getting you names mixed up with tagger or something, but everyone in midfield in AR needs to be a hard runner bar the ruck man.
And playing an athletic man beside a big man is hardly anything new to football.
I don’t think high fielding is of any great advantage now, it’s at least been reduced. So I’m not that concerned about that.

O Sullivan was completely lost at midfield until after half time when Kildare ran out of gas and Dublin took over. I actually think he’s a fabulous athlete/footballer and maybe it’s just going to take some time, but he was lost with the pace and positioning and having to turn around alot more than he would at half back.

It’s been easy Rocko and he has been struggling with getting his head aroun it. Long term though I’m sure it’s a far better option than some of the alternatives.

Lame, Kev. Very lame.

Fuck you farmerinthecity O Gara is a talented footballer and is a weapon in the modern game :mad:

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795311, member: 273”]You do know the runner is not an actual player in Aussie Rules ya?
.[/quote]

yes kev I know ‘a runner’ is not a player…he’s the guy who comes on with messages from the manager .no I meant o Sullivan being a midfielder in the same mould as midfielder in aussie rules…they are predominantly runners who cover the ground…that’s what o sullivan is there to do IMHO… he’s played midfield for Crokes (think he might have won a senior county medal playing there) before kev so I think he does know what the role entails…

It wasn’t a joke or a pun. What he said is rudiculous.

Why look to Aussie Rules to have a tall athletic good footballer playing midfield. He is struggling with where he is and what he is doing and that will be badly exposed against better midfields unless he improves. What’s so hard to understand about my opinion.

The dubs are very tetchy about this, wanting us all to be drooling over them beating nobody. Ye’d all be fucked as coaches, things are never as good or as bad as they seem.

Well he’s not showing that scum and it’s a drastically different level.

You are still making no sense in the AR Runner. There is a ruck man (usually very tall) and 3 inside midfielders who are generally very tough and fit players generally of the smaller variety. The elite guys are extremely agile and skillful as well. Then there are two outside flank men, who cover huge ground. Is that who you mean?

Midfield in AR is pretty different to Gaelic in alot of ways.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 795218, member: 183”]

Donegal and at a push, Tyrone, are the only teams who would have a hope of containing Dublin on this form. I don’t see any evidence that Mayo, Kerry or Cork have a defensive system that can remotely cope with Dublin’s pace, movement and skill. Anything they try will be a watered down version of what Donegal do and that won’t be good enough. McGuinness has never beaten Dublin in four attempts as a manager by the way.[/quote]

a gooch/donaghy or Murphy/MacFadden type combo could take dub fullback line to the cleaners…a half forward and an inside forward on the same wavelength could massacre them…there is just so much space there…

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795327, member: 273”]

The dubs are very tetchy about this,.[/quote]
The man who’s been calling Dublin posters “tool”, “idiot” and “ridiculous” all morning calls others “very tetchy”. :smiley: