The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 803115, member: 180”]
Just shows you what football is like these days. Summed up in 2 sentences.[/quote]

All teams aren’t like that.

Just the ones with little or no talent. All the good ones add talent to the power.

Also worth mentioning McGeeney has contributed handsomely to the bankrupting of the KCB.

[quote=“gola, post: 803103, member: 244”]Armagh’s answer to the gooch also looks like he’s Armagh’s answer to galvin.

http://jamieclarke.net/[/quote]

If you check out his trip to South America he’s only gone and done the very same journey as Bandage.

Dublin hurlers looked like that against Wexford the first night. Clearly Kildare don’t have footballers of the quality of the top five or even of Tyrone’s calibre, but with home advantage they’ll be be hard beaten on Saturday. Whoever gets through that should beat Meath, and going into an All-Ireland quarter-final with four or five weeks championship football under your belt is a good place to be. On that basis alone you’d have to give Kildare or Tyrone a decent chance of causing an upset in the quarter-final as long as they aren’t drawn against this all-powerful and infallible SuperDubs team.

They won’t come through these next two games.

I wouldn’t fancy Kildare against Meath. To me Meath have better players and I was impressed with them a lot last Sunday.

Momentum is key and I’d be surprised of the winner of the Kildare-Tyrone tie doesn’t have the momentum. Again, I’m not saying that Kildare have the players to win the All-Ireland or anything but I think their tactics really made them look a lot worse than they are against Dublin. I just think that whoever wins on Saturday will gain a huge amount from it. Meath, as always, put it up to Dublin but I wouldn’t be so sure they’ll maintain that level of performance for the qualifier.

myboyblue - there was a lot of media reports about Laois players leaving the squad after the provincial defeat. Did (m)any actually withdraw in the end? I was looking at your team from the last qualifier game and no major omissions were really jumping out at me other than Brendan Quigley.

Quigley and Meaney are the main losses, and at that Meaney wasnt getting his game (he would be now mind you and his treatment under McNulty has been infuriating) and Quigleys form was a shadow of his All Star nominated one last year. The bench is weak however as a result of the losses of O Connor and the rest but the major loss is still Healy, one of the best man markers in the game, hes a born leader. He is irreplaceable.

Many would say, and I’d agree, that the team is better now than against Louth, most notably the forward line, with the inclusions of Conway, Meredith and Sheehan most notably. However, start like we did against Louth Carlow and Clare and I’d be shocked to see us come out of Wexford with even a narrow loss.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 803213, member: 180”]Quigley and Meaney are the main losses, and at that Meaney wasnt getting his game (he would be now mind you and his treatment under McNulty has been infuriating) and Quigleys form was a shadow of his All Star nominated one last year. The bench is weak however as a result of the losses of O Connor and the rest but the major loss is still Healy, one of the best man markers in the game, hes a born leader. He is irreplaceable.

Many would say, and I’d agree, that the team is better now than against Louth, most notably the forward line, with the inclusions of Conway, Meredith and Sheehan most notably. However, start like we did against Louth Carlow and Clare and I’d be shocked to see us come out of Wexford with even a narrow loss.[/quote]

I reckon it’s a draw that both sides were okay with and, despite those absentees, the team that started against Clare looks decent enough. We were shit at home in the league - stealing a completely undeserved late win against Longford (a trend in games between us and them) followed by 3 defeats, including the one against Laois which confirmed our relegation. It’s a hard game to call in all honesty.

There is a very good chance Dublin played their best game of the year against Kildare and may well have peaked too soon. Their peak fitness was very impressive very early in the season. It’s hard to imagine another level in the 1st year of a new management. Over time they could reach another couple of levels, but within one year I have a sneaky feeling we have seen the best of the Dubs.

There is a possibility 85-90% of their best could win an All Ireland, but I doubt it.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 803227, member: 273”]There is a very good chance Dublin played their best game of the year against Kildare and may well have peaked too soon. Their peak fitness was very impressive very early in the season. It’s hard to imagine another level in the 1st year of a new management. Over time they could reach another couple of levels, but within one year I have a sneaky feeling we have seen the best of the Dubs.

There is a possibility 85-90% of their best could win an All Ireland, but I doubt it.[/quote]

kev, Colm O’Rourke( Failed property developer) said all talk about fitness breakthroughs in GGA is guff as GGA people arent professional atheletes and while they may try and train as hard as pro’s they dont get the same recovery time so their fitness cant be that good. He used Donegal as an example and said the majority of players worked so they couldnt train or recover like normal athletes

Also MBB - Every team are gym monkeys, especially Laois and your beloved Kerry.

I saw photos recently of the Cork U21 semi finals and you can see its clearly the norm to lift weights now. All the players were strong looking.

I also saw photos of Ilen Rovers playing Senior Championship a few weeks back, they were massive. Probably as big as the Armagh team of 2000’s. this is a club from a tiny village on the edge of the Atlantic who can barely get 13 players for underage 13-a-side competitions. When it’s the norm there it tells you alot. You wouldn’t win the Cork Junior Football championship now without some sort of Strength program. It’s the norm.

Correct use if the exercises and muscle built to suit your frame = Speed & less injuries.

It makes total sense to be in the gym for a good part of your training.

It is certainly very difficult TASE, but it’s actually easier for Gaelic players in ways to reach higher levels of Conditioing, but not match fitness. Unless you are in qualifiers.

I work in Semi-Pro sport and I think this is most comparable to where GAA is right now. But we play every week and it’s an absolute struggle to get them recovered. It’s such a physical game that alot of guys struggle to get ready for Tuesday nights in session from a Saturday game. That’s with massage & physio available to them whenever they want as well as 2 recovery sessions between end of game and Tuesday night. That’s one active recovery session and one mobility and strength recovery session.

The GAA teams can have massive breaks in their season, so they can periodise blocks of training. The problem with that is the blunting if match skills.

People blame the coaches and the training, but it’s the system is the issue.

So I don’t really think O Rourke truly knows what he is on about and read something somewhere or heard that comment from someone. But recovery for Inter County players is NOT an issue.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 803233, member: 273”]It is certainly very difficult TASE, but it’s actually easier for Gaelic players in ways to reach higher levels of Conditioing, but not match fitness. Unless you are in qualifiers.

I work in Semi-Pro sport and I think this is most comparable to where GAA is right now. But we play every week and it’s an absolute struggle to get them recovered. It’s such a physical game that alot of guys struggle to get ready for Tuesday nights in session from a Saturday game. That’s with massage & physio available to them whenever they want as well as 2 recovery sessions between end of game and Tuesday night. That’s one active recovery session and one mobility and strength recovery session.

The GAA teams can have massive breaks in their season, so they can periodise blocks of training. The problem with that is the blunting if match skills.

People blame the coaches and the training, but it’s the system is the issue.

So I don’t really think O Rourke truly knows what he is on about and read something somewhere or heard that comment from someone. But recovery for Inter County players is NOT an issue.[/quote]

cheers kev

good answer

another thing I hear is that when Tyrone were at their peak, 90% of their training consisted of training games or games between themselves. This way their match fitness was always brilliant and they learned the system they were to play(hunting in packs etc)

is that guff?

[quote=“The Wild Colonial Bhoy, post: 803234, member: 80”]cheers kev

good answer

another thing I hear is that when Tyrone were at their peak, 90% of their training consisted of training games or games between themselves. This way their match fitness was always brilliant and they learned the system they were to play(hunting in packs etc)

is that guff?[/quote]

No, that would make sense alright. That’s a great way to set your own stall out. But what about the opposition? It’s very hard to train yourself to a level (without over training) that you will be confident will match the way the opposition have prepared. For instance, the quality of the Tyrone “B” players who match up for drills were obviously of not high enough standard for Corks pacey attacking in 09, but were plenty good enough to mimic the intensity Kerry brought the year before.

Regular games help you find out alot more about yourself and opposition. Of course there is an argument, one I can’t ever completely agree with, that this inbalanced championships adds to the intrigue of the overall competition. That would stack up if smaller counties were coming thru and fooling everyone with different game plans game on game. But it doesn’t.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/columnists/1707131055-dermot-earley-column/

Yea given the other options both sides will feel this is very winnable with home advantage swinging it in Wexfords favour. I wouldn’t tea anything into the league, we’ve seen Wexford are a different side since Championship has thrown in. Clare and Carlow has taken the sting out of the Louth hammering but in reality both are complete shit and still lead well after 20 mins. If Wexford get that start its game over. I would have serious concerns over the Laois back line however, major pace issues aside from 1 or 2, and one in particular.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 803232, member: 273”]Also MBB - Every team are gym monkeys, especially Laois and your beloved Kerry.
.[/quote]
You should have read all of what I said Kev, I said the good sides have talent to add to the power, Kildare dont, yet regularly get put in with this mythical ‘Top 6’, when in reality there’s only a Top 4, at best. Kildare have done nothing to warrant inclusion with the likes of Kerry Dublin Donegal and Mayo.

Why not a top 6? Or a top 10?