The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

It’s grand. There’s a bit of history re 1798 rebellion as a lot of them went through there, but nothing really above a brief synopsis. A bit on forced emigration to Oz etc.

It’s a cool building inside, well maintained etc, interesting to see conditions and things like that.

If I was in Wicklow I’d go for a look, I wouldn’t go to Wicklow for it. A couple of hours in it max

1 Like

@Rocko, I believe the Bridge in Wicklow town is the best option but its not a great town in fairness. You’d have more options up the road in Greystones. Or try The Pigeon House in Delgany, supposed to be top notch.

Where’s Delgany? Actually makes more sense to eat further north. I said Wicklow Town because I wanted to avoid Avoca near Bray.

Delgany is just outside Greystones. It would have been a separate village years ago but as Greystones as expanded Delgany has almost become part of it.

You go through it on one of the exits off the N11 at the end of the Glen of the Downs when heading south.

1 Like

The Tap is just off the new road. A fine place for a lunch. It’s roughly half way between the Beehive and and Arklow.

2 Likes

Burnaby’s in Greystones is very pleasant.

What is Happy Pear in Greystones like - the lads seem to have a big media presence

@Mac has called this one spot on in fairness. Lovely village with plenty of good eateries. Handy spin back up the motorway.

Didn’t go away “foreign” this summer so have booked Kelly’s in Rosslare for a couple of nights next week before school is back. Eye wateringly expensive so it better live up to the hype *

• seems to be you arrive and they effectively take the kids from you

+1. The Tap is a must visit.

1 Like

An expensive kip alright and slightly overrated in my eyes for the coin you drop. However the grub is very good and if it means you and the mrs get some decent breathing space it might be worth the expense.

1 Like

That sounds awful.

Great shout. Had a lovely luncheon there today. Terrific food, could almost have been in Fingal.

1 Like

Don’t want to be negative on something you’ve booked but I was at Kelly’s a couple of years ago and not all that impressed. Not sure the food was anything like as good as I expected and you either have to eat in a lobby with the kids or put on a blazer and leave the kids somewhere to dine in a stuffy restaurant.

It’s certainly family friendly but I think its reputation is over-egged at this point. Stayed in Druid’s Glen for a few nights this week. Very reasonably priced and the place is full of kids now so all the eating is family friendly, indoor and outdoor playgrounds, pool is good etc. It’s a completely different class of place to Kelly’s but I’d prefer it. Maybe with older kids if you do want to leave them off for a few hours then Kelly’s is better, but it’s not all that handy with a baby I don’t think.

2 Likes

A blazer for dinner! do they think it is a rugby club?

1 Like

Jaysus. A blazer. I was worried it would be full of boat shoe chino wearing cunts alright.

Bring that yellow pants you wear on your trips to America to match it.

I’m far too stylish

Kelly’s is shit.
They had a kids club well before everyone else and the reputation stems from there.
The food is decent in comparison to say the Quality chain but in this day and age when you are bringing young kids that is well down the line of priorities.
There is no pool for small kiddies. The place is full of OAPs so you need to stay away from them with your kids so they put you into a function room away from the adults. After that it’s a kids club which every small horse saloon has nowadays.
They also screw you over when you charge to your room. Cunts. 10% I think for signing for a bottle of wine when u could have given the rotten fuckers cash.
Same when I picked an Irish times off reception one morning instead of paying cash it cost me 10%.
Most over rated hotel in Ireland.

10 Likes

No harm the cunts are too well off