The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

I can see a big flaw in that plan ironmouth. If the pup is vicious surely the bitch is vicious too. How could I get a decent nights sleep with her growling about the place ready to tear me apart should I wander from the guest room ?

I must also add I’m both upset and disappointed at MBB’s lack of guidance after I made a specific request from him.

Brimmer - let me interject. I’ve often stayed in the Bridge House. It’s a grand hotel - nothing too fancy but the rooms are grand and leisure centre is pretty good. It’s an excellent location in the centre of the town within spitting distance of pubs, cinema etc. The court, while prob ever so slightly more modern is a good 10 min walk to the town centre.

2 Likes

I would have thought that would be a given!

Anyway - she’s a great little bitch. Great with family and kids. Just does not like unwelcome guests around the place. Same as her mother. A hardy Tipp man like you should be sound - bring a handful of kibble and you’ll be away in a hack.

1 Like

Sorry buddy, you should have tagged me. Bridge House was the way to go FWIW

Thank you guys. The bridge it is.

Are you sure? You could miss out on facing into this at 2am on your way back from the jax…

If I had met that in the Bridge last night I’d have ran out of the place.
Nice hotel too. Basic rooms and good etc but very very central.
We went to a pub up the street to the brewery ? Or the tap ? or something along those lines.
Nice friendly spot but lots of biffos in there with notions about being chic and not being roasters … quite amusing actually.

Spent the weekend in Kelly’s in Rosslare. First time there. Seriously impressive set up on every front.

Looking for somehwere to go for New Year’s eve. Any recommendations. A nice hotel and meal somewhere.

I am thinking of taking a week in August and going around the West of Ireland - The Aran Islands, Galway, Mayo. Donegal and that general direct.

Anyone any suggestions

Try the Nox hotel in Galway, pal.

1 Like

Do you want to do all those places or just some of them? You could spend a couple of nights on Aran Island chilling out but could be a stretch to get from there to Donegal then unless you want to spend a fair chunk of time driving?

Agreed. I’d go for just the Aran Islands and Connemara (unless you’ve done it before). You could stretch it to a day/night in westport on the way home.

Was thinking maybe a night in Galway City or out past Clifton followed by two or three nights on one of the Aran Islands followed by a night in Westport or Achil Island and then onto maybe Sligo/ Donegal for a night or two

I’m presuming its with the lady who won’t have seen West of Ireland before. I’d go with 2 nights in Aran Island, 2 nights in Barna and 2 nights in Westport or something to that effect.

I’ve driven through Barna a couple of times and it looked shit.
I’d go on as far as Clifden (slightly less shit), then from there up along the coast to westport.

One night on the Aran Islands would be enough in my view. You can cover the whole of Inishmore in a few hours on a rented bike.

Then Roundstone or Clifden via Leenane and Killary Harbour to Westport (taking in Croagh Patrick and/or Clare Island) and perhaps somewhere up towards Sligo like Enniscrone and then South Donegal, probably Bundoran. You could do the whole coast from Galway up to further north in Donegal in a week but it depends on how much driving you’re willing to do really.

Depends what you’re looking for on Aran Islands. Inisheer is the smallest one and first one you meet as you head out there from Clare side. It is also the most lively at night with a few different pubs (three), two if not all three of them will have music every night in the summer. Great spot, will be heading out there again myself over the summer but unsure which island yet. Inish Mor the big one i have not stayed overnight there but i understand it’s a better island to explore. You’d have the first one all covered in a day for example if you rent a bike. There’s at least two pubs on Inish Mor as well. The third island i understand is not as good as these two.

1 Like

Bundoran is the Las Vegas of Ireland.

The hotel in Barna is a nice base for either heading into the city or heading further west. He can then treat her to a romantic meal in O’Gradys as the sun sets.