The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795327, member: 273”]

Why look to Aussie Rules to have a tall athletic good footballer playing midfield. He is struggling with where he is and what he is doing and that will be badly exposed against better midfields unless he improves. What’s so hard to understand about my opinion.
.[/quote]

the bit that’s hard to understand Kev is you still say O Sullivna is really struggling…he was near man of the match on sunday…so he can’t be struggling…like Rocko said he may or may not struggle in future but to be having a go at him after Sunday’s performance is complete and utter nonsense I’m gutted I’ll never make it as a coach kev…fookin gutted…

As I said, Donegal and, at a push, Tyrone, are the only teams who have the tactical set-up to exploit Dublin (though I would still expect Dublin to be too good for Tyrone and grind out a narrow win over Donegal). Kerry are creaking badly and I’d expect the SuperDubs’[SIZE=3][FONT=arial] [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=3][FONT=arial]© [/FONT][/SIZE]outstanding pace and movement to rip them apart.*

*I’m embracing the hype this year.

You won’t, as you only see the ball going one way scum and like most fans remember the good bits and quickly ignore the poor bits. He was not at all good in the first half. You, or Rocko or anyone else is not ping to change me on that.

But you want to be a fan/couch potato, I don’t and that’s totally fine, there is room for everyone.

As I say, it’s really balance I’m looking for and at the moment ye don’t have any any. This is a young exciting Dublin team and as I have said many times, I think they’ll win at least 1 or 2 All Ireland’s as a group. Just right now I don’t think it’s this year.

No, just you Sid. I called te group of dubs here tetchy.

It’s absolutely amazing how no matter how many time ye get let down ye still hype them up beyond belief.

Are you giving up in explaining your AR amplify scumpot and just leaving it at us all thinking you are talking thru your ass or what’s the story?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795382, member: 273”]You won’t, as you only see the ball going one way scum and like most fans remember the good bits and quickly ignore the poor bits. He was not at all good in the first half. You, or Rocko or anyone else is not ping to change me on that.
[/quote]

did I not say O Sullivan’s work off the ball was most impressive??..you’ll never make it as a manager if all you watch is the ball kev…and if that’s the way you watch a match you’re better watching it from a couch as you’ll see just as much on the tv…u’ll be stuck in the gym far away from the action giving advice on S & C and Romany gypsy ball crush deadlift or whatever name u want to give them…

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795384, member: 273”]No, just you Sid. I called te group of dubs here tetchy.

It’s absolutely amazing how no matter how many time ye get let down ye still hype them up beyond belief.[/quote]

that’s the whole point we are trying to make…you are just being lazy spouting out the same shit…Dublin had unfounded hype under lyons and Caffrey…nobody can deny that…sunday was a masterful performance…its deserves serious credit…thats not hype…its deserved…big difference…but you are just being lazy and clichéd dismissing it as same old Dublin when its clearly not… its gas the article you put up from examiner by Mcentee…he spends the whole article talking about what could happen in future all going wrong, as opposed to the now…he calls Connolly out as not moving around enough on the day Connolly is involved in the scoring of 3 goals !!..its actually a pathetic article IMHO…

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795384, member: 273”]No, just you Sid. I called te group of dubs here tetchy.

It’s absolutely amazing how no matter how many time ye get let down ye still hype them up beyond belief.[/quote]

I only predicted a 2-17 to 1-12 scoreline on Sunday, Kev. Like Sky with the Loins series, I’ve under-hyped this SuperDubs[SIZE=3][FONT=arial]©[/FONT][/SIZE] team, if anything. There isn’t enough hype in the world that could do them justice, they’re that good. :slight_smile:

We’re not tetchy, just smug. That’s because we’re the best. :cool:

You’ve actually answered it yourself with the description you gave of midfielders in AFL…it ties in with what I said about O Sullivan…i didn’t actually want to embarrass you by pointing it out to you … but you had to push it…

any chance you could answer this post caoimhaoin ??..seing as you are always shiteing on about psychology yet can’t understand why only 2 teams have ever retained all Ireland in over 20 years…

I didn’t answer it cos it’s a load of old pub talk.

The main reason it’s not retained is two fold, it’s Amatuer and it’s not really set up to award the most consistent team.

That’s why we have a hard time picking winners and agreeing from year to year. Basically it’s a shit competition in structure.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795462, member: 273”]
That’s why we have a hard time picking winners and agreeing from year to year. Basically it’s a shit competition in structure.[/quote]
What structure would you like to see, Kev?

Utter shite, you haven’t a notion what you are talking about. You compared Cian O Sullivan to a Runner, and yet you still can’t explain what that is.

I’m a runner for a semi-professional Aussie Rules team. An amazing rise to the top for an average Junior Gaelic Footballer. It must be the sun.

Run off the provisional championships in May and June. Then starting in July have an open draw for the All Ireland, put all counties into the hat and draw them out.

Probably something with a set number of games with a Div 1 & 2 with 16 in each. Split into either groups of 4 or 8, winners of groups only get thru if group of 4. top 4 for 1/4’s if groups of 8. Groups of 8 would obviously kill the need for a league.
Groups of 4 could allow for a pre season cup or a regional competition or maybe provincial competitions, but I would prefer the Provincial comps and councils to be abdoned.
Played off over 12-16 weeks with an opportunity for clubs to play league in this time. Then club championship starts after All Ireland’s with straight knock out.

Everything starts around end of April. IC finished by 1st week in August.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 795465, member: 273”]Utter shite, you haven’t a notion what you are talking about. You compared Cian O Sullivan to a Runner, and yet you still can’t explain what that is.
.[/quote]
No…I compared Cian O Sullivan to a runner in the context of the way he plays in midfield…how you think I’m comparing him to glorified bobby boucher who runs onto the field relaying messages is quite frankly baffling or as Sidney said lame…you are really clutching at straws kev…you’re better than that pal…

You compared him to a runner in Aussie rules and that Gavin got the idea from Aussie Rules. I have you plenty of outs, yet you didn’t take them.

You are therefore, in this instance at least, talking thru your ass.

I would keep the football championship as it is as I’ve not yet seen one alternative proposal that would improve things.

Playing the provincial championships as a totally separate competition won’t work as they’d effectively fulfil the role that the O’Byrne Cup/McKenna Cup currently have and won’t be taken seriously by players or spectators.

Running the championship on a Champions League style format won’t work either as you’ll increase the certainty that you’ll end up with the same quarter-final line-up most years and the scope for shocks will be dramatically reduced. Some might say we get the same teams reaching the quarter-finals most years anyway, and that’s largely true, and will be true whatever system you have, but the qualifiers at least give an unpredictability that a round robin system will never have.

Scrapping the provincial championships also underestimates their importance of the provincial finals as occasions, and also underestimates the importance of the the provincial championships as competitions in their own right. Winning a provincial championship remains a massive deal for most counties. Perhaps it isn’t for Dublin footballers or Kilkenny hurlers, but for Dublin or Limerick hurlers, Monaghan footballers and pretty much everybody else, it is. These occasions have 100 years of tradition behind them and they matter. One of the weaknesses of modern sport is how everything is focussed on the big prize at the expense of everything else. In soccer, only the BPL and the Champions League matter. Great competitions like the FA Cup, the Cup Winners’ Cup and the UEFA Cup are now treated as inconveniences. In GAA you have competitions that aren’t the main prize but that still matter hugely. If you abolish the provincial championships and the League, or play the provincial championships as a separate competition, you then just have the All-Ireland to aim for and nothing else. That would make the inter-county GAA scene a lot duller.

Abolishing the League and restricting the inter-county season to late April to early August is possibly the stupidest thing the GAA could do in a competitive market. The first four months of the year with no inter-county action? Seriously? The club is the bedrock of the GAA but the inter-county scene drives almost all of its media exposure. If anything I’d bring back a few league matches before Christmas.

The current system at least strikes some kind of a balance between knockout and giving counties more games, it still retains most of the essence of what championship is about, and it retains traditional occasions such as the Munster hurling final and the Ulster football final. A round robin system would be extremely dull in comparison.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 795534, member: 183”]I would keep the football championship as it is as I’ve not yet seen one alternative proposal that would improve things.

Playing the provincial championships as a totally separate competition won’t work as they’d effectively fulfil the role that the O’Byrne Cup/McKenna Cup currently have and won’t be taken seriously by players or spectators.

Running the championship on a Champions League style format won’t work either as you’ll increase the certainty that you’ll end up with the same quarter-final line-up most years and the scope for shocks will be dramatically reduced. Some might say we get the same teams reaching the quarter-finals most years anyway, and that’s largely true, and will be true whatever system you have, but the qualifiers at least give an unpredictability that a round robin system will never have.

Scrapping the provincial championships also underestimates their importance of the provincial finals as occasions, and also underestimates the importance of the the provincial championships as competitions in their own right. Winning a provincial championship remains a massive deal for most counties. Perhaps it isn’t for Dublin footballers or Kilkenny hurlers, but for Dublin or Limerick hurlers, Monaghan footballers and pretty much everybody else, it is. These occasions have 100 years of tradition behind them and they matter. One of the weaknesses of modern sport is how everything is focussed on the big prize at the expense of everything else. In soccer, only the BPL and the Champions League matter. Great competitions like the FA Cup, the Cup Winners’ Cup and the UEFA Cup are now treated as inconveniences. In GAA you have competitions that aren’t the main prize but that still matter hugely. If you abolish the provincial championships and the League, or play the provincial championships as a separate competition, you then just have the All-Ireland to aim for and nothing else. That would make the inter-county GAA scene a lot duller.

Abolishing the League and restricting the inter-county season to late April to early August is possibly the stupidest thing the GAA could do in a competitive market. The first four months of the year with no inter-county action? Seriously? The club is the bedrock of the GAA but the inter-county scene drives almost all of its media exposure. If anything I’d bring back a few league matches before Christmas.

The current system at least strikes some kind of a balance between knockout and giving counties more games, it still retains most of the essence of what championship is about, and it retains traditional occasions such as the Munster hurling final and the Ulster football final. A round robin system would be extremely dull in comparison.[/quote]
Well said sid

Sid makes some very good points there but I really think the 2 or 3 tier system could work if given time to bed in. There will always be opposition to it originally but over time the likes of Wicklow and carlow would realise playing at their own level with a realistic chance of winning something is far more enjoyable than the pastings they are taking lately. Teams could build and move up a level if and when ready.
It works perfectly at club level in the Gaa already with junior and intermediate championships.

[quote=“gola, post: 795668, member: 244”]Sid makes some very good points there but I really think the 2 or 3 tier system could work if given time to bed in. There will always be opposition to it originally but over time the likes of Wicklow and carlow would realise playing at their own level with a realistic chance of winning something is far more enjoyable than the pastings they are taking lately. Teams could build and move up a level if and when ready.
It works perfectly at club level in the Gaa already with junior and intermediate championships.[/quote]

Agreed, the Tommy Murphy Cup did wonders for the game that time we restricted it to Division 4 teams.