The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

Kelly’s is a mugs paradise kid. Iv established this fact on here before.
It’s the most overrated hostelry in the state.

1 Like

I haven’t paid for it so don’t care.

As stated previously I’ve never stayed in an Irish hotel bar stags, weddings or a night. It’s grand, I’m easy going enough though so I don’t go around trying to pick faults.

It’s taken me 2.5 hours to drive here. Only for Dr’s Orders I’d be in Portugal, and in that time.

I don’t envisage ever holidaying in Ireland like this again…unless it’s a boy in Sept? Then I’d say she’ll go again for a daughter.

Spent a couple of nights in Wexford over the weekend. Went to Morris Castle Camping Park. Very nice. 4 star rating, had tennis courts, 5 a side soccer pitch, playground and of course the dunes and the sea. Would recommend it. Very family friendly.

2 Likes

Right lads, I’m trying to convince the boss to hit West Waterford or else somewhere like Wexford for a handy 2/3 nights… I’m after scenery but she’s after 5 star… Not opposed to going anywhere in the country really but I’m mad to see west Waterford and ive only ever driven through Wexford so they are as good as anywhere to go.

Dunbrody House is a nice spot, not far from Hook head lighthouse, lovely walk by the coast there.

There’s obviously the cliff house in Ardmore if you have plenty of money to spend which has a very nice cliff walk close by.

I’m led to believe that Hanoras Cottage in the nire valley is decent, @Fagan_ODowd might confirm or deny. It’s a real picturesque spot very close to some spectacular drives across the Comeraghs and not to far from Mahon Falls for a very nice walk

1 Like

Stayed in a spot outside Wexford town as a kid. It’s more a family hotel than anything but myself n’herself put down a few nights there back in 08 and it was still pretty decent.

It’ll be full of kids in the summer, and to be honest it’ll be a bit of a roaster convention there. It’s called Whitford House.

Fao of @ChocolateMice. Dunbrody is just the other side of the river from faithlegg. 2 very good spots for a bit of relaxation and keeping the better half happy.

1 Like

Hanora’s is in god’s own country, my ancestors land

Have a look at the website.
No children.

www.hanorascottage.com

1 Like

You won’t go wrong with Donegal for scenary and sound locals. Stayed in a Gaeltacht there a couple of years ago which I’ve mentioned before on here.

Ever since I’ve been fair tempted to drive across the coastline from Northern Donegal over to Antrim at some stage…I’d like to see it.

1 Like

you should do pal. some nice spots in Derry too

Are you for real?. The only place worth visiting in Derry is the cemetery in Belllaghy. Ra folk will understand the significance.

I did a drive, derry, ballykelly, portrush (i know not derry) and up to ballycastle & back down to the meath coast, some great scenery in the north

Not just the RA. It’s astounding that a village of less than a thousand people could produce Francis Hughes, Thomas McElwee, Dominic and Mary McGlinchey, and before I forget Seamus Heaney. Another thing I had forgotten is how close it is to Belfast.

White’s hotel in Wexford town is very nice if you fancy that, Wexford is a nice town, narrow streets and nice to walk around but not much to do, lovely beaches about 20 minutes away. Whites has some 5 star trimmings and does very decent food, good spa, pool etc.

But if you can afford it at all Cliff House should be top of the list,
Don’t forget to bring the old doll to the magic road in Mahon falls, women go mental for it. :smiley:

1 Like

Going for your holidays in oireland. How twee. Sitting in a caravan in ballybunion for two weeks in the pissing rain

7 Likes

The Brits have the right idea, off to Blackpool or Lanzarote for a week.

You get a better class of people going to Cornwall.

I’ve been to Spain this year and will be back there in September… I had a trip to France also so I’ll take princess off for a short romantic break…but I’ll be staying within the EU. What’s in non EU countries like England? Baked beans and cheap larger… It’s important that we support our own.

1 Like

Ih bin ein European

1 Like

That’s why 3m tans live on the continent, mate. Who doesn’t want to be European? Anyway the Mrs has now voiced a preference for our European brothers in Dingle… I’m half afraid to ask about it as the chuckle brothers, @TreatyStones and @Julio_Geordio will spend the day telling us tall tales of their adventures supping porter below there.

3 Likes