The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

We booked a suite in knockranny. It was absolutely fantastic value. The room was the size of a small village. The staff were fantastic. The food was excellent. Kids not allowed in the pool but you used the place down the road for free. Three nights in the finest room I ever stayed in with a separate room for the snappers in the suite dinner two nights in the restaurant for the adults (very good) and three breakfasts for all midweek offer including spa facials etc for the gaffer and dinners for the kids and wine etc all less than you’d pay for a night room only in a top class London hotel. It was too hot in the evenings in the hotel for me was the only mild complaint. We went to the beach in achill one day, Westport house another and then in quite stunning weather got the snappers up to the top of Croker. It was a fantastic time.
I’m going to enclose what my oul lad described as a classic Irish summer holiday photo as I’m too old to care anymore. It was brilliant.

19 Likes

Classic Flatty. We stayed in Knockranny for a few days after we got married in 2009, it was the weekend that Micheal Jackson kicked the bucket. I couldn’t speak highly enough of the place. Excellent food and great facilities. Westport has plenty on offer, a great base.

Kids not allowed in pool though, that’s a bit much?

Nah it’s grand. It’s clear when you book and they give you passes for just down the road. It’s more a spa type thing really so its fair enough. Glad ye enjoyed it too.

On the back of this (sort of) I have cancelled Kelly’s.

6 Likes

good move, it would have been full of pricks from sandymount, the posh part of rathfarnham and blackrock etc rushing to the reception on checkout morning to book for 12 months down the line because thats what they’ve been doing for 10 years and thats what their friends and neighbours are doing also. fucking apes.
the beach is shit also unless its a very nice day which it wont be.

try the newpark in kilkenny. good pool. good kiddies pool, outdoor hottub, leisure centre with all the trimmings including ice plunge pool, nice bar and decent grub, during holidays they do a very good kids club and have a petting farm as well as owls and hawks and that sort of shit out the back whcih is free

5 Likes

@Rocko, did you not have the option of eating in the Bistro with kids when you were in Kelly’s? I’ve eaten in their main restaurant plenty of times without a blazer so maybe they didn’t like the look of you.

HBVs description is fairly accurate. The current prices reflect the reputation it had in the 90s but they’ve not upped their game since then. Rooms are very average and food is decent but overpriced.

You could do a lot worse than a midweek deal at knockranny. Get a grand suite and you’ll have a bedroom to yourselves. Kids meal in the restaurant was good value too iirc.

3 Likes

Mulranny Park is a grand spot, excellent food. Plaza in westport is a fine hotel.

1 Like

Calling @KinvarasPassion, @Faldo @Lazarus

Any tips on things to do or places to see while taking a short break in Galway?

Galway city?
Just go boozing.

Staying in Galway suburbs.

I think they might have a TK Maxx in Galway.

1 Like

County semi finals on Sunday in Athenry mate… I am bringing a few yanks to put the fear if God in them. Do you want to put the fear of god in her good self?

A walk through Coole park en route to Galway is lovely this time of year. Would break up the journey grand. 10 minutes onwards to Clarinbridge and you have a great appetite built up for Poppyseed for lunch.

New Quay is a 20 minute spin from Kilcogan, a lovely hours walk along flaggy shore followed by some seafood in Linnanes. Again lovely but off your track a bit.

Racing in Galway this weekend I think? @Mac might confirm?

Tribecon is the new hip bar/eatery in Galway city, I ate there last week and its decent, nothing spectacular.

When are you planning on going? There is plenty more to do if you have more specific questions.

1 Like

There is indeed racing. Student day on Monday I believe.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Going off in the morning, wedding Friday & home for the weekend.

How far of the beating track?

Hopefully it will be nothing like student day in Limerick

1 Like

I presume you mean Coole Park, for the sake of clarity, lest it be confused with Cooke’s Corner, which isn’t really worth seeing.

2 Likes

MBB buddy
I’m staying in Tullamore on Thursday night
( business related trip) I won’t be going mad drinking or anything like that, but would like to stay town centre, can’t decide between the bridge hotel or the one on the way in, the court I think it is.
Any recommendations from you would be appreciated and taken as gospel as I know you wouldn’t set me wrong.

I bought a pup off a man in Portlaoise two years ago. He was out the Mountmellick road and had a spare room by the looks of it. Still have his number, so don’t be stuck if MBB can’t sort you out. If you do end up staying with him, will you do me a favour and tell him she’s made a grand dog. Excellent hunter, and would tear lumps out of any fucker coming in around the house. Also, tell him it’s two years and I’m still waiting on the papers.

4 Likes