The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

Should you eat bread and tomatoes in Killarney?

2 Likes

There’s a four star pizza there under the cinema, would that do?

I covered this before elsewhere.

1 Like

Lads, can you refresh your views on the best places to go for 2-3 nights midweek with your missus that’s no more than a 2-hour drive from Dublin? Looking for a relaxing break so I’m thinking nice hotel / spa / country house style venues rather than cosy B&B / budget hotel type affairs in lively towns. More comfy couch / afternoon tea / quiet evening drink than lively spots.

Kelly’s is probably a bit boring if you’ve no kids and being a Wexican it’s too close to home maybe. Myself and the missus had a lovely break there when we only had the one, the food is outrageously good and the service is 10 out of 10.
The Cliff house in Ardmore could be the spot for ye, that’s where I’d go in your position.

1 Like

Yeah, that immediately came to mind but I’m struggling to think of alternatives.

Kerry and West Cork would throw up a rake of possibilities but it’s a bit further than you’ve said you want to go.

I’d recommend Galway if you haven’t been with herself lately…always craic there during the week…and has plenty of places to see during the day.

It is a nice spot…and it’s in and around 2 hrs from Dublin by motorway I’m sure.

Look at any of the Blue Book places.
http://www.irelands-blue-book.ie

Somewhere like Castle Durrow is nice.
Bellinter House is nice in Meath.

2 Likes

Carton House
Mount Juliet
Lough Rynn
Drumoland Castle
Monart
Lyrath

1 Like

A successful businessman like yourself should be heading to ballyfin buddy. A two night stay full board next week comes in under 2k.

www.ballyfin.com/home.aspx

1 Like

Tell her its a surprise mate and head to clare or kerry coast. Ye can stop for tea in limerick to break the journey and she wont care about the drive once ye are there.

I’m probably heading away for the weekend (decent weather permitting). Looking for somewhere a bit off the beaten path, not too busy/touristy, and a rugged nature/sights type of thing preferred. @Fagan_ODowd you’re always banging on about Dunmore East, would it fit the sort of criteria i mentioned above? Outside of Waterford i’d be thinking something like Wexford or Cork (somewhere around Youghal maybe?). So that whole east Cork/Waterford/Wexford area. Any sensible suggestions welcomed.

1 Like

Has she given you any guidance or have you to decide it all?

there is a lot of stuff to do and see in the whole east Waterford and south west Wexford area. Set up camp at Faithlegg house for a bit of browny points and get to your locations from there.

1 Like

My idea was go to the Curragh Saturday and/or Sunday but don’t think she fancies that. She wants to go to Wexford. :confounded:

I’d rather not drive all the way to Wexford.

Where would i go Gman? I want to stick to the coast. Looking at the map we have Duncannon, Tramore (no), Dungarvan, Youghal as likely options down around there. Would rather not venture deeper into Cork beyond Youghal at a stretch.

It must be getting serious :heart_eyes:

I’d stick just to that general area, you have Cheekpoint near Faithlegg, Passage east, Dunmore, Woodstown and then crossing over into Wexford you’d have Duncannon, the hook head and Fethard and back around through New Ross if you wanted (dont) and into Waterford city for a loop back into Faithlegg. Plenty to see and do in the area and plenty of good places to eat and drink.

edit: some websites that explain it better than me.

http://www.discoverdunmore.com/

2 Likes

If you have to head that direction but don’t want to go beyond youhal you could try Garryvoe, a decent hotel right on the beach. The beach directly in front of the hotel isn’t great but a shortly stroll in either direction will lead you to some nice sandy stretches. Food in either the bar or restaurant is good too. Lovely views across the bay to ballycotton light house. There is literally nothing else there bar the hotel though. There’s another hotel in Ballycotton with great views and has the benefit of being in a small town so there’s 3 or 4 pubs/restaurants

2 Likes