The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

Garryvoe would be ideal for a romantic weekend if that’s your thing Smark, hotel does great food and you’re a short spin from some lovely scenery down there, the beach itself is top class, Ballycotton only over the road, Ballymaloe house on your doorstep, Midleton is a great town for grub, you could visit the Christy Ring statue in Cloyne,
Youghal is a bit of a kip, would your budget stretch to the Cliff House in Ardmore?

1 Like

It would yeah, this could be a frequent deal so i’m not going to start splashing out on top end places unless good reason. Some great suggestions there, thanks.

1 Like

Great call, don’t be getting her too used to top notch places in the early days. Sage Restaurant in Middleton is top notch and worth the drive for dinner if you are in that neck of the woods. Granted it would mean one of you would have to drive back to the hotel after dinner.

1 Like

She knows i’m a bit “savvy” shall we say with money. Those waters were tested early on. On one of our first dates we incorporated a trip to the cinema and i insisted on buying snacks and water in the shop before hand and i stuffed it all into her handbag.

12 Likes

By God. And people say romance is dead.

5 Likes

Off topic but I encountered what seemed like two first dates from Tinder meet ups in the last week. The first was in Tom Collins - a Limerick lass and a fella from West Cork. A total mismatch. She was necking the ales and knew all the locals, while yer man was all quiet drinking the Diet Coke.

The second was a cinema date - him, drove up from South Tipp in casual Tshirt and jeans. Her, from Tralee, wearing a dress and some scary make up. Anyway, smart Kerry woman, she tells him that she’ll pay for the snacks if he wants to get the tickets. She then tells him she wouldn’t be a fan of popcorn, and out of solidarity, he says he wouldn’t eat much. So, they end up with a couple of bottles of water and a bag of sweets, and a nice bit of change back for herself. Despite their differences, they seemed to be getting on very well and I could envisage further dates between the two.

Smark - have you Kerry blood in you?

3 Likes

I don’t. Yeah you’d often see a “tinder date” nowadays you can spot them a mile off. I’d say they go to the same sort of spots in Limerick. I spotted a very clear and awkward date in Mickey Martins pub some weeks back.

1 Like

Here you can stay the fuck out of Dunmore you miserable penny pinching cunt.

10 Likes

He’s better off away from that Spinnaker shithole with its bad fish

1 Like

:grin:

Great retort, harsh but fair. Now, give me the real lowdown about Dunmore you cantankerous bollix.

I was there for a night once. Grand spot. Fairly unremarkable but there’s a few decent drives around the area

They have two tennis courts. An upper court and a lower court. The place is probably crawling with Protestants.

Youghal is an absolute shithole

Almost guaranteed to have a wedding in garryvoe at the weekend at this time of year. Smashing spot

Good shout. Spin into Waterford for a spot of shopping if she fancies it. Spin onto Dunmore for grub, Ferry across to Wexford & hit Wexford town or anywhere in that area that takes your fancy.

Another good shout, nice hotel with excellent food. There are also very nice eateries in Ballycotton just up the road.

Weather doesn’t seem too hectic this weekend though, pal. So coastal visiting could be rough enough.

Had to cancel holiday in Portugal on Doctors orders, Mrs Goode on the nest, within normal timeframe just precautions.

Booked Kelly’s in Rosslare for next week based on TFK posts, fuck me it’s a busy place, had to use contact through credit card to get in. It says ‘smart casual’ for dinner, does anyone know how strict this is? I go from suit to jeans or shorts and unlikely to have anything that some southsider like Tim Riggins in ‘middle management’ would wear while watching the rogbee.

1 Like

Kelly’s will certainly not embarrass you on the issue, do not turn up in a wife beater and flip flops, In this weather shorts won’t be a problem, maybe a polo shirt.
Kelly’s is a lovely place, we only ever ate in the room where the kids can go and have the disco etc, as far as I remember the food was much the same, as in outstanding.
You could always get yourself a nice pair of slim fit navy chinos if you’re worried at all.

1 Like

Not a fucking chance.

No worries, I only ever wear chinos for work or occasions (they go well with trainers for a funeral) but you said you wore suits every day, would you never dress down a little or is that not an option, some lovely chinos around at the moment. :flushed:

Regarding a holiday in East Cork and the surrounding areas, the best nearby hotel is the Cliff, cheaper options would be Fota and Garryvoe. Castlemartyr Resort is ok if you get a deal, its really 5 star in name only and the food is very average.

Things to do - stroll around Ardmore, Dungarvan, Cobh, Castelmartyr Resort’s grounds, Garryvoe, Ballycotton, and Rostellan. Fota Zoo. Midleton distillery. Cork city prison.

Best restaurants - they are a much of a muchness but Midleton is probably best for choice, starting with Sage, Farmgate and the Thai restaurant. White Horses in Ardmore and Gilberts in Cobh. The Pepperstack in Rostellan and Pier 26 in Ballycotton have good reputations but I haven’t been to either. Midleton has some nice cafes on the main street now as well. The golf club in Castlemartyr resort has ok bar food with a nice view of the grounds and a nice atmosphere, the main restaurant is over-priced and the Italian is supposed to be shit.

Pub and chipper - Shortts in Castlemartyr, Roma Grill and the Nook in Youghal, Finins in Midleton.

Avoid - Carrigtwohill (biggest kip ever), the areas north of Castlemartyr, Youghal (I like it but tbf its awfully run down, Ardmore and Dungarvan are just up the road and much nicer, also a lot of the established restaurants are over-rated/expensive, like Ahernes). No reason to go to Killeagh, Ballymacoda and these various other drive through villages.

6 Likes