The Official Cork GAA 2017 Thread

No haven’t seen them play.

UCC are grand so long as they aren’t winning. A result like tonight will probably be the end of them participating in the championship.

A lot will depend on Fourmilewater/The Nire fixture list

Does seem crazy; how do the other clubs feel about it?

Grand until they start winning .

But UCC have won football coubties in last 20 years.

It won’t happen

You have to understand the relationships involved. Cork need CIT and UCC for facilities and expertise. It won’t hapoen anytine soon anyway.

It adds another ingredient to championship.

It Midleton were good enough they would win. End of.

Ah here, it would take a hell of a lot for your average club side to beat a side made up of intercounty players like Barron, Coleman, Fitzgibbon, Breen and co.

“Being good enough” to me means good enough to beat club sides made up of players from, eh, actual proper GAA clubs.

3 Likes

Utter utter shite . They are not a club .

3 Likes

If UCC played a team made up of cork players only, id have no problem with their participation. As it is, they do nothing to further the interest of the cork senior hurling team imho.

It would. But in making the fixtures the cork co board dont take into account any other obligations these lads might have. So they could have (theoretically) ended up ina situation where 10 of them were not available or had played earlier in the day. And they probably dont train together at all.

I mentioned it earlier in this topic but CIT drew with the Glen a while back and got hammered in replay. CIT had only 17 players at throw in with more subs arriving on through the first half. Most if not all had played that day.

Duhallow hurlers were fixed for last sunday, the day after the duahllow final which Banteer won and nobody from there played. Only 2 kanturk lads played as they had won night before and were playing again this weekend. The composite teams are an afterthought and rarely do much

Is it a requirement of the scholarship for players to play in the club championship?

The UCC team that lost to Newtown in 2014 was almost as star studded as tonight.

Breen, Barron, De Burca, Harnedy Spillanes x2 were all there plus a few more like Willie Griffin, Cormac Murphy and Stephen Maher Tipp.

That makes it an even bigger problem in some respects, as it can screw the outcome of the competition depending on when clubs draw them.

No. But expected to play if available

Ucc footballers play nemo next weekend in quarters. Likely to be too soon for them

That said if UCC win it they might be the Limerick champions .

It’s bizarre shit. Lehane, Farrell, Haughney and the other Midleton lads knocked out by lads from Tipp, Waterford and from other clubs in Cork who have Championship with their own clubs, how in the name of God does that serve the best interests of Cork Hurling? How does Jamie Barron and Tom Devine starring in the Cork Senior Championship do anything of a positive note for Cork Hurling?

No. If Fourmilewater were playing today instead of yesterday Barron and Gleeson would not have been there tonight.

You have to admire the Waterford lads in fairness. Barron has given great service to the College over the years.

Yes. Informally at least.

Edit in line with peddlers…it is as a 2nd priority to club

Conpmetely. Loads of reasons why they dont work just think the chance they might actually win is the least of them

I don’t think it is. It all depends on players commitments. No sign of Billy McCarthy tonight

Yeah i edited my post in line with yours. They are expected to if it doesnt clash with home club