The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

That was going back a while, have you decided or have you already been @Smark

Good post TBF, I’d disagree about Ahernes in Youghal though, it’s a great place for seafood and not that expensive.
Youghal has very happy memories for me, we holidayed there three years in a row from 83-85, Perks on the seafront and Claycastle pitch and putt were highlights back then.

Ah here Ahernes is very pricey. Quality is fine but there are a number of other places that are superior in the area. Perks was shut down the last time I was home, have good memories of Youghal as well but when you bring someone from outside Cork/Ireland there the reaction is usually one of shock, followed by a desire to leave asap.

1 Like

Perks on the seafront is closed nearly twenty years I’d say?
They had/have a place over by the greyhound track where I once followed Jimmy Barry Murphy around copying his bets,
You are probably right about the prices in Ahernes, we’ve often stopped there for Lunch when most mains are close to 20euro but they’re dinner quality dishes and the seafood is amazing, as far as I recall they will do decent options for kids, small portions from the main menu etc.

Yeah the people that work there are nice out. Great place for a pint on a cold Winter night, has a nice Christmas feel to it. I usually come away happy…assuming I’m not the poor bastard paying.

I took the little one to a place that I’m pretty sure was called Perks in Youghal, when we were down that way recently

That must still be there so, it’s just a soulless industrial estate unit now like Funworld on the Ennis road, they had the most scenic funfair on the planet back in the 80s, looking onto the sea, it was the place to be of an evening. I’m welling up here thinking about it.

Ya it was a woeful looking kip outside and I gave it second thoughts about going in, but in fairness it was grand inside.

1 Like

We visited perks a good few times in the 80s. I also have happy memories of it.

Kellys is an absolute mugs paradise. This has been well established before on here I wonder on whose recommendations did you decide to book it?

1 Like

It strikes me that if I wanted a recommendation to enjoy myself with my family you would probably be the last person on earth I would go to for advice. I’d say you’re some miserable fucker to be around on holiday.

7 Likes

You’re an awful bully @backinatracksuit.
Well done. :wave:

Kelly’s is for people who want to be able to say they were in Kelly’s. Its full of south co Dubliners checking out and booking for 12 months away just like their parents did before. It’s facilities for small children are straight from the 80s. There is no shallow pool. There are half dead human s in white plimsoles lying round the property with a do not disturb sign on them, not kid friendly.
Your kids will be shoehorned into a function room away from other humans. The kids club disco thing is a standard now everywhere but may hve been something to tlk about 30 year’s ago. The rooms might have been interesting in 1985 but they are shit now
They charge you 10% for anything thou charge to your room.
The food is very good in fairness.
Kelly’s is the most over rated hotel in Ireland

Haven’t got down there yet but in the back of my mind to do so later in the summer. I want to go down around Ballycotton area.

2 Likes

Where would you recommend for 3 days away with wife and 2 toddlers, mate?

Quality Hotel Youghal. Did it last year, worked for us. Its on the beach front and plenty to do around

3 Likes

All the quality hotels are great for kids in fairness, we’ve not been to Youghal but Clonakilty and Killarney have great facilities, I’ve never eaten a decent meal or even breakfast in a quality hotel but that’s not too important when you can eat outside. The one in Clon even has a cinema next door and some fantastic kid friendly pubs and restaurants a very short drive away.

3 Likes

Inland, New park Kilkenny. Good hotel, good bar, good grub, good kids club and a farm/ petting zoo type thing on site. Handy access into town.

Coastal, clonakilty Quality. Very kid friendly, all kids activities, cinema on the grounds, grub so so but walk into town for dinner. 3 or 4 good beaches within 10 minutes.

5 Likes

:astonished: I could have written that post myself!! In fact I think I did write some of it in my previous post, you could have stuck an old like on mine to extend a very miniature olive branch. :expressionless:

Great post mate.

Jesus mate, grow a pair and move on.

1 Like